Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sftp commands not working in shell script Post 302769518 by linuxlearn2013 on Tuesday 12th of February 2013 02:00:53 PM
Old 02-12-2013
Linux Sftp commands not working in shell script

hi,

i am having 2 linux boxes as source and 1 linux box as destination.i want to create a shell script containing code to transfer a csv file from either of the 2 linux boxes (file will be present in just one box, i need to check both the boxes to see which box has the csv file) to 3rd linux box using sftp. suppose i am running this script from 3rd linux box, based on searches i have written the following script.
Code:
#/bin/sh
sftp username@host1ip
cd remote_host_file_path
mget filename
rm filename
quit
cd home_path
mv filename path_where_file_needs_to_be_copied

sftp username@host2ip
cd remote_host_file_path
mget filename
rm filename
quit
cd home_path
mv filename path_where_file_needs_to_be_copied

when i run this script through command prompt i get an error like this:
Code:
cannot find mget or mget not a command
cd not a command
rm not a command

if i give any echo command in this it is printing the echo value.can someone please help me out with this script. i have verified the keys..so it doesnt ask me to enter the password for connecting to remote host. also when i am running all the commands one by one from command prompt the script is working absolutely fine.

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-13-2013 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pwd & cd commands not working in shell script

Here is my script #!/bin/bash pwd cd /var/lib/pgsql Both "pwd" and "cd" are not executed is there any other way i can change the current working directory to /var/lib/pgsql pls help! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: perk_bud
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get shell commands working through ruby?

Hi all, I am a newbie currently trying to execute shell commands from ruby instead of a shell script.(This method is conceived only for solaris so no issues with porting to other OS and all) Eg: Consider the command 'ls" with a shell script ,I would use it like this bash# ls <all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

execute shell commands with in sftp

Hi All, Please let me know how do I execute some of the shell commands like cat, find ,grep within sftp. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tommy1
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameters passed to commands but not working in Bash shell

Hi, I am trying to do this thing useing my shell bash ( sorry for my english ) I have in a file 63 hostnames, i wanna ask to the DHCP admin, to reserv that reserves 63 IP addresses of this hosts, using their mac address. I have thinked this script: for ((i=1;i<63;i++)); do arp $(head... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cypress
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands not working in script file

Hi All, I have created a shell script having some general copying and moving commands. Commands are working fine in Shell but while executing the shell script it is showing an error mv: cannot stat `/apps/orarpt/in/*': No such file or directory command is mv $IN_DIR* $ARCHIVE_DIR where... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maindola.amit
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP-how to log individual sftp command error while executing shell script

Hi, I have situation where i need to automate transferring 10000+ files using sftp. while read line do if ; then echo "-mput /home/student/Desktop/folder/$line/* /cygdrive/e/folder/$line/">>sftpCommand.txt fi done< files.txt sftp -b sftpCommand.txt stu@192.168.2.1 The above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobrobot
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp automation script not working

Hi all , can any one tell me how to code SFTP automation script ? I searched lots of forums but i didn't get any useful information:( I don't want auto Login script > like if u run the script it should automatically login into specific account and etc.. Just i want the following things... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan008
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell : sftp autologin not working ...

Hi folks, for sftp autologin, while browing in unix.com forums.. I got the below code. I tried to execute that code but no luck. #!/bin/sh HOST=yourservername USER=yourusername PASS=yourpassword echo "sftping file ..." lftp -u ${USER},${PASS} sftp://${HOST} <<EOF cd /tmp get tmpfile... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawn sftp and Shell commands

Hi everyone, I'm no killer in shell scripting, that is why I've searched and found a little script that explained how to do what I wanted to do : a FTP transfer from distant servers. I adapted it cause as such, it didn't work. As I needed to do some very simple shell commands (erase and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mederik
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple sftp script not working - Please help

I have the below sftp script to transfer a file from a linux host(source) to another linux host(target). Public key is already set up in target host and I am able to transfer file using sftp from source to target. But not sure why the below script(ftp_script) is not working. Any help in this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Armaan
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)