Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Explanation of print statement - awk Post 302764757 by theflamingmoe on Thursday 31st of January 2013 11:23:07 PM
Old 02-01-2013
Thanks Corona688, you answered my question perfectly. The comma in the statement "OFS,$i" was in the original script, but it's probably a typo. I'll check it out. Thanks again Smilie

TheFlamingMoe

---------- Post updated at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Are you sure that's OFS,$i and not OFS $i ? Two things into a single %s is a syntax error as far as I know.
Checked out the above query. The awk statement doesn't work without the comma. Add the comma and things work perfectly. So I guess it's not a typo!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK explanation

Hi, Could anyone please explain why we have arr=1 - what does this statement do? awk -F\; 'FNR==NR{arr=1;next};$3 in arr' core.txt gmrd.txt Any help appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print to 2 files in awk if statement

Hi all, I have some code like this awk -F, '{ if ($1==3) print $2 > "output_file" print "1" > "new_file" }' "input_file" When I check output_file this has the correct values in it. However the new_file has 1 in it for every line in the input_file. If the input file has 20 lins then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation for printf string in awk

hi all can any one help me to understand this bdf -t vfxs | awk '/\//{printf("%-30s%-10s%-10s%-10s%-5s%-10s\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6)}' i want to understand the numbers %-30S% (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk explanation

Hello, I have recently come across this awk program. Can some one shed some light on what is taking place. awk '{!a++}END{for(i in a) if ( a >10 ) print a,i }' $FILE Best Regards, jaysunn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with explanation of awk parameters

Hello, Would someone be able to tell me exactly how this command works please? awk '!x++' As usual any help much appreciated (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sysdate inside awk print statement

Hi, I am using awk statement to extract data from a file and write a new file with certain columns rearranged and few hard coded values added to new file. Now i need to add a column with sysdate. can i do that inside the awk print statement? Now: nawk ' /^3/ BEGIN {FS=","}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk print statement for two files

Hello, is there a way to use the awk print statement on two files at once? I would like to take two columns from one file, and one column from another file and print them as consecutive columns to a third file. Seems simple...as in: file 1 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e file 2 1 t 2 u... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HugoHuhn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk find in columns with "if then" statement and print results

I have a file1.txt file1.txt F-120009210","Felix","U-M-F-F-F-","white","yes","no","U-M-F-F-F-","Bristol","RI","true" F-120009213","Fluffy","U-F-","white","yes","no","M-F-","Warwick","RI","true" U-120009217","Lity","U-M-","grey","yes","yes","","Fall River","MA","true"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles33
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If statement explanation

Could anyone please advise what the in the following if statement means? if ; then Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)