Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt (How to format message.txt for html email) Post 302767793 by Ronald B on Thursday 7th of February 2013 01:19:28 PM
Old 02-07-2013
Ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt (How to format message.txt for html email)

ssmtp has been running well under Kubuntu 12.04.1 for plain text messages. I would like to send html messages with ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt, but I cannot seem to get the message.txt file properly formatted. I have tried various charsets,
Content-Transfer-Encoding, rearranging the order, including \r\n, etc. The message comes through with only the "To:" being acknowledged. The remainder of the file text appears in the body as plain text.

Here is an example:

To: Admin<Me@SomePlace.com>
Subject: Some App Notice
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8"
<html>
<body>
<h2>Some app blah blah!</h2>
</body>
</html>

What am I doing wrong?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo "ABC" > file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt

Hi Guru's, I need to create 3 files with the contents "ABC" using single command. Iam using: echo "ABC" > file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt the above command is not working. pls help me... With Regards / Ganapati (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format txt file as html table

I have a short time to solve a problem, so I need some help. I've searched the forum, but I couldn't find a solution to my problem. I made a script to filter some text and now I have a new requirement to make it available as html table. Problem is that I more than one files with different set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tetreb
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send message in html format using shell script

I want to send email message in html format using unix shell script. I use sendEmail command in my script to send email message. The syntaxt of the sendEmail command is as follows: $sendEmail -f <email> -t <email> -u $subject -s smtpserver:port -o message-file=html I should be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baps
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find lines in file1.txt not found in file2.txt memory problem

I have a diff command that does what I want but when comparing large text/log files, it uses up all the memory I have (sometimes over 8gig of memory) diff file1.txt file2.txt | grep '^<'| awk '{$1="";print $0}' | sed 's/^ *//' Is there a better more efficient way to find the lines in one file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk append fileA.txt to growing file B.txt

This is appending a column. My question is fairly simple. I have a program generating data in a form like so: 1 20 2 22 3 23 4 12 5 43 For ever iteration I'm generating this data. I have the basic idea with cut -f 2 fileA.txt | paste -d >> FileB.txt ???? I want FileB.txt to grow, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: theawknewbie
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desired output.txt for reading txt file using awk?

Dear all, I have a huge txt file (DATA.txt) with the following content . From this txt file, I want the following output using some shell script. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greetings, emily DATA.txt (snippet of the huge text file) 407202849... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert Txt file to HTML table and email

Hi all I need help converting a text file into a html table in bash and I need to email this table. The text file looks like the below. Two columns with multiple rows. Top row being header. Application Name Application Status Application 1 Open Application 2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmanjd
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, sed, shell all words in INPUT.txt find in column1 of TABLE.txt and replce with column2 in

Hi dears i have text file like this: INPUT.txt 001_1_173 j nuh ]az 001_1_174 j ]esma. nuh ]/.xori . . . and have another text like this TABLE.txt j j nuh word1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
6 Replies
MIME::Field::ContType(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  MIME::Field::ContType(3)

NAME
MIME::Field::ContType - a "Content-type" field DESCRIPTION
A subclass of Mail::Field. Don't use this class directly... its name may change in the future! Instead, ask Mail::Field for new instances based on the field name! SYNOPSIS
use Mail::Field; use MIME::Head; # Create an instance from some text: $field = Mail::Field->new('Content-type', 'text/HTML; charset="US-ASCII"'); # Get the MIME type, like 'text/plain' or 'x-foobar'. # Returns 'text/plain' as default, as per RFC 2045: my ($type, $subtype) = split('/', $field->type); # Get generic information: print $field->name; # Get information related to "message" type: if ($type eq 'message') { print $field->id; print $field->number; print $field->total; } # Get information related to "multipart" type: if ($type eq 'multipart') { print $field->boundary; # the basic value, fixed up print $field->multipart_boundary; # empty if not a multipart message! } # Get information related to "text" type: if ($type eq 'text') { print $field->charset; # returns 'us-ascii' as default } PUBLIC INTERFACE
boundary Return the boundary field. The boundary is returned exactly as given in the "Content-type:" field; that is, the leading double-hyphen ("--") is not prepended. (Well, almost exactly... from RFC 2046: (If a boundary appears to end with white space, the white space must be presumed to have been added by a gateway, and must be deleted.) so we oblige and remove any trailing spaces.) Returns the empty string if there is no boundary, or if the boundary is illegal (e.g., if it is empty after all trailing whitespace has been removed). multipart_boundary Like "boundary()", except that this will also return the empty string if the message is not a multipart message. In other words, there's an automatic sanity check. type Try real hard to determine the content type (e.g., "text/plain", "image/gif", "x-weird-type", which is returned in all-lowercase. A happy thing: the following code will work just as you would want, even if there's no subtype (as in "x-weird-type")... in such a case, the $subtype would simply be the empty string: ($type, $subtype) = split('/', $head->mime_type); If the content-type information is missing, it defaults to "text/plain", as per RFC 2045: Default RFC 2822 messages are typed by this protocol as plain text in the US-ASCII character set, which can be explicitly specified as "Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii". If no Content-Type is specified, this default is assumed. Note: under the "be liberal in what we accept" principle, this routine no longer syntax-checks the content type. If it ain't empty, just downcase and return it. NOTES
Since nearly all (if not all) parameters must have non-empty values to be considered valid, we just return the empty string to signify missing fields. If you need to get the real underlying value, use the inherited "param()" method (which returns undef if the parameter is missing). SEE ALSO
MIME::Field::ParamVal, Mail::Field AUTHOR
Eryq (eryq@zeegee.com), ZeeGee Software Inc (http://www.zeegee.com). David F. Skoll (dfs@roaringpenguin.com) http://www.roaringpenguin.com perl v5.12.1 2008-06-30 MIME::Field::ContType(3)