Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX script -- case
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX script -- case Post 302764897 by vbe on Friday 1st of February 2013 05:47:42 AM
Old 02-01-2013
zazzybob is correct... I think you have to keep in mind case works a bit like grep: it tried to match a variable with given values that means patterns vs conditions
And so what you are trying will not work...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix user ID's case-sensitive?

It has been quite a while since I used UNIX. I am developing a security system and I was wondering if UNIX and/or LINUX user ID's are case-sensitive. i.e. can user 'daveb' and 'Daveb' exist on the same system with completely different authorizations/priorities, etc.? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmilleville
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clear Case views on UNIX

Friends, I was asked to work on Clear Case after setting up. For this created a dynamic view by using the command, 'cleartool mkview -tag <view name> -stgloc viewstg'. Now I am not sure how to proceed further :-( May I request you to help me out in continuing further. I have a deadline in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmohan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in switch case handling in UNIX

Hi, In below code, i am expecting the output has Bye Bye But i am getting has Bye Hi Code: #!/usr/bin/bash var="Hi" cat txt.txt | while read var1 do next="Bye" case $var in Hi) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamani
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested Case in UNIX script

Hi I wanted to know if we can write a nested case in UNIX script. Something like following - Case ${sDB} in Srvr1) case ${sSchema} Sch1) DBusr=Username1 DBPwd=Pwd1 ;; Sch2) DBusr=Username2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumeet
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on case to call recursively in UNIX Shell Script

Hi, I am New to Unix Shell Scripting basically, i need some help in achieving a case statement in Shell script to call recursively That is if case having like 1 2 3 4 options , if user inputs 1 and gets executed case should ask for options again but user should not input the same input value 1,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case statement in UNIX shell script

have written the below code to check whether the string received from user is a file name or dir using case statement, but its going into default case*). #!/bin/sh #Get a string from user and check whether its a existing filename or not rm str2 rm str3 echo "enter a file \c" read fil... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohan0509
8 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitBooleanGUser3Contributed Perl DocumePerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitBooleanGrep(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitBooleanGrep - Use "List::MoreUtils::any" instead of "grep" in boolean context. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Using "grep" in boolean context is a common idiom for checking if any elements in a list match a condition. This works because boolean context is a subset of scalar context, and grep returns the number of matches in scalar context. A non-zero number of matches means a match. But consider the case of a long array where the first element is a match. Boolean "grep" still checks all of the rest of the elements needlessly. Instead, a better solution is to use the "any" function from List::MoreUtils, which short-circuits after the first successful match to save time. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. CAVEATS
The algorithm for detecting boolean context takes a LOT of shortcuts. There are lots of known false negatives. But, I was conservative in writing this, so I hope there are no false positives. AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> CREDITS
Initial development of this policy was supported by a grant from the Perl Foundation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Chris Dolan. Many rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitBooleanGrep(3)