Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Determining how long device has been in defined state Post 302766467 by dukessd on Monday 4th of February 2013 07:01:49 PM
Old 02-04-2013
You could use alog to check the boot log file but on most systems I see they wrap at a couple of boots, or less, so it may be lost.

Just like the errlog file these are way too small by default.

The errlog is by default 1MB of disk space on a system with 4, 16, 64 GB ram, this is silly, turn it up people if you want to have any idea of what happened!

I've seen systems fill the errlog in less than a minute!

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hitting with custom port in CLOSE_WAIT state for long time in solaris 10

Hi, Occasionally I am getting the port state in CLOSE_WAIT for long time in the solaris server. I am not sure is it application problem or not. Because we are using port 9009 for Tomcat process in our web application, some time when I start the application, the port 9009 is in CLOSE_WAIT... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgmk.84
0 Replies

2. AIX

Device Available / Define state

Hi, I would like to know wheather it is possible to make device in availabe state? if for same reason os is not able to make it in available state. and it is in define state. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

4. AIX

Open firmware state to running state

Hi Admins, I am having a whole system lpar in open firmware state on HMC. How can I bring it to running state ? Let me know. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
vlfmt(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						 vlfmt(3C)

NAME
vlfmt - display error message in standard format and pass to logging and monitoring services SYNOPSIS
#include <pfmt.h> #include <stdarg.h> int vlfmt(FILE *stream, long flag, const char *format, va_list ap); DESCRIPTION
The vlfmt() function is identical to lfmt(3C), except that it is called with an argument list as defined by <stdarg.h>. The <stdarg.h> header defines the type va_list and a set of macros for advancing through a list of arguments whose number and types may vary. The ap argument is of type va_list. This argument is used with the <stdarg.h> macros va_start(), va_arg(), and va_end(). See stdarg(3EXT). The example in the EXAMPLES section below demonstrates their use with vlfmt(). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, vlfmt() returns the number of bytes transmitted. Otherwise, -1 is returned if there was a write error to stream, or -2 is returned if unable to log and/or display at console. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Use of vlfmt() to write an errlog()routine. The following example demonstrates how vlfmt() could be used to write an errlog() routine. The va_alist() macro is used as the parameter list in a function definition. The va_start(ap, ...) call, where ap is of type va_list, must be invoked before any attempt to traverse and access unnamed arguments. Calls to va_arg(ap, atype) traverse the argument list. Each execution of va_arg() expands to an expression with the value and type of the next argument in the list ap, which is the same object initialized by va_start(). The atype argument is the type that the returned argument is expected to be. The va_end(ap) macro must be invoked when all desired arguments have been accessed. The argu- ment list in ap can be traversed again if va_start() is called again after va_end().) In the example below, va_arg() is executed first to retrieve the format string passed to errlog(). The remaining errlog() arguments (arg1, arg2, ...) are passed to vlfmt() in the argument ap. #include <pfmt.h> #include <stdarg.h> /* * errlog should be called like * errlog(log_info, format, arg1, ...); */ void errlog(long log_info, ...) { va_list ap; char *format; va_start(ap, ); format = va_arg(ap, char *); (void) vlfmt(stderr, log_info|MM_ERROR, format, ap); va_end(ap); (void) abort(); } USAGE
Since vlfmt() uses gettxt(3C), it is recommended that vlfmt() not be used. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gettxt(3C), lfmt(3C), attributes(5), stdarg(3EXT) SunOS 5.11 29 Dec 1996 vlfmt(3C)