Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using grep with hyphens
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using grep with hyphens Post 302764449 by DGPickett on Thursday 31st of January 2013 01:53:38 PM
Old 01-31-2013
You might tr the hyphens to underscores (and vice versa?) on a pipe to grep optioned to print out the line numbers and fetch those lines from the original file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for certain files using a file as input to grep and then move

Hi All, I need to grep few files which has words like the below in the file name , which i want to put it in a file and and grep for the files which contain these names and move it to a new directory , full file name -C20091210.1000-20091210.1100_SMGBSC3:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anita07
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming mutiple files with hyphens in name

I have searched throught a host of threads to figure out how to rename mutiple files at once using a script. I need to convert 200+ files from: fKITLS_120605-0002-00001-000001.hdr to eStroop_001.hdr fKITLS_120605-0002-00002-000002.hdr to eStroop_002.hdr and so forth.... What is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akenne3
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Filenames with hyphens - UNIX style?

Hello everyone! Filenames with hyphens instead of everything else that can be as a space - is it particularly UNIX style of naming or a general practice? It kinda is so in my mind that DOS guys use underscores as spaces and UNIX guys use dashes. Is it so? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest115
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping grep into awk, read the next line using grep

Hi, I have a number of files containing the information below. """"" Fundallinfo 6.3950 14.9715 14.0482 """"" I would like to grep for Fundallinfo and use it to read the next line? I ideally would like to read the three numbers that follow in the next line and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in Perl or awk to remove multiple hyphens

Dear all, I have a database of compound words. I want to retain only strings with a single hyphen and identify those strings which have more than one hyphen. I am giving an example below test-test test-test-test test-test-test-test-test good-for-nothing The regex/script should remove all... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
11 Replies
DPIPE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DPIPE(1)

NAME
dpipe - bi-directional pipe command SYNOPSIS
dpipe [ command [ args ] ] = [ command [ args ] ] dpipe [ command [ args ] ] = [ command [ args ] ] [ = [ command [ args ] ] ] ... DESCRIPTION
dpipe is a general tool to run two commands diverting the standard output of the first command into the standard input of the second and vice-versa. It is the bi-directional extension of the | (pipe) syntax used by all the shells. The = has been chosen as a metaphor of two parallel communication lines between the commands. It is also possible to concatenate several tools. Intermediate programs communicate using standard input and standard output with the preceding tool and alternate standard input and output (respectively file descriptors number 3 and 4) towards the following tool. If an intermediate tool should process only the data flowing in one direction use { or } as suffix for the preceding = and prefix of the following one. This tool has been written as a tool for the Virtual Distributed Ethernet. EXAMPLE
dpipe a = b processes a and b are bidirectionally connected: stdin of a is connected to stdout of b and vice-versa dpipe a = b = c a and b are connected as above. Alternate stdin of b is connected to stdout of c and alternate stdout of b to stdin of c dpipe a =} b }= c This is a cycle of pipes: stdout of a is connected to stdin of b, stdout of b with stdin of c, and stdout of c to stdin of a dpipe a =} b }={ c {= d = e all the notations can be mixed together. this is a -> b -> d -> c and back to a; alternate ports of d are connected to e OPTIONS
no options. NOTICE
Virtual Distributed Ethernet is not related in any way with www.vde.com ("Verband der Elektrotechnik, Elektronik und Informationstechnik" i.e. the German "Association for Electrical, Electronic & Information Technologies"). SEE ALSO
vde_switch(1), vde_plug(1), vde_plug2tap(1), vdeq(1). wirefilter(1). AUTHOR
VDE is a project by Renzo Davoli <renzo@cs.unibo.it>. Virtual Distributed Ethernet December 6, 2006 DPIPE(1)