Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help- writing to dir with no write permissions (script) Post 302765753 by RudiC on Sunday 3rd of February 2013 09:16:50 AM
Old 02-03-2013
This is only 1/3 of what I asked you to post. What user are you? Should you be root, no wonder you can write to that dir. Should you not be rot, we need the xtrace log.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File and Dir permissions

I would like to configure my SuSE 7.0 workstation more securely. I have attempted for about two weeks to find a guideline on good practices for the file and directory permissions.........but to no avail. Does anyone have a guideline that I could use to help me out. I realize that the distros are... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomas.jones
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing files to a dir in round robin order

I have a list of directories. (say a1,a2,a3,a4,a5) I need to get the directory last modified and access the next one to put some files over there (say if a3 is the latest dir modified ie, last time files were put into a3, this time I need to move the files in a4)...and if a5 is the last modified... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanchan_cp
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to write a script to test the folder permissions

Hi All, I want a script to test folder permissions.( to alert me if a folder /abc/xyz does not have 775 permissions). i want to test /abc/xyz is having 775 permissions or not if not it has to alert me. Please help me ASAP Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh212512
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to save/restore files and dir permissions

Hello all: I need found script to save and restore file permissions and owner:group... this is for backup my server... I have one problem in my server and file permissions and owner:group, mess up.. For this reason i need found one way to secure this aspect of the server... Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joangopan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

to write a script to compare the file size in the current directory and previous dir

hi, i am new to this site. i want to write a script to compare the file size of the files in the current dir with the files in the previous directory. the files name will be same, but the filename format will be as xyzddddyymm.txt. the files will arrive with the month end date(i want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tweety
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help writing rm script excluding specific titled dir

I am attempting to write a housecleaning script that does the following: 1) goes to a specific directory 2) deletes all contents of that directory but a specific directory within it. So my users all keep and use the Shared directory in OSX. Within /Users/Shared there are also standard named... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nomados
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dir permissions

Hi All, I have a script which will be run by another user say user 2 which will create a new dir say dir 4 in my work place and copy certains files from his dir. /t1/t2/t3/dir4 I want to allow the user to create the dir dir4 and copy the files,but bring the control back to my name say user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have files take on DIR permissions

Hello all; I have a question based on a ticket I have from a user... K...first some background...this client needed a generic user setup to allow them to ftp files; user is called "msifpt"...so here's what they want to do now with this account: 1. Client will use the user id ‘msiftp'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Allow user without dir write permission to execute a script that creates files

In our project we have several unix scripts that trigger different processes. These scripts write logs to a particular folder 'sesslogs', create output data files in a separate directory called 'datafiles' etc. Usually L1 support team re-run these scripts . We donot want L1 support team to have... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
14 Replies

10. AIX

Assign read write permission to the user for specific dir and it's sub dir and files in AIX

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. I do not want to assign user the same group of that directories too.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
0 Replies
vold(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  vold(1M)

NAME
vold - Volume Management daemon to manage removable media devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/vold [-n] [-t] [-v] [-f config-file] [-l log-file] [-d root-dir] [-L debug-level] DESCRIPTION
The Volume Management daemon, vold, creates and maintains a file system image rooted at root-dir that contains symbolic names for removable media devices. These devices include CD-ROMs, floppies, DVDs, and USB 1394 devices. The default root-dir is set to /vol if no directory is specified by the -d option. vold reads the /etc/vold.conf configuration file upon startup. If the configuration file is modified later, vold must be told to reread the /etc/vold.conf file. Do this by entering: example# kill -HUP vold_pid To tell vold to clean up and exit, the SIGTERM signal is used: example# kill -TERM vold_pid where vold_pid is the process ID of vold. A disk storage device can not be removed or inserted while vold is active. To remove or insert a removeable mass storage device such as a USB memory stick, first stop the daemon by issuing the command /etc/init.d/volmgt stop. After the device has been removed or inserted, restart the daemon by issuing the command /etc/init.d/volmgt start. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Never writeback. Volume Management updates media labels with unique information if labels are not unique. This flag keeps Volume Management from changing your media. The default setting is FALSE. -t Dump NFS trace information to the log file. The default setting is FALSE. -v Provide lots of status information to the log file. The default setting is FALSE (do not provide status info to log file). -d root-dir Specify an alternate root directory. The default location is /vol. Setting this will also cause other Volume Management utilities to use this as the default root directory. -fconfig-file Specify an alternate configuration file. The default file is /etc/vold.conf. -llog-file Specify an alternate log file. The default log file is /var/adm/vold.log. -Ldebug-level Change the level (verbosity) of debug messages sent to the log file. The range is 0 to 99 where 0 is nothing and 99 is everything. The default level is 0. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
vold sets the following environment variables to aid programs which are called when events such as insert, notify, and eject occur: VOLUME_ACTION Event that caused this program to be executed. VOLUME_PATH Pathname of the matched regex from the vold.conf file. VOLUME_DEVICE Device (in /vol/dev) that applies to the media. VOLUME_NAME Name of the volume in question. VOLUME_USER User ID of the user causing the event to occur. VOLUME_SYMNAME Symbolic name of a device containing the volume. VOLUME_MEDIATYPE Name of the type of media (CD-ROM, floppy or rmdisk) FILES
/etc/vold.conf Volume Management daemon configuration file. Directs the Volume Management daemon to control certain devices, and causes events to occur when specific criteria are met. /usr/lib/vold/*.so.1 Shared objects called by Volume Management daemon when certain actions occur. /var/adm/vold.log the default log file location (see the -l option for a description). /vol the default Volume Management root directory. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWvolu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
volcancel(1), volcheck(1), volmissing(1), rmmount(1M), rpc.smserverd(1M), rmmount.conf(4), vold.conf(4), attributes(5), volfs(7FS) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration SunOS 5.10 13 Sept 2004 vold(1M)