Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't Output Piped Perl In-line command to a File Post 302770227 by Corona688 on Thursday 14th of February 2013 10:46:48 PM
Old 02-14-2013
No idea why perl does that, but you can try this:
Code:
awk '{ gsub(/,/,""); $0=$7 } 1'

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl... how to tell if a piped command is still running?

I'm using the fabulous perl. I need a way to tell when a piped call to "open" has completed. Can I do this with a command like <ShellPipe> ?? Reason behind this: I'm trying to write a backup script in perl! This script will download a certain file from my web server, to my computer. Now,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boytheo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify matching data in a file and output to original line, in perl

Hi, I haven't done this for awhile, and further, I've never done it in perl so I appreciate any help you can give me. I have a file of lines, each with 5 data points that look like this: AB,N,ALLIANCEBERNSTEIN HLDNG L.P,AB,N ALD,N,ALLIED CAPITAL CORPORATION,ALD,N AFC,N,ALLIED CAPITAL... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pcushing
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script output should be piped to a file

hi i have a script named mount.sh under the location /data/scripts/ in my aix box i want this script this to be run everyday morning at 04:45 AM and the output of the script should be piped to a file how to do this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert shell command into first line of output file

How can I insert the command executed on the shell into the first line of my output file? For example if I execute; zcat *.gz |grep “User5501” > users.out How can I make my users.out look like; zcat *.gz |grep “User5501” > users.out User5501 PA User5501 UA User5501 ZA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the modified timestamp of files from the piped output of du command

Version Info +++++++++++++++ RHEL 5.4 Since ls command lists file sizes in Bytes which can be long I use du command like below. I have run the du command for the below files as shown below. But I want pipe this output to ls command just to see the modified timestamp for these files. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying file from command line using Perl

Hi all, I am having a slight issue updating a file using perl from the command line I need some help with. The item is: DATA_FILE_TYPE=FULL When I run the below command /usr/bin/perl -p -i -e "s/DATA_FILE_TYPE=/DATA_FILE_TYPE=APPEND/g" processfile.cfg It looks to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kstevens67
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print line number from piped output

i need to do something like this: script.sh #!/bin/sh echo "hello" echo "My First name is John" echo "My Last name is Smith" echo "I am here to save you a lot of work" sed -n 4,5p $0 i dont want to run the script. i just want to pull out specific line from it. so the logic here... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use cut output as variable piped awk command

Hi, I would like use the output of my cut command as a variable in my following awk command. Here's what I've written. cut -f1 info.txt | awk -v i=xargs -F'' '{if($6 == $i) print $20}' summary.txt Where obviously the 'xargs' doesn't do what I want. How can I pass my cut result to my awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyooo
3 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)