Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX 6.1 reach the threshold of stream(no -a|grep strthresh) Post 302770905 by MichaelFelt on Tuesday 19th of February 2013 02:31:39 AM
Old 02-19-2013
Quote:
and now i suspect the problem is network issue but i don't know how to affirm that.
I have been approaching this as an AIX configuration issue because changing a setting has helped it "go away". Needed: better definition of what you mean by "network issue".

Some data during/after the problem (during - repeating commands to look for deltas helps pin-point what the system is trying to say).

Sort of: no Pain, no Gain.

In any case - real data values - during a backup are needed to know if we are looking at this properly.

FYI: not sure what the limits are these days. Back when CHRP (Common Hardware Reference Platform) first came out IP buffers were limited to 4x 256MB memory, or 1G - up to 50% of memory (so, when more than 2G of memory, maximum was 1G)
no -o thewall tells us the HW limit (1k value) - so roughly, drop 6 digits, and you get the GByte value - on my system with 9G - that makes it near 50% still.

Your number: thewall = 47448064 goes down to 47.
I do not see this as being your limiting factor - unless it is conflicting with something else. However, there is a second variable to set a limit under thewall.

Quote:
You can also use the maxmbuf tunable to lower the thewall limit. You can view the maxmbuf tunable value by running the lsattr -E -l sys0 command . If the maxmbuf value is greater than 0 , the maxmbuf value is used regardless of the value of thewall tunable.
The default value for the maxmbuf tunable is 0. A value of 0 for the maxmbuf tunable indicates that the thewall tunable is used. You can change the maxmbuf tunable value by using the chdev or smitty commands.

Hope this helps moving forward!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reach to the end of the file?

What is the command, which takes cursor to the end of file which is opened within vi editor? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

2. BSD

How to reach files from tape drive using dd

Hi all! I have problem with copying files from tape drive. The contents of tape: silverman# tcopy /dev/sa1 file 0: block size 10240: 21 records file 0: eof after 21 records: 215040 bytes file 1: block size 10240: 20712 records file 1: eof after 20712 records: 212090880 bytes file 2:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d3m00n
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

can't reach host with ipv6

Hi all, First I know little about ipv6. I have two target. A and B,A and B connet with each other *directly* with line.and I can ping each other with ipv4 For A: # ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:21:9B:80:51:68 inet addr:128.224.159.188 Bcast:128.224.159.255... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Video stream] network stream recording with mplayer

Hi I used this command: mplayer http://host/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi -user root -passwd root \ -cache 1024 -fps 25.0 -nosound -vc ffh264 \ -demuxer 3 -dumpstream -dumpfile output.avi It's ok but... Video Playing is very fast! Why? Is it a synch problem? What parameter I have to use for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: takeo.kikuta
1 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

How to setup Email notification when storage reach certain % ?

Hi, I recently research on how auto-mailing to notify the increase of storage size. I try avoid schedule/routine checkup the storage to determine increase the storage size. It is time-consuming. Any comment on how to get the storage size %? and automatically trigger mailing function instead... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: i-counsellor
16 Replies

6. AIX

AIX Scan Rate threshold

Hi Guys, The management is being frisky about scan rate in the range of a few thousands ( 4 digit scan rates occasionally). After much research ive concluded that its ok to have high scan rates , unless it leads to swapping/ it falls above 1:4 ratio with free rate (fr:sr) My question is:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzahed
2 Replies

7. AIX

When AIX audit start, How to set the /audit/stream.out file size ?

Dear All When I start the AIX(6100-06)audit subsystem. the log will save in /audit/stream.out (or /audit/trail), but in default when /audit/stream.out to grow up to 150MB. It will replace the original /audit/stream.out (or /audit/trail). Then the /audit/stream.out become empty and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script to reach remote servers

new3=`cat /tmp/list3` for pol in "$new3" $(su - dbadmin -c "ssh $new3 '/usr//llist'"); do export policy=`echo $pol`; su - dbadmin -c "ssh $x '/usr/policycmd $policy -L |grep -i active; echo $policy'">>/tmp/listxyz;done I am having trouble with this testscript as the file list3 has two names... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Trying to reach Neo, but unable to.

Hello, I am trying to reach forum administrator Neo because of specific material that he posted here. I cannot reach him directly via PM him unless I have made 10 posts, but at the same time I don't want to spam the forum with 10 posts just to be able to PM him. I assume I won't be able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Artashes
3 Replies
audit_memory_usage(5)						File Formats Manual					     audit_memory_usage(5)

NAME
audit_memory_usage - percentage of physical memory that can be used by audit subsystem VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
The tunable defines the percentage of physical memory that can be used by audit records. If the audit record memory usage exceeds the limit, the audit subsystem blocks the system call until memory usage comes down inside the limit. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Administrator with proper privileges can change the value of Restrictions on Changing This tunable value can be changed any time, as this is a dynamic tunable; but its value can not be lowered below the memory currently used by the audit subsystem for records. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? When the system to be audited is critical and generates many records. What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? If the system is generating great number of records, and the value is raised, then it can create a lot of unflushed memory and might slow down the system. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? When the audit subsystem is not generating many records. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? If many audit records are generated, then the auditing subsystem might block the system call. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
audit(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters audit_memory_usage(5)