Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using egrep to output expressions which are not found Post 302770140 by DGPickett on Thursday 14th of February 2013 02:08:57 PM
Old 02-14-2013
You can use an egrep -v on a pipe to remove lines that match and an egrep to save lines that match.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comma Delimited Output w/ egrep

Hi all, I have an input file that I am pulling out certain phases using the following commands: cat /nodes.txt | egrep -e 'OSVersion|PrimaryNodeName' Currently the output looks like this: OSVersion - 5.0 PrimaryNodeName - serverA OSVersion - 5.0 PrimaryNodeName - serverB OSVersion... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianadoug
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

test egrep not found

Hi, I want to return failure from my script if a string is NOT found in a file, but I can't work out how to negate my "if". At the moment I have : if (egrep -i 'search string' filetosearch); then echo "found" else return 2 fi How can I get rid of the echo bit and just test for "string... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdines
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep/awk/egrep two values for given output?

Dear Friends, I have a command which can result following output. Packet is: /var/adm/yyyy/pkt6043 Intended for network : /vob/repo I would like to retrive pkt6043 and /vob/repo using single command. Blue color test will be always contstant and red color text will be dynamic ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep output each file in new line

I have the following script that searches in several files and shows the search results and the matches filename on the screen. find . -exec egrep -wH "word1|word2" {} \; the output from the search display as: file1 word1 word2 I need to show each file search output result on new... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: konddor
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output section of file between two expressions multiple times

Attached is the exact ouput of a vmware VDR log file I am working with but what I am trying to achieve is as follows: I need to output sections of the file using the string "Normal backup" as the start and "Duration" as the end to seperate files so I can then manipulate them further to create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Regular expressions output is whole line

Hi, I am newbie in shell programming and I need some help. I had some data and I format it in a file like dn: uid=aaaaa, dc=exmple, dc=com cn: bbbb cccc sn: cccc telephoneNumber:+30-6543-123456 I have to extract the information aaaaa , bbbb, cccc and the phone number using awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pro
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: need to have egrep to return a text string if the search pattern has NOT been found

Hello all, after spending hours of searching the web I decided to create an account here. This is my first post and I hope one of the experts can help. I need to resolve a grep / sed / xargs / awk problem. My input file is just like this: ----------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash4ever
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep output order

The order of egrep output seems to be as they occur in the file. How do I get the order as requested? For e.g. file contents: AAA EEE GGG egrep 'GGG|AAA|EEE' file gives AAA EEE GGG instead of GGG AAA EEE (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhavb
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep output

If I have an output from egrep that has two elements on separate lines can I concatenate them? so the egrep for examople might be: egrep "filename|type" And the actual output might be: ./file001.doc Type Text Document How do I get the egrep to remove the line feed so the output is: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuftyDave
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Going mad on an egrep command (Reg Expressions)

Dear community, I am trying for several hours now to create an egrep command to grep the number of lines containing a specific text from a text-file but seem to have an error somewhere. The Textfile contains several thousand lines and has the expression "Lastname" in several lines.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donzo
3 Replies
XZGREP(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZGREP(1)

NAME
xzgrep - search compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
xzgrep [grep_options] [-e] pattern file... xzegrep ... xzfgrep ... lzgrep ... lzegrep ... lzfgrep ... DESCRIPTION
xzgrep invokes grep(1) on files which may be either uncompressed or compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to grep(1). If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep(1). When reading from standard input, gzip(1) and bzip2(1) compressed files are not supported. If xzgrep is invoked as xzegrep or xzfgrep then egrep(1) or fgrep(1) is used instead of grep(1). The same applies to names lzgrep, lze- grep, and lzfgrep, which are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. ENVIRONMENT
GREP If the GREP environment variable is set, xzgrep uses it instead of grep(1), egrep(1), or fgrep(1). SEE ALSO
grep(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zgrep(1) Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZGREP(1)