Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How get program name that produced an IO error redirected to a LOG in a nohup command? Post 302765291 by Don Cragun on Friday 1st of February 2013 08:52:16 PM
Old 02-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by enriquegm82
I attempted to use redirection ">log_file 2>&1" and it is still logging to the outer log, instead of looging to the three inner logs. Please help.
You have 4 commands that are using redirection:
Code:
nohup nice -10 programA 2>&1 > logfileA.txt
nohup nice -10 program1a 2>&1 > logfile1a.txt
nohup nice -10 program1b 2>&1 > logfile1b.txt
nohup nice -10 program1c 2>&1 > logfile1c.txt

You need to change the order of redirections on all four of them to:
Code:
nohup nice -10 programA > logfileA.txt 2>&1
nohup nice -10 program1a > logfile1a.txt 2>&1
nohup nice -10 program1b > logfile1b.txt 2>&1
nohup nice -10 program1c > logfile1c.txt 2>&1

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f a log file redirected into a new window?

Is this possible? I am attempting to display a new xterm window and tail -f the log file within that new window. I am currently working on a solaris 8 machine if that has any different meaning than the other platforms. As you can see, I am a newbie to this forum and to UNIX. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: douknownam
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup Command

Hello All, I am newbie to unix.I am trying to use NOHUP command in shell script it works fine with only "nohup test.sh 10 &" and "/opt/user/nohup test.sh 10 &" gives an error saying "ksh: /opt/user/nohup : not found". Can anybody please guide me to make it work. Thanks Blazix (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: blazix
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ignoring files that are currently being produced

Hi! Letīs say I want copy dump-files to a location. These dump-files vary between 80 and 280MB and will be produced in about 1min or less. I have a cronjob which (not only) copies those. So how can I find out whether a file is currently produced or not? Because if my script works with these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypher82
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nohup command..

Hi.. Can anybody tell me, what exactly the nohup command does & when is it used? Your help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol21
3 Replies

5. Programming

Want to get /var/log/messages redirected to a FIFO ...

Is it possible that I get all the syslog messages from /var/log/messages redirected to some FIFO as and when any new messages comes. In exact, I need to duplicate the messages to a FIFO, the moment a new message is logged; from where another process reads and does some processing without... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
12 Replies

6. Solaris

Error messgaes can not be redirected

# whoami 2>/dev/null whoami: not found # Why the error message not getting redirected to /dev/null ... The shell is # echo $SHELL /sbin/sh For other commands it is working # ls aaa 2>/dev/null # Is there any other way to redirect the err msg from whoami Thank you for your... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anu_1
7 Replies

7. AIX

Nohup command

I'm trying to run a compress script in the background, but I even though the script is running in the background I get "Sending nohup output to nohup.out." and the screen just stays there. How can I make the script run in background and make my command prompt come back. I was using: nohup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make - two target produced by one recipe

Suppose executable X produces files A and B from nothing, Y produces C from A, Z produces D from B, and my final goal is to produce C and D. I wrote the following makefile: .PHONY: all all: C D C: A Y A D: B Z B A B: X This makefile seems to reflect all dependencies, as it should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ybelenky
2 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

missing delimiters when mysql output is redirected to log file

Hi, Pls check that '|' and '+' present in Step-1 are not copied to log file in Step-3. Pls suggest how to get the exact output from Step-1 (i.e. with out losing '|' and '+') in to a log file ~Thanks Step-1: Execute command > mysql -utest -ptest -htesthost testdb -e "select * from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dot and redirected output syntax in a tar command

Hi All, Please could anyone advise what the purpose of the dot syntax in the following command means: tar -cvf ${WORKING_BACKUP_ROOT}/${TAR_ARCHIVE_FILE} . >/${BACKUP_ROOT}/${ARCHIVE_LOG} Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
2 Replies
Tk_Main(3tk)						       Tk Library Procedures						      Tk_Main(3tk)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_Main - main program for Tk-based applications SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> Tk_Main(argc, argv, appInitProc) ARGUMENTS
int argc (in) Number of elements in argv. char *argv[] (in) Array of strings containing command-line arguments. Tcl_AppInitProc *appInitProc (in) Address of an application-specific initialization procedure. The value for this argument is usually Tcl_AppInit. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_Main acts as the main program for most Tk-based applications. Starting with Tk 4.0 it is not called main anymore because it is part of the Tk library and having a function main in a library (particularly a shared library) causes problems on many systems. Having main in the Tk library would also make it hard to use Tk in C++ programs, since C++ programs must have special C++ main functions. Normally each application contains a small main function that does nothing but invoke Tk_Main. Tk_Main then does all the work of creating and running a wish-like application. When it is has finished its own initialization, but before it processes commands, Tk_Main calls the procedure given by the appInitProc argument. This procedure provides a "hook" for the application to perform its own initialization, such as defining application-specific commands. The procedure must have an interface that matches the type Tcl_AppInitProc: typedef int Tcl_AppInitProc(Tcl_Interp *interp); AppInitProc is almost always a pointer to Tcl_AppInit; for more details on this procedure, see the documentation for Tcl_AppInit. KEYWORDS
application-specific initialization, command-line arguments, main program Tk 4.0 Tk_Main(3tk)