Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to return a message after command runs? Post 302770164 by newbie2010 on Thursday 14th of February 2013 03:14:51 PM
Old 02-14-2013
The command returns data when there is data. However, when it does not have data, it just prints No. I was trying to run a test to see if I could have the script produce a customer message, like "There is no data, try another date." I am sorry I put echo "yes" in the script, for this is deceiving. I really wanted it to print out a message such as "there is no data." I can't get it to print any customer message at this point, it just prints "No."

---------- Post updated at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:10 PM ----------

I think I have found the problem. Looks like part of the script was truncated when I was testing and I need to add the lines and retest it.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return status of all previous runs

hi, I set the crontab to execute script A every 5 minutes from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm everyday, now at 12:00am I want to run another script if and only if all the previous runs of script A return OK, can anyone tell me how it could be done? thank you very very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return a message when a file is not found

Hi there, I am writing a script to look for tmp log files that have not been access within the last 10 days. I am using the follwing command within the script: find /var/tmp -name *log -atime -9 ¦xargs What I would like to be able to do would be to display a message if there is no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodey
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

command runs, no output

I have a script that searches for specific information from log files. #!/bin/sh sed -n '/*C/,/END/p' /sn/log/OMlog* > crit.out sed -n '/REPT INITIALIZATION/,/err:/p' /sn/log/OMlog* > switchcc.out ./start.awk /sn/log/OMlog* > ARs.out ./end.awk /sn/log/OMlog* > ARe.out cat crit.out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grinds
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return mail message

Hi I would like to know how interpret line by line a return mail message sent by unix mailer-daemon (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alcvrjo
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How would you return how long a script runs for?

When running a ksh script, how would you time how long it took the script ran for? Is there a command that can capture this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep: Return a user message when no hits

I have ASCII files to parse that 48 hours old or more ; I can identify them like so find . -name "FILE*TXT" -mtime +1 -exec ls -ltas '{}' ';' Some files have a list of hardware errors (we test electronic components), some have none. If the file name has no errors, I still want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs but does not execute rm -rf command

Hi! First off I'm no bin/bash script writer! :( I can make heads and tales of it from the php experience I have and that's all. Now I managed to piece this script together to go look at directory and remove files that are +60 days. It's finding the files but its not removing them. I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrBiggz
11 Replies
MIMEDEFANG.PL(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  MIMEDEFANG.PL(8)

NAME
mimedefang.pl - Perl script to scan MIME messages. SYNOPSIS
mimedefang.pl [-f filter] dir DESCRIPTION
mimedefang.pl is a Perl script designed to work with mimedefang(8). It takes a single argument which is a directory which should contain files laid out as described in mimedefang(8). OPTIONS
-f filter Specifies the name of the file containing the filter. If this option is omitted, the default filter /etc/mimedefang-filter is used. OPERATION
mimedefang.pl evaluates the file /etc/mimedefang-filter as a Perl fragment. This file should define the filter procedure. For each part of a MIME message, mimedefang.pl calls filter and disposes of the part as instructed by the filter. The various modes of disposition are described in mimedefang-filter(5). TESTING FILTERS
You are strongly recommended to test your filter before installing it in /etc/mimedefang-filter. To test the filter, save it in a file (e.g. test-filter) and run this command: mimedefang.pl -f test-filter -test This tests the filter for syntactic correctness. If it passes, you can install it as a production filter. (Note that the test tests only for correct Perl syntax; it doesn't make sure your filter does something sensible.) MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONS
There are a few other ways to invoke mimedefang.pl: mimedefang.pl -structure < mime_message parses a message on stdin and prints lots of debugging information. mimedefang.pl -prettyprint < mime_message parses a message on stdin and prints it in a "nice" format (depending on your definition of "nice".) mimedefang.pl -features prints a list of detected optional Perl modules. The output looks something like this: SpamAssassin: yes mimedefang.pl -validate calls the function filter_validate, if it is defined in your filter. filter_validate should return an integer; this becomes the exit code. If filter_validate does not exist, an error message is printed and mimedefang.pl exits with an exit code of 1. AUTHOR
mimedefang.pl was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The mimedefang home page is http://www.mimedefang.org/. SEE ALSO
mimedefang(8), mimedefang-filter(5), mimedefang-protocol(7) 4th Berkeley Distribution 8 February 2005 MIMEDEFANG.PL(8)