Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Postgresql Database Corrupt
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Postgresql Database Corrupt Post 302769379 by ahsanpmd on Tuesday 12th of February 2013 04:58:52 AM
Old 02-12-2013
Postgresql Database Corrupt

I am managing a linux cluster which has been build on Platform Cluster Manager PCM 1.2.1) from IBM Platform Computing. Unfortunately somebody deteled data files of postgresql from /var/lib directory. I somehow managed to start the postmaster service again, but all the administrative commands of cluster are not not working. like addhost

Code:
[root@pmd ~]# addhost
KusuDB: Operational Error occurred when connecting to the DB
       Most likely cause: insufficient permissions for user=nobody
FATAL:  database "kusudb" does not exist

ERROR:  Database query failed!  Make sure the database is available

[root@pmd ~]#

I dont want to rebuild cluster as it will lead to the loss of much effort which I did on installing certain applications and running them on the cluster.
Please help me !

Last edited by Scott; 02-12-2013 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: Code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Security Databases are corrupt. HELP!!

Help! SCO Unix 5.05. A relatievely new system went down on me today. I got the dreaded error: Out of Space on Device (1/42). I was able to clear up some space in the /tmp directory, however, when I try to boot, the system prompts me to go into single user mode and I get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I got a corrupt /etc/inittab file....what next?

Hi guys, For some reason a client has given us a Sun Netra T1 with Solaris 8 to administer for them. That's always good business. However, the other day we rebooted the machine and to our amazement, after doing the preliminary hardware tests, we got an error messgae saying that /etc/inittab was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivo
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Causing a disk to be corrupt

Hmm, how to ask this without sounding too malicious... How might one go about causing a disk corruption in OS X specifically or via the command line in UNIX in general? Doesnt matter the severity of the problem, I just want to scare the person a little, then fix the problem for them. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yummator
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Corrupt Member File

I have been fine adding/removing printers up until this week. Now when I go to add a new remote printer I get "corrupted member file". I go to /etc/lp/member and the byte count on the new printer name is 0. I VI the file and put /dev/null in to make it the correct size and it all looks fine and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astout
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to connect to PostgreSQL database

Hi All, Has anyone of you connected to a remote PostgreSQL database through a shell/perl script. Can you please let me know the steps involed? Thanks. Rahul. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
0 Replies

6. Solaris

How to corrupt a superblock?

I need to corrupt a superblock of a mounted device in a soalris m/c and check recovery from an alternate superblock. How can this be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujathan
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

corrupt disk

Hallo Friends, I have application X running on hpux 11.11 and oracle 9i release 2. I recently had a hardware failure on disk /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 Below is the systemlog file : root@a7dmc:/var/adm/syslog > /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 155713541 -r /storage/events/enclosures/gazemon/0_1_1_0.0.0... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script causing database corrupt

Hi, Closing the thread (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up postgreSql database

Hi I have a small bash script which I want to run on an Amazon EC2 Ubuntu instance for setting up a postgreSQL database: #!/bin/bash USERNAME='postgres' start=$SECONDS TMP_DIR=/local/test/4g4d PORT=23456 rm -rf $TMP_DIR/db mkdir -p $TMP_DIR/ echo "creating database..."... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Helveticus
3 Replies
PG_CREATECLUSTER(8)					 Debian PostgreSQL infrastructure				       PG_CREATECLUSTER(8)

NAME
pg_createcluster - create a new PostgreSQL cluster SYNOPSIS
pg_createcluster [options] version name DESCRIPTION
pg_createcluster creates a new PostgreSQL server cluster (i. e. a collection of databases served by a postmaster(1) instance) and integrates it into the multi-version/multi-cluster architecture of the postgresql-common package. Every cluster is uniquely identified by its version and name. The name can be arbitrary. The default cluster that is created on installation of a server package is main. However, you might wish to create other clusters for testing, with other superusers, a cluster for each user on a shared server, etc. pg_createcluster will abort with an error if you try to create a cluster with a name that already exists for that version. Given a major PostgreSQL version (like "8.2" or "8.3") and a cluster name, it creates the necessary configuration files in /etc/postgresql/version/name/; in particular these are postgresql.conf, pg_ident.conf, pg_hba.conf, a postgresql-common specific configuration file start.conf (see STARTUP CONTROL below), pg_ctl.conf, and a symbolic link log which points to the log file (by default, /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-version-name.log). postgresql.conf is automatically adapted to use the next available port, i. e. the first port (starting from 5432) which is not yet used by an already existing cluster. If the data directory does not yet exist, PostgreSQL's initdb(1) command is used to generate a new cluster structure. If the data directory already exists, it is integrated into the postgresql-common structure by moving the configuration file and setting the data_directory option. Please note that this only works for data directories which were created directly with initdb, i. e. all the configuration files (postgresql.conf etc.) must be present in the data directory. If a custom socket directory is given and it does not exist, it is created. If the log file does not exist, it is created. In any case the permissions are adjusted to allow write access to the cluster owner. Please note that postgresql.conf can be customized to specify log_directory and/or log_filename; if at least one of these options is present, then the symbolic link log in the cluster configuration directory is ignored. If the default snakeoil SSL certificate exists (/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem and /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key), this program creates symlinks to these files in the data directory (server.crt and server.key) and enables SSL for that cluster (option ssl in postgresql.conf). Therefore all clusters will use the same SSL certificate by default. Of course you can replace these symlinks with a cluster specific certificate. OPTIONS
-u user, --user=user Set the user who owns the cluster and becomes the database superuser to the given name or uid. By default, this is the user postgres. A cluster must not be owned by root. -g group, --group=group Change the group of the cluster related data files. By default this will be the primary group of the database owner. -d dir, --datadir=dir Explicitly set the data directory path, which is used to store all the actual databases and tables. This will become quite big (easily in the order of five times the amount of actual data stored in the cluster). Defaults to /var/lib/postgresql/version/cluster. -s dir, --socketdir=dir Explicitly set the directory where the postmaster(1) server stores the Unix socket for local connections. Defaults to /var/run/postgresql/ for clusters owned by the user postgres, and /tmp for clusters owned by other users. Please be aware that /tmp is an unsafe directory since everybody can create a socket there and impersonate the database server. If the given directory does not exist, it is created with appropriate permissions. -l path, --logfile=path Explicitly set the path for the postmaster(1) server log file. Defaults to /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-version-cluster.log. --locale=locale Set the default locale for the database cluster. If this option is not specified, the locale is inherited from the environment that pg_createcluster runs in. --lc-collate=locale --lc-ctype=locale --lc-messages=locale --lc-monetary=locale --lc-numeric=locale --lc-time=locale Like --locale, but only sets the locale in the specified category. -e encoding, --encoding=encoding Select the encoding of the template database. This will also be the default encoding of any database you create later, unless you override it there. The default is derived from the locale, or SQL_ASCII if that does not work. The character sets supported by the PostgreSQL server are described in the documentation. Note: It is not recommended to set this option directly! Set the locale instead. -p port, --port=port Select the port the new cluster listens on (for the Unix socket and the TCP port); this must be a number between 1024 and 65535, since PostgreSQL does not run as root and thus needs an unprivileged port number. By default the next free port starting from 5432 is assigned. --start Immediately start a server for the cluster after creating it (i. e. call pg_ctlcluster version cluster start on it). By default, the cluster is not started. --start-conf=auto|manual|disabled Set the initial value in the start.conf configuration file. See STARTUP CONTROL below. By default, auto is used, which means that the cluster is handled by /etc/init.d/postgresql, i. e. starts and stops automatically on system boot. STARTUP CONTROL
The start.conf file in the cluster configuration directory controls the start/stop behavior of that cluster's postmaster process. The file can contain comment lines (started with '#'), empty lines, and must have exactly one line with one of the following keywords: auto The postmaster process is started/stopped automatically in the init script. This is also the default if the file is missing. manual The postmaster process is not handled by the init script, but manually controlling the cluster with pg_ctlcluster(1) is permitted. disabled Neither the init script nor pg_ctlcluster(1) are permitted to start/stop the cluster. Please be aware that this will not stop the cluster owner from calling lower level tools to control the postmaster process; this option is only meant to prevent accidents during maintenance, not more. The pg_ctl.conf file in the cluster configuration directory can contain additional options passed to pg_ctl of that cluster. SEE ALSO
pg_ctlcluster(8), pg_lsclusters(1), pg_wrapper(1) AUTHOR
Martin Pitt <mpitt@debian.org> Debian 2012-10-08 PG_CREATECLUSTER(8)