Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help combining txt files w/ multiple lines into csv single cell - also need data merge Post 302766135 by RudiC on Monday 4th of February 2013 09:12:47 AM
Old 02-04-2013
PLEASE use code tags as demanded by forum rules.

I'm lost, too. I guess it's two threads in one? Pls post (for each sub thread) input and output samples, and a comprehensible description of how you expect things to work on input to produce the desired output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help--script to filter specific lines from multiple txt files

Hi folks, - I have 800 txt files - those files are cisco router configs router1.txt router2.txt ... router800.txt I want to accomplish the following: - I want to have a seperate file with all the filenames that I want to process - I want a script that goes trough all those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove certain lines in multiple txt files?

Hi , I have this type of files:- BGH.28OCT2008.00000001.433155.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000002.1552361.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000003.1438355.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000004.1562602.001 Inside them contains the below: 5Discounts 6P150 - Max Total Usage RM150|-221.00 P150 EPP - Talktime RM150... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: olloong
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge text files while combining the multiple header/trailer records into one each.

Situation: Our system currently executes a job (COBOL Program) that generates an interface file to be sent to one of our vendors. Because this system processes information for over 100,000 employees/retirees (and growing), we'd like to multi-thread the job into processing-groups in order to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oordonez
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two csv files by two colums and create third file combining data from them.

I've got two large csv text table files with different number of columns each. I have to compare them based on first two columns and create resulting file that would in case of matched first two columns include all values from first one and all values (except first two colums) from second one. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: agb2008
5 Replies

5. Programming

PERL:Combining multiple lines to single line

Hi All I need a small help for the below format in making a small script in Perl or Shell. I have a file in which a single line entries are broken into three line entries. Eg: I have a pen and notebook. All i want is to capture in a single line in a separate file. eg: I have a pen and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaiela
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining columns from multiple files into one single output file

Hi, I have 3 files with one column value as shown File: a.txt ------------ Data_a1 Data_a2 File2: b.txt ------------ Data_b1 Data_b2 Data_b3 Data_b4 File3: c.txt ------------ Data_c1 Data_c2 Data_c3 Data_c4 Data_c5 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vfrg
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to extract data from single first cell and copy it notepad?

how to extract data from single first cell and copy it notepad sample source IN EXCEL DD-MM-YYYY LOANNUM LOANPARTID OUTPUT IN NOTEPAD DD-MM-YYYY I WANT ALONE DATE SHOULD BE EXTRACTED FROM EXCEL AND COPY IT IN NOTEPAD CAN ANYONE HELP REGARDING THIS USING SCRIPTS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gchandu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge the multiple data files as a single file?

Hi Experts, I have created multiple scripts and send the output to new file, getting this output to my mailbox on daily basis. I would like to send the all outputs to a single file, need to merge all file outputs on a single file. For example, Created script for df -h > df.doc grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple lines into a single line

Hi all, I'm relatively new to scripting, I can do pretty basic things. I have a daily log file that looks like: timestamp=2017-06-28-01.01.35.080576; event status=0; userid=user1; authid=user1; application id=10.10.10.10.11111.12345678901; application name=GUI; ... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwdnet
29 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tabbed multiple csv files into one single excel file with using shell script not perl

Hi Experts, I am querying backup status results for multiple databases and getting each and every database result in one csv file. so i need to combine all csv files in one excel file with separate tabs. I am not familiar with perl script so i am using shell script. Could anyone please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramakrk2
4 Replies
CSV2LATEX(1)						      General Commands Manual						      CSV2LATEX(1)

NAME
csv2latex -- convert a csv file into a LaTeX document SYNOPSIS
csv2latex [--nohead] [--longtable] [--noescape] [--guess] [--separator c|s|t|p|l] [--block q|d|n] [--lines #] [--position l|c|r] [--colorrows 0-1] [--reduce 1|2|3|4] [--repeatheader] [--nohlines] [--novlines] [file] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the csv2latex program. csv2latex is a program that reads a "comma separated values" (csv) file and outputs a LaTeX file with one or more tabular environments to display the printable values of the csv file. The LaTeX code is flushed on the standard output. So-called "comma separated values" files are common formats for exchanging two-dimensinal tables between programs such as spreadsheets edi- tors, to represent almost any kind of data. By default, a csv file is made of printable data separated by commas (`,'), each comma repre- senting a `cell' separator, and each line representing a row. By extension, cell separators can be represented by tabs if the comma is con- sidered as printable data. Moreover, some non true csv files can be assumed as two-dimensional tables as well. In some circumstances, if the printable data includes the cell separator of the exchange format, the latter can use a second extra character to embrace the printable data into a block (e.g: quoted text). Thus, it is still possible to parse the file by using the block delimiter (used twice to embrace the cell) instead of the separator. csv2latex aims to parse various csv formats plus formats that fits into the above definiton, assuming the data is text, and to produce a yet simple LaTeX file using the "tabular" environment for a table-style layout. Some options of output will also use macros provided by extra LaTeX packages that are commonly included in the main LaTeX distributions. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -h --help Show summary of options. -v --version Show version of program. -n --nohead Do not output the LaTeX document header. This is useful when the output is to be included as a separate file into the master document. -t --longtable uses the 'longtable' package instead of the 'tabular' one. This is useful when the input is long, with --lines 0 option. This option uses the extra `longtable' LaTeX package. If you also use --nohead option, do not forget to add the following line into the header of your master document: "usepackage{longtable}". -x --noescape Do not escape TeX control characters from the input. This is useful when the input contains already TeX code. -g --guess Try to guess the csv format. This is useful when the input is not strictly a comma separated set of printable data. For exam- ple, a line like %Foo, Bar%:%Wizz: Hey% may be parsed as "Foo, Bar" then "Wizz: Hey". -s c|s|t|p|l --separator c|s|t|p|l Set the given separator as cell separator of the csv format. `c' means a comma (default). `s' means a semicolon. `t' means a tab. `p' means a space. `l' means a colon. -b q|d|n --block q|d|n Set the given block delimiter that embraces the printable data of the csv format. `q' means a simple quote. `d' means a double quote. `n' means no quoting at all (default). -l # --lines # Force to output multiple tabulars, each having a limited number of lines. The given argument must be a POSITIVE INTEGER VALUE. This is useful when the number of input rows is too big to fit into a single papersheet. A good average for a4 paper is about 40 lines (default). 0 means infinity (actualy about 2 Giga lines). -p l|c|r --position l|c|r Set the text position in all cells at once. This simply uses one of the three basic cell formating options of the LaTeX tabular environment. `l' means left-aligned (default). `c' means centered. `r' means right-aligned. -c 0-1 --colorrows 0-1 Alternate white/gray rows on the LaTeX output, having the given graylevel. The given argument must be a REAL NUMBER BETWEEN 0 AND 1. 0 means black while 1 means white. A nice looking value is 0.75 when printed on white paper. This option uses the extra `colortbl' LaTeX package. If you also use --nohead option, do not forget to add the following line into the header of your mas- ter document: "usepackage{colortbl}". -r 1|2|3|4 --reduce 1|2|3|4 Reduce the size of the tabular and the font in the LaTeX output, given a reduction level. The given argument must be one of 1, 2, 3 or 4. The more the level is high, the more the tabular will appear small. This is useful to shrink the table width when the printable data is made of very long text. This option uses the extra `relsize' LaTeX package. If you also use --nohead option, do not forget to add the following line into the header of your master document: "usepackage{relsize}". -z --nohlines Do not output horizontal lines in the table(s). -y --novlines Do not output vertical lines in the table(s). -e --repeatheader Repeat the first row of the first table in every table. This is useful when the output is very long and separated in multiple tables. EXAMPLES
Create a PDF document with small text, alternate gray rows, 80 lines per table, from a guessed csv format of the january stats that my boss created with his super point-and-click spreadsheet program (which could not generate a PDF output!). csv2latex --guess --lines 80 --colorrows 0.75 --reduce 2 january_stats.csv > january_stats.tex && pdflatex january_stats.tex Quickly preview a phonebook from a file formated as "Surname" "Name" "Phone" "Cellular": csv2latex -s p -b d -l 42 phonebook-sorted.txt | latex SEE ALSO
tex (1), latex (1). CSV2LATEX(1)