Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Ruby: "Can't convert nil into String" error Post 302767857 by Elvirnith on Thursday 7th of February 2013 03:20:10 PM
Old 02-07-2013
Ruby: "Can't convert nil into String" error

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to ruby and I'm trying to put together this script to process cron jobs on a server. It's almost working, except I can't figure out what exactly is wrong and how to fix it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Here's what I have so far:

Code:
require 'rubygems'
require 'crontab-parser'

start_time = Time.parse(ARGV[0])
end_time = Time.parse(ARGV[1])

File.open('/root/flagged_cron_jobs.log', 'w+') do |f2|

crontab_data = File.readlines(ARGV[2]).select {|line| line =~ /^[0-9*]/}
cron  = CrontabParser.new(crontab_data.join("\n"))
(start_time..end_time).each do |timestamp|
  next unless timestamp.sec.to_i == 0
  cron.each do |cron_entry|
Dir["/var/spool/cron/*"].each do |file|
  username = file.split("/").last
  crontab = CrontabParser.new(File.read(file))
  puts "User: #{username}"
    if cron_entry.should_run?(timestamp)
      f2.puts "#{timestamp}\t#{cron_entry.cmd}"

end
      end
    end
  end
end

Here's the error:

Code:
cron_parse.rb:9:in `readlines': can't convert nil into String (TypeError)
	from cron_parse.rb:9
	from cron_parse.rb:7:in `open'
	from cron_parse.rb:7

Command being executed is like so:

Code:
ruby cron_parse.rb "Thurs Feb 7 01:00 UTC 2013" "Thurs Feb 7 01:14 UTC 2013"

I suspect it's because of the addition of
Code:
 crontab = CrontabParser.new(File.read(file))

in relation to
Code:
cron  = CrontabParser.new(crontab_data.join("\n"))

but I'm not really sure of how to deal with this.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 02-07-2013 at 04:53 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert "text" to "packed-decimal"?

Is there a way with HP-UX Release 10.20 (but going to HP-UX 11) to convert a regular "text" file to a packed data format (such as is created by a Cobol program)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HuskyJim
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input string="3MMTQSZ348GGMZRQWMJM4SD6M";output string="3MMTQ-SZ348-GGMZR-QWMJM-4SD6

input string="3MMTQSZ348GGMZRQWMJM4SD6M" output string="3MMTQ-SZ348-GGMZR-QWMJM-4SD6M" using linux shell script (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert "Nov 9 11:35:28 2009" to "200911091135"

Using AIX 5.3 and /user/bin/ksh. Anyone have a quick way to convert the string date Nov 9 11:35:28 2009 to 200911091135 I know I could create a table of months and find the month number by searching the list, but I was hoping there was some handy little known command to do this... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with "[" and "]" and "dot" within the search string

Hello. Following recommendations for one of my threads, this is working perfectly : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text 1" -e "some text 2" -e "some text 3" "/tmp/log_file.txt" ) Now I need a grep success for some thing like : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Convert "hex" foldername to "ascii"

So, I have a folder, containing subdirs like this: 52334d50 52365245 524b4450 524f3350 52533950 52535050 52555550 now I want to go ahead and rename all those folder: hex -> ascii (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
8 Replies
RUBY-SWITCH(1)															    RUBY-SWITCH(1)

NAME
ruby-switch - switch between different Ruby interpreters USAGE
ruby-switch --list ruby-switch --check ruby-switch --set RUBYVERSION ruby-switch --auto DESCRIPTION
ruby-switch can be used to easily switch to different Ruby interpreters as the default system-wide interpreter for your Debian system. When run with --list, all supported Ruby interpreters are listed. When --check is passed, ruby-switch will check which Ruby interpreter is currently being used. If the settings are inconsistent -- e.g. `ruby` is Ruby 1.8 and `gem` is using Ruby 1.9.1, ruby-switch will issue a big warning. When --set RUBYINTERPRETER is used ruby-switch will switch your system to the corresponding Ruby interpreter. This includes, for example, the default implementations for the following programs: ruby, gem, irb, erb, testrb, rdoc, ri. ruby-switch --set auto will make your system use the default Ruby interpreter currently suggested by Debian. OPTIONS
-h, --help Displays the help and exits. A NOTE ON RUBY 1.9.x Ruby uses two parallel versioning schemes: the `Ruby library compatibility version' (1.9.1 at the time of writing this), which is similar to a library SONAME, and the `Ruby version' (1.9.3 is about to be released at the time of writing). Ruby packages in Debian are named using the Ruby library compatibility version, which is sometimes confusing for users who do not follow Ruby development closely. ruby-switch also uses the Ruby library compatibility version, so specifying `ruby1.9.1' might give you Ruby with version 1.9.2, or with version 1.9.3, depending on the current Ruby version of the `ruby1.9.1' package. COPYRIGHT AND AUTHORS
Copyright (c) 2011, Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. 2011-11-20 RUBY-SWITCH(1)