Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ERROR: `(' is not expected.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ERROR: `(' is not expected. Post 302764485 by Corona688 on Thursday 31st of January 2013 02:24:02 PM
Old 01-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis
Hi All,

I have written a shell script which works all right on bash shell, but when it comes to execute it using ksh on AIX it gives the following error:Smilie
BASH has arrays.

Most other shells don't.

If you want this to work in shells other than your favorite, you'll want to rewrite it without arrays.

We can help with that, if you could illustrate what you're trying to do.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

arguments expected error

ive implemented getopt for the command line but have this problem, #!/bin/sh text="" set -- getopt "t" etc .... #sets arguments while : do case "$1" in #gets arguments -t: shift; text="$1" ;; shift done shift if then echo "no text" else echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strike
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

binary operator expected error

It is erroring for : binary operator expected on the if line. Any suggestions? Thanks in advence. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apps_user
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR: ./launch_full_backup.sh[18]: Syntax error at line 28 : `else' is not expected.

Help please! :confused: I have the following error with the following file and the emails are not arriving to the email, any idea please? ERROR: ./launch_full_backup.sh: Syntax error at line 28 : `else' is not expected. FECHA=`date +%d%m%y%H%M`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: villenan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving error: ./ang.ksh[35]: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 116 : `done' is not expected.

Hi All I am quite new to Unix. Following is a shell script that i have written and getting the subject mentioned error. #!/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------------- # File: ang_stdnld.ksh # # Desc: UNIX shell script to extract Store information.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

fi not expected error

I'm trying this script and I keep getting a 'fi' not expected error: #!/bin/sh #TD=0 CT=0 cat P7748 |while read LINE do # Check to see if the LINE is non-empty, and has a <td> tag in it. if # Increase the TD counter by 1 CT=`echo "$CT+1" |bc` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if stmt argument expected error

CT=0 while read LINE do # Check to see if the LINE is non-empty, and has a <td> tag in it. if then # Increase the TD counter by 1 CT=`echo "$CT+1"` fi done <test.htmthrows this error: ksh: test: argument expected test.htm <tr> <td>text</td... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

integer expected error::please help ...urgent

I have written the following shell script for submitting check to nagios .It was working fine a few hours ago.I don remember what changes i made and its giving integer expression expected error. #!/bin/bash #$PGREP ${SSHD} if ] then echo "ssh down" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nasir_khan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error: integer expression expected

root@server01 # df -h | grep /tmp | awk {'print $3}' 252M root@server01 # root@server01 # cat /usr/local/tmpchk.sh #!/bin/sh x=`df -h | grep /tmp | awk {'print $3}'` if ; then rm -fr /tmp/somefolder/ else echo "its small" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

9. Programming

Synchronization of threads C. Error: Expected ')' before ';'

Hi, I'm trying to solve an assignement on school where we are supposed to synchronize two threads and write out their ID every other time. I've written down the code for the two threadFunctions which is associated with two threads created in the main function. What I'm trying to achieve... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjallamander
5 Replies

10. Programming

Please Help ! ----> error: expected ‘=’,

#include<stdio.h> int main{ char *fl; fl=(char*)malloc(150); strcat(fl,"/tmp/OV/"); printf("\nInside fl--->%s\n",fl); return 0; } I wrote a simple program as above. I got the error error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘{’ token Please help me out ! I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
4 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)