Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Emptying the history
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Emptying the history Post 302765839 by SkySmart on Sunday 3rd of February 2013 03:19:32 PM
Old 02-03-2013
Emptying the history

is there any other way for someone to see the history of my commands after i've nulled the .bash_history file?

i'm curious. i usually do this each time i want to prevent spies:

Code:
cat /dev/null > .bash_history

i work in an environment where multiple people have root access. meaning, we can all "sudo -sE or sudo su - root".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Null values after emptying a log file

Hi, I have a log file which is constantly being written to by some process. I need to clear that log file on a daily basis. The problem is that when I issue this command: echo "" > logfile.log the file gets filled with nulls thus increasing the size of the file. Is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasie4life
2 Replies

2. Linux

Emptying Trash

Hi all i hope someone can help me, in gnome if you right click on trash, you get another menu appear 'Empty Trash' what i want to do is be able to edit this command so that it secure deletes the trash, where is that command? so i can edit it. thanks in advance for any help, Dave (shred -z -u ) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave123
0 Replies

3. AIX

Impacts of emptying /var/adm/wtmp file ?

In our operating procedures, if a workstation has a space problem in the /var filesystem, one of the most frequent case we were told is the size of the /var/adm/wtmp file. Someone once told me it is dangerous to do this. Is it ? I cannot say for certain that whomever wrote that procedure is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Emptying files in a loop

I'm trying to write a script that will empty all contents in a set of files in a directory - without deleting the files themselves. I know the command (at BASH prompt) is: > (filename) I'm iterating over all files in the directory and calling the > command thus : FILES=*.log for f in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SixSigma1978
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emptying a file (bring the size of the file down to 0 , or close to 0)

Hi I tried to empty an existing file (bring the size of the file down to 0). When I used “> myFile” or “cat </dev/null >myFile”, when I do a “ls –la”, the file size shows as 0. I then wrote 540 lines to the file, and then opened it using vi, I see something like this: "myFile" 540 lines,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qmqmqm
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed emptying file when i use for search replace operation

Hi Friends I am new to sed programming , i found that the below code can search for the $ToSearch and Replace it with $ToReplace ( $ToSearch and $ToReplace are my variables in my script ) sed "s/$ToSearch/$ToReplace/" $file > $output mv $output $file In testing the script i found that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies
csp_helper(1)							  USER COMMANDS 						     csp_helper(1)

NAME
      csp_helper - A collection of caspar helper scripts

SYNOPSIS
      csp_install dir (directory) file (file)

csp_mkdircp dir (directory) file (file)

csp_scp_keep_mode h ([user@]host) dir (directory) file (file)

csp_sucp h ([user@]host) dir (directory) file (file)

DESCRIPTION
      The  scripts  csp_install,  csp_mkdircp,	csp_scp_keep_mode  and csp_sucp are helpers for caspar(7). These scripts typically are not invoked
      directly, but via a Makefile which uses caspar. See the notes on	csp_PUSH  in  caspar(7)  for  information  on  how  to	link  csp_install,
      csp_scp_keep_mode and csp_sucp to caspar.

install DESCRIPTION
      csp_install creates the required directory (if needed) and installs the file, preserving timestamps. It uses install(1).

install EXAMPLES
       csp_INSTALL_OPTIONS='--owner=www-data --group=www-data' 
	csp_INSTALL_MODE=ugo=r 
	csp_install /srv/www index.html

csp_INSTALL_MODE=u=rwx,go= csp_install /usr/local/sbin mkpasswd

install ENVIRONMENT
      csp_install honors csp_INSTALL_OPTIONS and csp_INSTALL_MODE (default is u=rw,go=r).

mkdircp DESCRIPTION
      csp_mkdircp calls mkdir(1) and cp(1).

scp_keep_mode DESCRIPTION
      csp_scp_keep_mode  uses  ssh to copy a file to a remote host, keeping its file permission mode. The trick used is a combination of mktemp(1)
      and mv(1).  Useful if you'd like to be sure a file gets installed e.g. group writable, without fiddling with permission bits on  the  remote
      host.

scp_keep_mode EXAMPLE
	chmod g+w rc
	csp_scp_keep_mode root@gandalf /etc/uruk rc

scp_keep_mode ENVIRONMENT
      csp_scp_keep_mode honors csp_SSH ("ssh" by default).

sucp DESCRIPTION
      csp_sucp calls cat(1) from within sudo(1) from within ssh(1). This allows one to copy files to accounts on hosts one can only reach by call-
      ing sudo on the ssh-reachable remote host.

Typically, one wants to install a root-owned file, but one does not want to allow access to the root-account directly  from  ssh.  Typically
      sudo is used as an extra line of defense.

sucp EXAMPLES
      Some examples:

csp_sucp rms@bilbo /etc fstab

csp_sucp monty-python commit/ trailer.txt

sucp BUGS
      If  NOPASSWD  is	not  set in the sudoers(5) file, and one's timestamp is expired, csp_sucp will forward the sudo password prompt. The given
      password will be echoed on the console!

AUTHOR
      Joost van Baal-Ili

SEE ALSO
      caspar(7) The caspar homepage is at http://mdcc.cx/caspar/ .

csp_helper 20120514						      14 mai 2012						       csp_helper(1)