Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kill all proceess with the name XXX Post 302763901 by Max Rebo on Wednesday 30th of January 2013 03:50:31 PM
Old 01-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedrox
Hello guys,

I have a problem. How can i "kill -9" with the name process? I have a lot of process with the same name, but i do not want kill each one with the process ID. There is a comand to "kill -9" al process with name "XXXX".

Thanks!
Try:

Code:
kill -9 $( pidof XXXX )

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a file from XXX.tar.Z

Hi All can u please let me know how to delete a file from XXX.tar.Z file with out uncompressing this file. thanks in advance. --Bali (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xxx.tar.gz error

Hi All, We have taken data backup using gzip but when we try to restore from ex:xxx.tar.gz file got below error. invalid compressed data--crc error and invalid compressed data--length error How to recover my original data. Thanks in advance for your suggestion (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep XXX that not followed by YYY

I want to grep all lines containing blocking sess= that are not followed by 0x0 cat trace.log blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x0 rrrr...... blocking sess=121 blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x0 some other lines blocking sess=001 blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
6 Replies

5. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting entries starting with xxx

Hello, I am trying to extract all words (entries) from a file beginning with 123. For example: ververv ewfaafa 123asd 4334j fdgfgf fdfdssd 123890 xxxxx eeee sss 1234 sdfsf were sfs fbdsdfb fsdg sdgfsd bfg sdfb dsfb sdfg sdf ergerg 123pop sdfgdfg 123ww 123qq dffg Desired output: 123asd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Gnome3 locksup on new Linux kernel 12.6.xxx & 12.5.xxx

Hi Forum Ive been having a problem with the kernal(s) for some strange reason it every time I try and access the date and time/calendar or system settings it locks up the whole laptop and nothing responds. :(. This doesn't happen 11.10.xxx kernel . Any help would be much appreciated and thank you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
1 Replies
KILL(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [options] <pid> [...] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9, -SIGKILL or -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. OPTIONS
<pid> [...] Send signal to every <pid> listed. -<signal> -s <signal> --signal <signal> Specify the signal to be sent. The signal can be specified by using name or number. The behavior of signals is explained in sig- nal(7) manual page. -l, --list [signal] List signal names. This option has optional argument, which will convert signal number to signal name, or other way round. -L, --table List signal names in a nice table. NOTES Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
kill(2), killall(1), nice(1), pkill(1), renice(1), signal(7), skill(1) STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng October 2011 KILL(1)