Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sorting and wc -l w.r.t seconds Post 302769309 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 12th of February 2013 12:49:47 AM
Old 02-12-2013
Since the title of this thread includes "sorting", I assume that your real input is not already sorted by time like you sample input file. The following should do what you want:
Code:
awk '{  c[$1]++}
{printf("c[%s]=%d\n", $1, c[$1])}
END {   for(h = 0; h <= 23; h++)
                for(m = 0; m <= 59; m++)
                        for(s = 0; s <= 59; s++) 
                                if((k = sprintf("%02d:%02d:%02d",h,m,s)) in c)
                                        printf("%s %4d\n", k, c[k])
}' file

As always, if you are using a Solaris/SunOS system, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk instead of awk. This script could be made considerably more efficient if your input is sorted by time.

For the given sample input, the output produced is:
Code:
00:00:00    3
00:00:01    5
00:02:01    3
23:59:59    1

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to get number of seconds

How do I get the number of seconds since 1970, within a script, for the previous day at 23:59? I need this value to pass into a sql statement to cleanup records older than the previous day at midnight. It will be automated via cron so no hard coding allowed. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: captainzeb
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get lines in 5 seconds

Hello everybody, how i can get how many lines are writed in a file in the last 5 seconds? For ezample i have 'file1' that is filled by a process automatically and i neet to know how many lines with the word 'EXACTO' were filled the last 5 seconds, can somebody help me? I try with: tail -f... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check the file every 15 seconds

Hi All, I need a script which does, script check a file every 15 second, if file not exist, it will create a log file. how can I do it ? thanks Alice (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

seconds to hh:mm:ss

Any sleek way to convert seconds to hh:mm:ss format . I know it can be done by mod and divide . Looking for a one liner if possible . Example 3600 seconds = 01:00:00 3601 seconds = 01:00:01 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akrathi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting time in mili seconds

hi all UNIX Gurus, this is my first post...so i posting this with great expectations:o...hoping to get the similar replies... my question is.... need to get timestamp with millisecond in UNIX. Date command gives Year,month day, hour,minute and second but it does not give millisecond. Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhups
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Ticks in seconds.

Hello all, Is there any thumb rule or aproximation of the equivalence in second of one tick? Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mig28mx
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Seconds to hh:mm:ss

Hi All I need to convert a number of fields in a record from seconds to hh:mm:ss ( or possibly hhh:mm:ss ). I'm guessing awk is the way to go . File has multiple records and each record contains 101 fields - can awk handle that ? The seconds values will be in fields 3 - 101 and could be 0. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delay the process for few seconds

Hi, In my shell script, (as per the requirement), I am creating few files, and the processes are launched parallelly . (by using "&" at the end of the command line). As per the logic, I need to remove these files as well, after creating. But, the problem is, due to parallel processing,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of leap seconds

Is there a function call in std library or unit command that returns the number of current leap seconds? GG (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NAVTime
4 Replies
sortbib(1)							   User Commands							sortbib(1)

NAME
sortbib - sort a bibliographic database SYNOPSIS
sortbib [-s KEYS] database... DESCRIPTION
sortbib sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys. Records may be separated by blank lines, or by `.[' and `.]' delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together. This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields, which are sorted separately. The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records. These records are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so sortbib may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input. The most common key-letters and their meanings are given below. %A Author's name %B Book containing article referenced %C City (place of publication) %D Date of publication %E Editor of book containing article referenced %F Footnote number or label (supplied by refer) %G Government order number %H Header commentary, printed before reference %I Issuer (publisher) %J Journal containing article %K Keywords to use in locating reference %L Label field used by -k option of refer %M Bell Labs Memorandum (undefined) %N Number within volume %O Other commentary, printed at end of reference %P Page number(s) %Q Corporate or Foreign Author (unreversed) %R Report, paper, or thesis (unpublished) %S Series title %T Title of article or book %V Volume number %X Abstract -- used by roffbib, not by refer %Y,Z Ignored by refer By default, sortbib alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date. sortbib sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name. A word in the final position, such as `jr.' or `ed.', will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma. Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions can be sorted correctly by using the nroff convention `' in place of a blank. A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except sorting begins with the first, not the last, word. sortbib sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year. It also ignores leading articles (like `A' or `The') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any modern European language. If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, sortbib places that record before other records containing that field. No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time. Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated. OPTIONS
-sKEYS Specify new KEYS. For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date. Sort keys past the fourth are not meaningful. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), attributes(5) BUGS
Records with missing author fields should probably be sorted by title. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 sortbib(1)