Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [Solved] New line
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] New line Post 302765517 by Yoda on Saturday 2nd of February 2013 02:18:45 PM
Old 02-02-2013
You have to use -e option to enable interpretation of backslash escapes
Code:
echo -e "Line1\nLine2"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solved - removing last n char in every line

Hi all, I want to remove last n char in every line. I'm having the comment as, cnt=10 cat filename | rev | cut -c $cnt- | rev I want to have it with sed or awk or any command except perl. Pls help me in the comment. I have tried few options using sed. But not able to get it. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Read a .gz file line by line without using gzcat

Hi all Is there a way to read and process a gzip file line by line similar to a text file without using gzcat.. while processing a text file we will usually use the logic exec<sample.txt while read line do echo $line done Is there a similar way to process the gz file in the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aikhaman
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] making each word of a line to a separate line

Hi, I have a line which has n number of words with separated by space. I wanted to make each word as a separate line. for example, i have a file that has line like i am a good boy i want the output like, i am a good (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and append line to output

Hi All, I am trying to write a shell script but not getting desired output. What i am trying to do. 1.I want to use find command command and then use it xargs/exec to append the find output.But i am not getting desired output here is what i am trying to do #find init*.ora -exec `echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Help to remove a line from a file

Hi, I just upgraded one my server to latest version RHEL, I have many users who will do SSH from another server. I wanted to update all of the users home directory and remove the security key. For example. /home/XYZ/.ssh/known_hosts and remove this hostsname. Please see below and advise.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

7. Programming

[SOLVED] C++ print next line until line.empty

Hi, could you please help with the following: I have an input file like: one two three four five six I want to print the lines starting from 'three' to the empty line. Something like that: if ( line == "three" ) { while ( !line.empty() ) { cout <<... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] New Line in file

Hi, Though I was successful in following query, I like to know the other ways of doing it. I have a file that is sent as an attachment via mail. However, while opening it, notepad does not recognize new line character whereas other editors like text pad recognizes new line character of unix.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to separate one line to mutiple line based on certain number of characters?

hi Gurus, I need separate a file which is one huge line to multiple lines based on certain number of charactors. for example: abcdefghi high abaddffdd I want to separate the line to multiple lines for every 4 charactors. the result should be abcd efgh i hi gh a badd ffdd Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Output on one line

A simple question, but i am finding it diffcult to find the answer. Can you please tell me how i can get the output of two line on one. I am aware i need to enter \ something, but no sure which charcter, can you advice. CODE for i in `cat LDN_HOSTS_190813 | grep -i LDN | awk '{print... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
7 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)