Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Korn Shell help - Using parameter to create variable names Post 302770412 by DGPickett on Friday 15th of February 2013 04:11:05 PM
Old 02-15-2013
Not sure what your read was supposed to do. The read example worked for you, didn't it?

Eval is like 'echo ... | ksh' but cheaper without the fork, exec, pipe, nice in high rep loops.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I make dynamic parameter names? Or get the value of a parameter evaluated twi

Say I write something like the following: var1=1 var2=2 for int in 1 2 do echo "\$var$int" done I want the output to be: 1 2 Instead I get something like: $var1 $var2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awanka
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compound variable in korn shell

in a text " Korn Shell Unix programming Manual 3° Edition" i have found this sintax to declare a compoud variable: variable=( fild1 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compound variable in korn shell

in a text " Korn Shell Unix programming Manual 3° Edition" i have found this sintax to declare a compoud variable: variable=( fild1 fild1 ) but this sintax in ksh and sh (HP-UNIX) not work... why?? exist another solution for this type of variable ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Variable values difference

I am using two shell scripts a.ksh and b.ksh a.ksh 1. Sets the value +++++++++++++++++ export USER1=abcd1 export PASSWORD=xyz +++++++++++++++++ b.ksh 2. Second scripts calls sctipt a.ksh and uses the values set in a.ksh and pass to an executable demo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunalseth
2 Replies

5. Programming

How to refer to variable (korn shell)?

Hi I have the following block of code in korn shell and don't now how to refer to variable `print variable1.$dvd` ? --- integer dvd=4 integer number=0 while (( dvd!=0 )) do print "Iteracja numer : $dvd" print "$_" #it refers to $dvd var but want to refer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

6. Programming

create a spool file based on values passed from korn shell to sql script

this is my issue. 4 parameters are passed from korn shell to sql script. parameter_1= varchar2 datatype or no value entered my user. parameter_2= number datatype or no value entered my user. parameter_3= number datatype or no value entered my user. parameter_4= number datatype or no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to import a variable Used in Another Korn Shell Script?

Hi I am using two shell scripts which are running on the system simultaneously. And in one of the script i am exporting an Integer Variable. Now i want to use the variable in another script. But i cannot run the first script in the second as the first script has many other functions which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajesh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Segregate by suffixed file names using Korn Shell

I have following files at /dir1 a.csv.20131201 b.csv.20131201 c.csv.20131201 d.csv.20131201 a.csv.20131202 b.csv.20131202 c.csv.20131202 d.csv.20131202 ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... I need to move these files to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaisonJ
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass script with parameter in korn shell script

I have written a script which will take input parameter as another script. However, if the script passed as input parameter has parameters then this script doesn't work. I have a script b.ksh which has 1 and 2 as parameters I have a script c.ksh which has 3,4 and 5 as parameters vi a.ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vee
1 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)