Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running processes
Operating Systems Linux Running processes Post 302769145 by batas on Monday 11th of February 2013 10:14:29 AM
Old 02-11-2013
Running processes

Hi guys is it normal to have 5-10 cron/syslog processes running... in my case i got 10 cron process running.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running two processes in background

hi there, here's what i need in my korn-shell: ... begin korn-shell script ... nohup process_A.ksh ; nohup process_B.ksh & ... "other stuff" ... end lorn-shell script in plain english i want process A and process B to run in the background so that the script can continue doing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob_gs
6 Replies

2. Programming

getting certain info for all processes currently running

i am writing a utility that displays information about all the running processes in the /proc directory. I do not know how to get the following information for each of the processes in the /proc directory: -effective user id -effective user name -effective group id -effective group name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find all processes that are running

Hi i've been googling a lot but can't find an answer. All I would like to know is how to find out all processes that are running on a machine. I know ps gives all YOUR processes. thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: speedieB
9 Replies

4. Programming

parsing currently running processes

Hey guys, I'm writing a monitoring program that reads the pattern and the max and min number of instances of a process and then proceeds to parse the currently running processes for the pattern. I just want to know how I should go about this. I'll give you an idea of the flow of the program:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

running processes with no hang up

Can we run a script in nohup which calls another script in nohup. eg Script1.sh #Script1 start nohup script2.sh . . . #end script1.sh Now can I do this nohup script1.sh Also is all scheduled processes (crontab entries) will run as nohup? Would appreciate if any one can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakyaj
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

monitoring running processes

I have a script that runs continuously and will deliver a file to multiple servers via scp. On occasions one of the scp's will hang and as a result not complete in sending the remaining files and not loop around again. If I run the scp commands with a & they'll complete, but I want to make sure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with running processes script

I'm doing a script with the Shell. I need that it only show the number of running processes. Ex: echo "There are `command` running processes" Thnx! Pd: Sorry the idiom. I'm spanish. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikebana
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know the running processes.

Hi can anybody help me regarding this.. i want know the output of ps -ef with explanation. how can we know the running processess. this is the output of ps -elf F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 19 T root 0 0 0 0 SY ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh_pola
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Running processes on GZ/LZ

Hi guys just a question is it normal to see running process on a non-global zone in the global zone... processes such as cron. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Running Processes

I want to check how many processes are running with same names and get their respective counts. ps -ef|grep -Eo 'process1|process2|process3| '|sort -u | awk '{print $2": "$1}' Output would look like : $ ps -ef|grep -Eo 'process1|process2|process3| '|sort | uniq -c | awk '{print $2":... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
8 Replies
epylog(8)							Applications/System							 epylog(8)

NAME
epylog - Syslog new log notifier and parser. SYNOPSIS
epylog [-c epylog.conf] [-d LOGLEVEL] [--last PERIOD] [--store-offsets] [--quiet] [--cron] DESCRIPTION
Epylog is a new log notifier and parser which runs periodically out of cron, looks at your logs, processes the entries in order to present them in a more comprehensive format, and then provides you with the output. It is written specifically with large network clusters in mind where a lot of machines (around 50 and upwards) log to the same loghost using syslog or syslog-ng. Alternatively, Epylog can be invoked from the command line and provide a log report based on a certain provided time period. In this case it relies on syslog timestamps to find the offsets, as opposed to the end-of-log offsets stored during the last run, though this behavior is not as reliable and is easily thwarted by skewed clocks. OPTIONS
-c config.file Provide an alternative config file to Epylog. By default, it will look in /etc/epylog/epylog.conf. -d LOGLEVEL Logging level. The default is 1. 0 will produce no output except for critical errors (useful for cron runs). 2 and above are debug- ging levels. 5 is the most verbose. --last PERIOD Will make a report on events that occurred in the last PERIOD. PERIOD can be either "hour", "day", "week", "month", or more granu- lar: "1h", "2h", "3d", "2w", etc. When --last is specified, epylog will ignore the saved offsets and locate the entries by time- stamps. CAUTION: this process is not to be trusted, since the timestamps are not checked for any validity when arriving to the loghost. One reporting machine with a skewed clock may confuse Epylog enough to miss a lot of valid entries. --store-offsets When specified, will store the offset of the last log entry processed in offsets.xml. During the cron runs epylog relies on the off- set information to find out what new entries to process. This is more trustworthy than relying on timestamps. The default behavior is not to store the offsets, as this allows to run epylog both from cron and manually without the two interfering with each-other. The location of offset.xml is specified in epylog.conf. See epylog.conf(5) for more details. --quiet In every way identical to -d 0. --cron This is essentially --quiet --store-offsets, plus a lockfile will be created and consulted, preventing more than one instance of epylog from running. You can still run epylog manually -- the lockfile is only checked when running in --cron mode. FEATURES
The core of epylog is written in python. It handles things like timestamp lookups, unwrapping of "last message repeated" lines, han- dling of rotated files, preparing and publishing the reports, etc. The modules are pluggable and can be either "internal", written in python, or external. External modules can be written in any lan- guage, but at a price of some convenience. For more info see epylog-modules(5). INITIAL RUN
Depending on the size of your logs, you might want to initialize your offsets before letting epylog run from cron. When the off- sets.xml file is missing, epylog will by default process the entire log, and depending on your configuration, that can be a lot of entries. A good way to init epylog is to run: epylog --last day --store-offsets FILES
/etc/epylog/epylog.conf /usr/sbin/epylog /etc/cron.daily/epylog.cron /etc/epylog/* /var/lib/epylog/* /usr/share/epylog/modules/* EXAMPLES
The useful way to run from a command line is with --last. E.g.: epylog --last day epylog --last 2w When running from cron, you want to store the offsets and not rely on timestamps. There is a mode that allows you to do this: epylog --cron AUTHORS
Konstantin Ryabitsev <icon@linux.duke.edu> SEE ALSO
epylog.conf(5) epylog-modules(5) Konstantin Ryabitsev 1.0 epylog(8)