Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to append a string by comparing another string? Post 302769692 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 13th of February 2013 04:38:19 AM
Old 02-13-2013
Like so?
Code:
awk 'p!=$1{if(p)print s; s=$1 "|" $2; p=$1; next}{s=s "," $2} END{print s}' infile

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string and append text after the string

Hi, I have a file like this... <o t="Batch" id="8410" p="/" g="32"> <a n="name"> <v s="DBBA1MM"/> </a> <a n="owner"> <v r="/Administrator"/> </a> <a n="rights"> <v s="95"/> </a> <a n="debugLevel"> <v s="3"/> </a> <a n="avsStoreLoc"> <v... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kesu2k
8 Replies

2. Programming

string comparing in C

Hello, I need help with a program I'm trying to write for my moms science class, what it has to do is accept a user inputed string and search for it in a text file (file contains all the elements) The file looks like: H Hydrogen 1 He Helium 2 Li Lithium 3 Be Beryllium 4 ... If the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duvalC
1 Replies

3. Programming

string comparing in C

Hello, I need help with a program I'm trying to write for my moms science class, what it has to do is accept a user inputed string and search for it in a text file (file contains all the elements) The file looks like: H Hydrogen 1 He Helium 2 Li Lithium 3 Be Beryllium 4 ... If the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: duvalC
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in comparing 2 files string by string

Hi Champs, I am a newbie to unix world, and I am trying to built a script which seems to be far tough to be done alone by me..... " I am having a raw csv file which contains around 50 fields..." From that file I have to grep 2 fields "A" and "B"....field "A" is to be aligned vertically... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendra.pat04
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All, I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the ./testifstructure.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2" for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST} do if then echo '1' else echo '2' fi done Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveu7
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a searched string with another string using sed

Hi, I need to replace and append a string in a text if grep is true. For eg: grep ABC test.txt | grep -v '\.$' | awk {'print $4'} | sed "s/ ? How do I replace all instances of "print $4" using sed with another sring? Eg of the string returned will be, lx123 web222 xyz Want to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vchee
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append string checking other same string?

Hi , I have a file likeA-0044150|ABC/Frito/ A-0044150|GFHU A-0150075|Bud Racing A-0187811|Bud Light A-0187811|RW&B signmaking I Want the o/p likeA-0044150|ABC/Frito/,GFHU A-0150075|Bud Racing A-0187811|Bud Light,RW&B signmaking (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in file and append new string after

Hi All, I'm trying to insert a string into a file at a specific location. I'd like to add a string after the parent::__construct(); in my file. <?php if (! defined('BASEPATH')) exit('No direct script access allowed'); class MY_Controller extends CI_Controller { function... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjkilpatrick
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Append a particular string after occurrence of particular string.

Hi Friends, Good morning. Appended a particular string after occurrence of particular string in a file. my file abc.sql as below create or replace function f1(p_cust_no IN VARCHAR) RETURN number IS DECLARE v_country country.customer_tbl%TYPE; begin begin select... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram0106
4 Replies
RAKE(1) 						 Ruby Programmers Reference Guide						   RAKE(1)

NAME
rake -- Ruby Make SYNOPSIS
rake [--f Rakefile] [--version] [-CGNPgnqstv] [-D [PATTERN]] [-E CODE] [-I LIBDIR] [-R RAKELIBDIR] [-T [PATTERN]] [-e CODE] [-p CODE] [-r MODULE] [--rules] [variable=value] target ... DESCRIPTION
Rake is a simple ruby(1) build program with capabilities similar to the regular make(1) command. Rake has the following features: o Rakefiles (Rake's version of Makefiles) are completely defined in standard Ruby syntax. No XML files to edit. No quirky Makefile syntax to worry about (is that a tab or a space?). o Users can specify tasks with prerequisites. o Rake supports rule patterns to synthesize implicit tasks. o Flexible FileLists that act like arrays but know about manipulating file names and paths. o A library of prepackaged tasks to make building rakefiles easier. OPTIONS
--version Display the program version. -C --classic-namespace Put Task and FileTask in the top level namespace -D [PATTERN] --describe [PATTERN] Describe the tasks (matching optional PATTERN), then exit. -E CODE --execute-continue CODE Execute some Ruby code, then continue with normal task processing. -G --no-system --nosystem Use standard project Rakefile search paths, ignore system wide rakefiles. -I LIBDIR --libdir LIBDIR Include LIBDIR in the search path for required modules. -N --no-search --nosearch Do not search parent directories for the Rakefile. -P --prereqs Display the tasks and dependencies, then exit. -R RAKELIBDIR --rakelib RAKELIBDIR --rakelibdir RAKELIBDIR Auto-import any .rake files in RAKELIBDIR. (default is rakelib ) -T [PATTERN] --tasks [PATTERN] Display the tasks (matching optional PATTERN) with descriptions, then exit. -e CODE --execute CODE Execute some Ruby code and exit. -f FILE --rakefile FILE Use FILE as the rakefile. -h --help Prints a summary of options. -g --system Using system wide (global) rakefiles (usually ~/.rake/*.rake ). -n --dry-run Do a dry run without executing actions. -p CODE --execute-print CODE Execute some Ruby code, print the result, then exit. -q --quiet Do not log messages to standard output. -r MODULE --require MODULE Require MODULE before executing rakefile. -s --silent Like --quiet, but also suppresses the 'in directory' announcement. -t --trace Turn on invoke/execute tracing, enable full backtrace. -v --verbose Log message to standard output (default). --rules Trace the rules resolution. SEE ALSO
ruby(1) make(1) http://rake.rubyforge.org/ REPORTING BUGS
Bugs, features requests and other issues can be logged at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/projects/show/rake>. You will need an account to before you can post issues. Register at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/account/register>. Or you can send an email to the author. AUTHOR
Rake is written by Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> UNIX
November 7, 2012 UNIX