Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and replace from file in awk using a 16 bit text file Post 302769728 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 13th of February 2013 08:02:55 AM
Old 02-13-2013
These input files do not appear to be in UTF-8 format. Convert them to UTF-8 first.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating file search and replace text

Hi, I am trying something like this: Let's say I have a file called File1 with contents: x=-0.3 y=2.1 z=9.0 I have another file, File2, with contents: xx= yy= zz= (nothing after "="). What I want to do is get the value of x in File1 and set it to xx in File2, i.e., xx=-0.3. And the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ommatidia
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and replace text in same file

script is as below v_process_run=5 typeset -i p_cnt=0 pdata=/home/proc_data.log while do # execute script in background dummy_test.sh "a1" "a2" & p_cnt=$p_cnt+1 echo "data : $p_cnt : Y" >> $pdata done file created with following data in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vrgurav
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace a specific text in text file?

I have a text file with following content (3 lines) filename : output.txt first line:12/12/2008 second line:12/12/2008 third line:Y I would like to know how we can replace 'Y' with 'N' in the 3rd line keeping 1st and 2nd lines same as what it was before. I tried using cat output.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosham
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can search a String in one text file and replace the whole line in another file

i am very new to UNIX plz help me in this scenario i have two text files as below file1.txt name=Rajakumar. Discipline=Electronics and communication. Designation=software Engineer. file2.txt name=Kannan. Discipline=Mechanical. Designation=CADD Design Engineer. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace a text in a file

Hi all, I have a requirement where i have to search data between strings 'SELECT' and ';' and replace this text as "SELECT.....;" so that i can export this extracted string into a excel cell. Please suggest on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

text file search and replace with awk

hello all greeting for the day i have a text file as the following text.xml abcd<FIELD>123.456</FIELD>efgh i need to replace the value between <FIELD> and </FIELD> by using awk command. please throw some light on this. thank you very very much Erik (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: erikshek
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search text file in file if this file contains necessary text (awk,grep)

Hello friends! Help me pls to write correct awk and grep statements for my task: I have got files with name filename.txt It has such structure: Start of file FROM: address@domen.com (12...890) abc DATE: 11/23/2009 on Std SUBJECT: any subject End of file So, I must check, if this file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: candyme
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search replace strings between single quotes in a text file

Hi There... I need to serach and replace a strings in a text file. My file has; books.amazon='Let me read' and the output needed is books.amazon=NONFOUND pls if anybody know this can be done in script sed or awk.. i have a list of different strings to be repced by NONFOUND.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiano
7 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Search and replace in text file

Hi, I have gigabytes of text files that I need to search for "&" and replace with "&amp". Is there a way to do this efficiently (like sed command)? Hope you could help. Thanks. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: daytripper1021
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search field in text file and replace value

Hi there, First of all this is my first post here. Thank you in advance for your help. What I am trying to do is the following. I have a text file where each field of each row is separated by a tabulator. Looks like this: ATOM 1 N HSE A 26 3.033 -10.429 -2.262 1.00 17.07 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: doom4
8 Replies
TCS(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TCS(1)

NAME
tcs - translate character sets SYNOPSIS
tcs [ -slcv ] [ -f ics ] [ -t ocs ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tcs interprets the named file(s) (standard input default) as a stream of characters from the ics character set or format, converts them to runes, and then converts them into a stream of characters from the ocs character set or format on the standard output. The default value for ics and ocs is utf, the UTF encoding described in utf(6). The -l option lists the character sets known to tcs. Processing continues in the face of conversion errors (the -s option prevents reporting of these errors). The -c option forces the output to contain only cor- rectly converted characters; otherwise, 0x80 characters will be substituted for UTF encoding errors and 0xFFFD characters will substituted for unknown characters. The -v option generates various diagnostic and summary information on standard error, or makes the -l output more verbose. Tcs recognizes an ever changing list of character sets. In particular, it supports a variety of Russian and Japanese encodings. Some of the supported encodings are utf The Plan 9 UTF encoding, known by ISO as UTF-8 utf1 The deprecated original UTF encoding from ISO 10646 ascii 7-bit ASCII 8859-1 Latin-1 (Central European) 8859-2 Latin-2 (Czech .. Slovak) 8859-3 Latin-3 (Dutch .. Turkish) 8859-4 Latin-4 (Scandinavian) 8859-5 Part 5 (Cyrillic) 8859-6 Part 6 (Arabic) 8859-7 Part 7 (Greek) 8859-8 Part 8 (Hebrew) 8859-9 Latin-5 (Finnish .. Portuguese) koi8 KOI-8 (GOST 19769-74) jis-kanji ISO 2022-JP ujis EUC-JX: JIS 0208 ms-kanji Microsoft, or Shift-JIS jis (from only) guesses between ISO 2022-JP, EUC or Shift-Jis gb Chinese national standard (GB2312-80) big5 Big 5 (HKU version) unicode Unicode Standard 1.0 tis Thai character set plus ASCII (TIS 620-1986) msdos IBM PC: CP 437 atari Atari-ST character set EXAMPLES
tcs -f 8859-1 Convert 8859-1 (Latin-1) characters into UTF format. tcs -s -f jis Convert characters encoded in one of several shift JIS encodings into UTF format. Unknown Kanji will be converted into 0xFFFD char- acters. tcs -lv Print an up to date list of the supported character sets. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tcs SEE ALSO
ascii(1), rune(2), utf(6). TCS(1)