Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Remove duplicate value from file? Post 302770753 by zazzybob on Monday 18th of February 2013 08:08:25 AM
Old 02-18-2013
As long as you specify the correct path to your input file in the file variable in the script, it should work. In the example below the input file is foo.txt and it exists in the same directory as foo.sh, which is also your present working directory.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Duplicate Lines in File

I am doing KSH script to remove duplicate lines in a file. Let say the file has format below. FileA 1253-6856 3101-4011 1827-1356 1822-1157 1822-1157 1000-1410 1000-1410 1822-1231 1822-1231 3101-4011 1822-1157 1822-1231 and I want to simply it with no duplicate line as file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teh Tiack Ein
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove Duplicate lines from File

I have a log file "logreport" that contains several lines as seen below: 04:20:00 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but responded to ping 06:38:08 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but responded to ping 07:11:05 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
18 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and Remove Duplicate on file

How do we sort and remove duplicate on column 1,2 retaining the record with maximum date (in feild 3) for the file with following format. aaa|1234|2010-12-31 aaa|1234|2010-11-10 bbb|345|2011-01-01 ccc|346|2011-02-01 bbb|345|2011-03-10 aaa|1234|2010-01-01 Required Output ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mabarif16
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a file - Remove Duplicate

Hi I have a file in the following format. Basically the file contains tablename and their aliases: TABLE1 TABLE1 A TABLE2 TABLE2 B TABLE3 TABLE4 TABLE4 C TABLE4 Upon formatting an sql statement I am getting such output. Problem: Whenever a tablename appears with alias, it has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakygs
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove of duplicate line from a file

I have a file a.txt having content like deepak ram sham deepram sita kumar I Want to delete the first line containing "deep" ... I tried using... grep -i 'deep' a.txt It gives me 2 rows...I want to delete the first one.. + need to know the command to delete the line from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saluja.deepak
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I remove the duplicate lines in this file?

Hey guys, need some help to fix this script. I am trying to remove all the duplicate lines in this file. I wrote the following script, but does not work. What is the problem? The output file should only contain five lines: Later! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the duplicate content in a file

Here is the contents of test.txt Dependencies Resolved Changes in packages about to be updated: ChangeLog for: 1:perl-Archive-Extract-0.38-131.el6_4.x86_64, - Resolves: #915692 - CVE-2013-1667 (DoS in rehashing code) Dependencies Resolved Changes in packages about to be updated: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines from a file

Hi, I have a csv file which contains some millions of lines in it. The first line(Header) repeats at every 50000th line. I want to remove all the duplicate headers from the second occurance(should not remove the first line). I don't want to use any pattern from the Header as I have some... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakar T
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate values in a column(not in the file)

Hi Gurus, I have a file(weblog) as below abc|xyz|123|agentcode=sample code abcdeeess,agentcode=sample code abcdeeess,agentcode=sample code abcdeeess|agentadd=abcd stereet 23343,agentadd=abcd stereet 23343 sss|wwq|999|agentcode=sample1 code wqwdeeess,gentcode=sample1 code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
4 Replies
OPEN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   OPEN(1)

NAME
open -- open files and directories SYNOPSIS
open [-e] [-t] [-f] [-F] [-W] [-R] [-n] [-g] [-h] [-b bundle_identifier] [-a application] file ... [--args arg1 ...] DESCRIPTION
The open command opens a file (or a directory or URL), just as if you had double-clicked the file's icon. If no application name is speci- fied, the default application as determined via LaunchServices is used to open the specified files. If the file is in the form of a URL, the file will be opened as a URL. You can specify one or more file names (or pathnames), which are interpreted relative to the shell or Terminal window's current working directory. For example, the following command would open all Word files in the current working directory: open *.doc Opened applications inherit environment variables just as if you had launched the application directly through its full path. This behavior was also present in Tiger. The options are as follows: -a application Specifies the application to use for opening the file -b bundle_indentifier Specifies the bundle identifier for the application to use when opening the file -e Causes the file to be opened with /Applications/TextEdit -t Causes the file to be opened with the default text editor, as determined via LaunchServices -f Reads input from standard input and opens the results in the default text editor. End input by sending EOF character (type Control-D). Also useful for piping output to open and having it open in the default text editor. -F Opens the application "fresh," that is, without restoring windows. Saved persistent state is lost, except for Untitled documents. -W Causes open to wait until the applications it opens (or that were already open) have exited. Use with the -n flag to allow open to func- tion as an appropriate app for the $EDITOR environment variable. -R Reveals the file(s) in the Finder instead of opening them. -n Open a new instance of the application(s) even if one is already running. -g Do not bring the application to the foreground. -h Searches header locations for a header whose name matches the given string and then opens it. Pass a full header name (such as NSView.h) for increased performance. --args All remaining arguments are passed to the opened application in the argv parameter to main(). These arguments are not opened or inter- preted by the open tool. EXAMPLES
"open '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'" opens the document in the default application for its type (as determined by LaunchServices). "open '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/'" opens that directory in the Finder. "open -a /Applications/TextEdit.app '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'" opens the document in the application specified (in this case, TextE- dit). "open -b com.apple.TextEdit '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'" opens the document in the application specified (in this case, TextEdit). "open -e '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'" opens the document in TextEdit. "ls | open -f" writes the output of the 'ls' command to a file in /tmp and opens the file in the default text editor (as determined by LaunchServices). "open http://www.apple.com/" opens the URL in the default browser. "open 'file://localhost/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'" opens the document in the default application for its type (as determined by Launch- Services). "open 'file://localhost/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/'" opens that directory in the Finder. "open -h NSView" lists headers whose names contain NSView and allows you to choose which ones to open. "open -a Xcode -h NSString.h" quickly opens /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSString.h in Xcode. HISTORY
First appeared in NextStep. Mac OS X February 10, 2004 Mac OS X