Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk count fields not working
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk count fields not working Post 302765383 by RudiC on Saturday 2nd of February 2013 06:36:30 AM
Old 02-02-2013
Please use code tags for data as well!
Try
Code:
awk -F"," 'NF!=6'
200,3000,,1000,01/28/2012 17:12:30

No need for grep. awk will check the field count, and, if eq. 6, print the line, otherwise, not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count fields

Is there a way to count the no. of fields (columns) in a file? Actually I need to cut some fields starting from the middle to the end. How can I specify to cut till last field? thanks in advance :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of fields not using SED or AWK

hi forums i need help with a little problem i am having. i need to count the number of fields that are in a saved variable so i can use that number to make a different function work properly. is there a way of doing this without using SED/AWK? anything would be greatly appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print 1st field and last 2 fields together and the rest of the fields after it using awk?

Hi experts, I need to print the first field first then last two fields should come next and then i need to print rest of the fields. Input : a1,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk,b1,b2 a2,acb,dfg,ghj,b3,c4 a3,djf,wdjg,fkg,dff,ggk,d4,d5 Expected output: a1,b1,b2,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed : awk command to count the occurrences of fields from one file present in the other file

Hi, file1.txt AAA BBB CCC DDD file2.txt abc|AAA|AAAabcbcs|fnwufnq bca|nwruqf|AAA|fwfwwefwef fmimwe|BBB|fnqwufw|wufbqw wcdbi|CCC|wefnwin|wfwwf DDD|wabvfav|wqef|fwbwqfwfe i need the count of rows of file1.txt present in the file2.txt required output: AAA 2 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort based on difference of fields and print all fields

Hi I have a file as below <field1> <field2> <field3> ... <field_num1> <field_num2> Trying to sort based on difference of <field_num1> and <field_num2> in desceding order and print all fields. I tried this and it doesn't sort on the difference field .. Appreciate your help. cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newstart
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to count and rename based on fields

In the below awk using the tab-delimited input, I am trying count the - symbol in $5 and output the count as well as the renamed condition ins. I am also count the - symbol in $6 and output the count as well as the renamed condition del. I am also count the tomes that in $5 and $6 there are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to output match and mismatch with count using specific fields

In the below awk I am trying output to one file those lines that match between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count in (). I am also trying to output those lines that are missing between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count of in () each. Both input files are tab-delimited, but the... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines where field count is greather than 1 in two fields

I am trying to remove all the lines and spaces where the count in $4 or $5 is greater than 1 (more than 1 letter). The file and the output are tab-delimited. Thank you :). file X 5811530 . G C NLGN4X 17 10544696 . GA G MYH3 9 96439004 . C ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)