Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expect_out(buffer) works but it doesn't get all lines Post 302770416 by capacho6666 on Friday 15th of February 2013 04:27:15 PM
Old 02-15-2013
I am not sure what you mean.

I think my problem relies on the construction of the regular expresion for the "expect" command. My command's output has many lines (including new lines) and it doesn't follow a pattern

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect_out(buffer) empty

I have only some info into my buffer, but after a rssi command I see the folowing lines expected into buffer but not present : rssi=-106 rssi=-109 I see in my buffer only the first part of the output, here you are a part of script : #!/usr/bin/expect -f #global expect_out match_max 10000000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ugobale
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works but doesn't with cron

Good morning, The script below without the hilited text successfully FTPs the files in question to the other server when it is called from the crontab. I don't want to establish an FTP connection when there are no files so I tried including the hilited lines to only establish an FTP connection... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: philplasma
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect_out buffer no such variable running script background

I am trying to use send and receive using expect. the expect_out(buffer) is working fine while it is running it as foreground. But the same script when it is ran as background, the expect_out(buffer) errored out. Is there any factor influence when we run script in foreground and in background? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works but doesn't?

Hi everyone I'm new here so and I'm just starting to learn a bit of Solaris and I'm working on repairing 10 year old scripts for our system here at work. When I execute the commands at my prompt everything go's through smooth. I'm using gedit to edit my code because I'm still getting used to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 82280zx
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

Samba 3.0.33 (sorta) works, 3.5.4 doesn't

I'm trying to get a RHEL 5.4 base system to authenticate against a W2K8 domain With the stock samba-3.0.33, I can use wbinfo and getent just fine, but I cannot actually authenticate. Googling finally led to a bug that strongly suggests that 3.0.33 cannot and will never be able to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnojr
1 Replies

6. Programming

[SOLVED] Flushing expect_out(buffer) inside a loop

Greetings, Having an issue with the expect_out(buffer). in a foreach loop through some switches I am grabbing some arp table information and writing it out to output files (1 each for each switch looped through). The first iteration works fine. the second iteration of the loop writes the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SuperSix4
0 Replies

7. Programming

Flushing expect_out(buffer)

Can some one tell me how to flush expect_out(buffer)? below is my code expect -re {.*} {} expect "swpackages>*" send -i $con "trial.bat \r" set outcome $expect_out(buffer) expect "*continue*" set prevreport $expect_out(buffer) send "\r \r"; problem is :- I am getting "pre" stuffs... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cityprince143
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Jumbled output in expect_out(buffer)

I have a code like this : set ipv6_acl_max_chars test_acl_max_chars123456a789%s%d2345678ww134rt789qa23456789012345%c89012%a56789012x4r67890test_acl_max_chars1234567890.01234aabcdob34567aBC0 spawn telnet $myip expect "Login:" { send "admin\r" } expect "Password:" {send "admin\r" }... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ylucki
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to parse expect_out(buffer)

trying to telnet to a device, list the files, and delete them. I can get the script to telnet and log in OK, and even issue the command to list out the files. I can't figure out how to parse the expect_out(buffer) and extract the file name for use in the delete command. the files list out like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imatinkerer
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSh works but sftp doesn't for all users except root

I am sorry if i post in wrong Form. i have AIX server in which ssh works for all users but sftp only works for root user . it is too much important for me to solve this . Your help will be greatly appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khalid khanAIB
1 Replies
grep(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   grep(1)

Name
       grep, egrep, fgrep - search file for regular expression

Syntax
       grep [option...] expression [file...]

egrep [option...] [expression] [file...]

fgrep [option...] [strings] [file]

Description
       Commands  of  the family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern.  Normally, each line found is copied
       to the standard output.

The command patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of which uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm.  The command patterns
       are  full  regular  expressions.  The command uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.  The command pat-
       terns are fixed strings.  The command is fast and compact.

In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file.  Take care when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and   in  the
       expression because they are also meaningful to the Shell.  It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '.

The command searches for lines that contain one of the (new line-separated) strings.

The command accepts extended regular expressions.  In the following description `character' excludes new line:

A  followed by a single character other than new line matches that character.

The character ^ matches the beginning of a line.

The character $ matches the end of a line.

A .  (dot) matches any character.

A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character.

A  string  enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string.	Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated
	      as in `a-z0-9'.  A ] may occur only as the first character of the string.  A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken	as
	      a range indicator.

A  regular  expression  followed	by  an	* (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular
	      expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular expression  followed
	      by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression.

Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second.

Two regular expressions separated by | or new line match either a match for the first or a match for the second.

A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression.

The  order  of  precedence  of  operators at the same parenthesis level is the following:  [], then *+?, then concatenation, then | and new
       line.

Options
       -b	   Precedes each output line with its block number.  This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by context.

-c	   Produces count of matching lines only.

-e expression
		   Uses next argument as expression that begins with a minus (-).

-f file	   Takes regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) from file.

-i	   Considers upper and lowercase letter identical in making comparisons and only).

-l	   Lists files with matching lines only once, separated by a new line.

-n	   Precedes each matching line with its line number.

-s	   Silent mode and nothing is printed (except error messages).	This is useful for checking the error status (see DIAGNOSTICS).

-v	   Displays all lines that do not match specified expression.

-w	   Searches for an expression as for a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>').  For further information, see only.

-x	   Prints exact lines matched in their entirety only).

Restrictions
       Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated.

Diagnostics
       Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files.

See Also
       ex(1), sed(1), sh(1)

grep(1)