Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Loop in bash file for mysql
Top Forums Programming Loop in bash file for mysql Post 302764329 by JohnGraham on Thursday 31st of January 2013 09:47:43 AM
Old 01-31-2013
Okay, you first need to assess whether or not the mysql query went OK or not. Either "set -e" at the start of the script or deal with it when you run the query.

My MySQL is rusty but I checked and you can't run queries by just appending the query string - I get errors (which end up in my variable) when I do that. In stead, do something like:

Code:
result1=$($mysqlExec --skip-column-names -B $database <<< "$query1")

Then instead of checking for the number of results, check if the string is empty.

You might also want to do a MySQL count statement (as opposed to a query) which may also be much better if the database is large. Additionally, when I do queries like that all my results end up on one line - you might want to append "limit 1" to your query to get just one result.

Hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use while loop in bash shell to read a file with 4 lines of gap

Hi , I am currently using the while loop in bash shell, as follows. while read line do echo $line done < file.txt However, i want to use the while loop on file.txt, which will read the file with 4 lines of gap. Ex- if file.txt is a file of 100 lines, then i want to use the loop such... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash mysql export to file

I'm trying to export a mysql query to a .csv file, right now I'm running a successful query like: us_id=`mysql -u $USER_NAME --password=$PASSWORD -D "databasename" \ -e "SELECT * \ FROM databasename.table \ WHERE somefield >0 AND otherfield ='$ctry' \ ORDER BY... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

MySQL Daemon failed to start - no mysql.sock file

After doing a yum install mysql mysql-server on Fedora 14 I wasn't able to fully install the packages correctly. It installed MySQL 5.1. I was getting the following error when running the: mysql ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

(BASH) Using a loop variable to grep something in a file?

Hi, I have a loop running until a variable L that is read previously in the full script. I'd like to grep some information in an input file at a line that contains the value of the loop parameter $i. I've tried to use grep, but the problem is nothing is written in the FILE files. It seems grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMini
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detail on For loop for multiple file input and bash variable usage

Dear mentors, I just need little explanation regarding for loop to give input to awk script for file in `ls *.txt |sort -t"_" -k2n,2`; do awk script $file done which sorts file in order, and will input one after another file in order to awk script suppose if I have to input 2 or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash loop to search file

In the bash when the user inputs an id to search for the bash currently closes, and if a match is found outputs a new file (match.txt). Is it possible to have not close the bash but rather, on the screen "searching for match" and if a match is found "match found in line.." is displayed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash loop to result in one file

Is there a way to use a directory with multiple files (.bam) to create one new file? The below bash loop will create a new file (header.sam) for each of the bam files. However, I only need to use 1 of the bam file to make 1 header file. I attempted a code as well, but not sure if thats... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using bash script : How to Import data from a dsv file into multiple tables in mysql

HI I have a dsv file that looks like: <<BOF>> record_number|id_number|first name|last name|msisdn|network|points|card number|gender 312|9101011234011|Test Junior|Smith|071 123 4321|MTN|73|1241551413214444|M 313|9012023213011|Bob|Smith|27743334321|Vodacom|3|1231233232323244|M... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tera
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
BP_META_GFF(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   BP_META_GFF(1p)

NAME
bp_meta_gff.pl - Get/set Bio::DB::GFF meta-data SYNOPSIS
# set the following meta data values % bp_meta_gff.pl -d testdb tag1=value1 tag2=value2 # get the indicated meta data value % bp_meta_gff.pl -d testdb tag1 tag2 DESCRIPTION
This script gets or sets metadata in a Bio::DB::GFF database. Not all adaptors support this operation! To set a series of tags, pass a set of tag=value pairs to the script. To get the contents of a series of tags, pass the bare tag names. The output from the get operation will be an easily parseable set of tag=value pairs, one per line. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS Command-line options can be abbreviated to single-letter options. e.g. -d instead of --database. --database <dsn> Mysql database name (default dbi:mysql:test) --adaptor <adaptor> Mysql adaptor (default dbi::mysqlopt) --user <user> Username for mysql authentication --pass <password> Password for mysql authentication SEE ALSO
Bio::DB::GFF AUTHOR
Lincoln Stein, lstein@cshl.org Copyright (c) 2002 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See DISCLAIMER.txt for disclaimers of warranty. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 BP_META_GFF(1p)