Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create multiline csv cell through shell script? Post 302769857 by prasperl on Wednesday 13th of February 2013 04:59:14 PM
Old 02-13-2013
How to create multiline csv cell through shell script?

Hi,

I have a text like the one given below

Code:
status="Observation 1"
read1="Source rows not load"
read2="Score drop"

I want to create a csv and mail it out in such a way that all three lines will be in a single cell but as three lines.

For ex

Code:
                    Col C1

Observation 1
Row R1       Source Rows not load
                 Score drop

I tried multiple ways But I always end up in getting all three messages in a single line or three different rows.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-13-2013 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit particular cell of csv file using shell script

I have one csv file and in that I want update particular cell. I know the row and coloumn number for that respective. Please help me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepak_p86
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get output in each cell from shell script

Hi, I have a code which gives me different values all in a same line. what do i change to make the output have each value in each cell. code: echo $user $firstname $lastname $address done | tee userinfo.xls i want the $user value to be in first cell of excel, $firstname in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sophos
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to add two values in the same cell of CSV file

I need help to create a csv file with Unix command. In csv file, i need to put two values in the same cell. Rite now, whts happening is, if i put 2 values in the same cell, its comming as " asd, zxc" but i want it in different line but in same cell. asd zxc Please reply me ASAP. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prashant Jain
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create csv file using shell script

I have a file in multiple directory which has some records in the following format File: a/latest.txt , b/latest.txt, c/latest.txt -> Name=Jhon Age=27 Gender=M Street=LA Road Occupation=Service I want to generate a csv file from the above file as follows File: output.csv -> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjk2504
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract last cell of csv file

How do I extract the last cell in a column of a csv file using linux shell scripting? Or alternatively, how do I get the number of cells of a csv file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiline comment in shell script

Is thery any way to give comment to multiple line without explicitly specifying # at the begining of each line ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Create excel file(.csv) using shell script?

Hi, i have shell script which compiles n number of test cases and execute them one by one. i want to create report in excel through script in which two columns namely "test id" and "release".second column have two subcolumns namely compiles and excutes. so i want first column should display test... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: RamMore123
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying To Write File Contents To Specfic .csv Cell

Hi, I'm attempting to write the entire contents of a file to a specific .csv cell. So far have only a nawk one liner that will write a value into a specific .csv cell. Trying to use man page but can't seem to get any farther. Any help would be appreciated. nawk -v r=2 -v c=3 -v val=5 -F,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create or convert to pdf files from csv files using shell script?

Hi, Can anyone help me how to convert a .csv file to a .pdf file using shell script Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiline html tag parse shell script

Hello, I want to parse the contents of a multiline html tag ex: <html> <body> <p>some other text</p> <div> <p class="margin-bottom-0"> text1 <br> text2 <br> <br> text3 </p> </div> </body> (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: SorcRR
15 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)