Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can we configure link based IPMP in private connectivity in Oracle RAC Post 302770787 by DGPickett on Monday 18th of February 2013 11:02:05 AM
Old 02-18-2013
OK, if you have two nics on server A with crossover cables to two nics on server b, it will be no different than if they were connected with a hub, bridge or switch. They each need their own small IP address nets. Then, why should IPMP care what the network fabric is?

I am not personally experienced with crossover cables. I heard that it can be hard to get them to behave if one server is powered off, but perhaps some nic firmware has stepped up to this. It seems like a frequently overlooked inexpensive and fast network fabric, with no collisions and in full duplex with not much length limitation. NICs are cheap, and wire is far cheaper than gigabit switches! You might run out of slots after a while. There is much need for this sort of bandwidth with high performance SAN and RDBMS client-server configurations.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Link based Active Active IPMP

Hi, I need to configure 4 ip address (same subnet and mask) in one ipmp group (two interfaces) in an active active formation (link based). Can some one provide the steps or a tutorial link. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
2 Replies

2. Solaris

IPMP on Private interconnects

I have a Oracle dbase running in a Solaris 10 cluster and have two private interconnects that are being used for communication. Is there any way to connect these two interconnects together using IPMP for redundancy? I've made several attempts with no luck so far and was wondering if anyone had... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
17 Replies

3. Solaris

Link Based IPMP on Shared IP Solaris Zone

Hi, This may have already been raised previously so sorry for the duplication. What I want to achieve is have a physical server using link based IPMP setup in the global zone (not problem doing that) and then create a zone set as Shared-IP so when the servers NIC has an issue the IP will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giles.cardew
0 Replies
IPX_CMD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							IPX_CMD(8)

NAME
ipx_cmd - bridge between Novell's SCMD driver and local IPX network SYNOPSIS
ipx_cmd -A server name [ -l local interface name ] DESCRIPTION
ipx_cmd moves packets from tapN to server and vice versa. It is something like IPX Tunnel, but it uses Novell Netware 5 server Compatibil- ity Mode Driver (AKA Migration Agent) on the other end of wire. You must first configure your kernel tapN device with IPX EthernetII frame and with network number set up on server (you can use kernel autodetection). OPTIONS
-A server name This is IP name of compatibility mode server. You can use DNS name or dotted quad to specify server address. -l local interface name This allows you to specify, which of your IP addresses should be used as IP address of client side of CMD driver. You must configure your tapN device with hardware address 7E:01:AA:BB:CC:DD, where AA:BB:CC:DD is your IP address in hexa. EXAMPLE
If you are on server platan.vc.cvut.cz (147.32.240.81) and your migration agent runs on server boris.vc.cvut.cz, you can configure your system with: insmod ethertap ifconfig tap0 hw ether 7E:01:93:20:F0:51 up ipx_interface add -p tap0 EtherII ipx_cmd -A boris.vc.cvut.cz -l 147.32.240.81 & BUGS
This program was written to satisfy my own needs and should be really improved. At least it should configure tap interface itself. AUTHOR
Petr Vandrovec <vandrove@vc.cvut.cz> ipx_cmd IPX Utilities IPX_CMD(8)