Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Monitor a script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Monitor a script Post 302764947 by Vicky5 on Friday 1st of February 2013 06:58:59 AM
Old 02-01-2013
thank u @gary_w
Its working fine.
if f_background_command() function takes just 5 sec to complete In that case script still waits for another 25 sec.

1. So is there any solution where if f_background_command() completes lessthan 30 sec then continue execution with the rest of the lines after sleep command.
2. If the f_background_command() takes more than 30 sec then the process needs to be terminated,

#2 is achieved with gary_w's code, but #1 is not working.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help doing a script to monitor if files are go through

I am trying to do a shell script to check a folder and see if files are passing through. Now if a file did not pass through in the last 1 hour send an email. ftp----------> folder to monitor ----------->ftp Now the script that moves the file runs every sec in cron, so i do not know if i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonathan184
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with HD monitor script

Hi, I'm new to linux and I'm trying to compile a hard drive monitoring script. I've seen a few on the internet and I've attempted to stumble through but I'm stuck at my while/do scenario. I assigned the variable NUM then took the percentage from my output and cut the % so it would be just a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crocyson
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor script

Does anyone have a monitoring script in solaris that monitors the drives in an exclosure? The script should be in /bin/bash or /bin/sh thnks again This should be for solaris 10/11 looking for something that tells me a drive is down or offline.:confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: walnutpony123
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor Values

Hi All, I want a scrip to monitor values which is the out put of a certain command. Example is $ for (( c=1; c<15; c++ )); do cmu -O HTA -d HTTP-PROXY.tswebpxmp5.$c | grep -i active; done HTA_STATS_htaStatsDef.ifw_stats.streamStat.activeStreams : 2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to monitor a shell script called within a script?

HIi Guys... I am in a fix.... 1st the code : Script 123.sh looks like this : ./abc # a script which is getting called in this script while true do count=`ps -ef | grep abc | wc -l` if echo "abc is running sleep 10 fi done but the process is getting checked... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help] Script to monitor logs

Hello friends, as they are? First of all sorry for my poor English. I tell them what is my problem. I have the following script, which is basically what makes error search for a pattern within a folder containing logs. The script works fine, the problem is that whenever I find a pattern of new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: romanrsr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor the services by script

I developed for monitoring the network connections among the branch servers as I given below as script.But I don't know how to monitor the services through network script whether the services is running or not. eg : I want to check the postgres service for all the branch servers through network... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
0 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

Searching for Saas Monitor service which monitor my servers which are sitting in different providers

Sorry if this is the wrong forum Searching for Saas Monitor service which monitor my servers which are sitting in different providers . This monitor tool will take as less CPU as possible , and will send info about the server to main Dashboard. The info I need is CPU / RAM / my servers status (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script monitor website wth default tomcat script

Hi all, on our application server we have the following script that monitor the status of the website, my problem here is that i have edite the retries from 3 to 5, and the timewait to 120 second, so the script should check 5 times every 2 minutes, and if the fifth check fails it must restart... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
0 Replies
SETUID(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)