Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert | in specific position Post 302763335 by Yoda on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 11:19:31 PM
Old 01-30-2013
Code:
awk '{ print substr($0,1,3),substr($0,4,2),substr($0,6,4),substr($0,10,2),substr($0,12); }' OFS=\| file

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert strings at certain position

Hi, I need to insert strings "0000 00" at the each line within the file. The postion is 37 to 42. ex. name1 name2 0000 00 nam name 0000 00 The "0000 00" in two lines should be lined up. I don't know why it's not lined up when I posted it. Can anyone help? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert server name in position 1 on each line

Hello, It has been a long time since I have written unix code and I need to insert a variable into the first position of each line in a file. Below is an example of the script and the desired output file Here is my short script server="$(hostname)" df -kg | awk '{print $1, $2, $3, $4,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlc198842
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a line and insert string into specific at position

Hi, guys. I have one question: How can I search for a line with certain string in it and then insert a string into this line? For example: There is a file called shadow, the contents of it are below: ************************** ... yuanz:VIRADxMsadfDF/Q:0:0:50:7:::... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a text from a specific row into a specific column using SED or AWK

Hi, I am having trouble converting a text file. I have been working for this whole day now, still i couldn't make it. Here is how the text file looks: _______________________________________________________ DEVICE STATUS INFORMATION FOR LOCATION 1: OPER STATES: Disabled E:Enabled ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Issemael
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace specific character and specific position

I am trying to use sed to replace specific characters at a specific position in the file with a different value... can this be done? Example: File: A0199999123 A0199999124 A0199999125 Need to replace 99999 in positions 3-7 with 88888. Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmer22
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert character in particular position.

I want to insert space in 7th position of all the lines usign vi editor or sed command Input file 12345689010 abcdefghijk . . Output file 123456 89010 abcdef ghijk . . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitute a string on a specific position for specific lines

I woud like to substitue a string on a specific position for specific lines I've got a file and I would like to change a specific string from "TOCHANGE" to "ABCABCAB" For every line (except 1,2, 3 and the last one) , I need to check between the 9th and the 16th digits. For the 3rd line, I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BSF
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a '#' in the first position of all the files?

Hi All, how to insert a '#' in the first position of all the files based on a certain condition. I tried this: cat /bin/user/input_file.txt | while read a do b=`sed 's/.*song=good.*/\#&/g' $a ` echo $b > /bin/user/new/output_file.txt done input_file.txt has list of names of 10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand787
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert charactera in 1st position of specific lines using vi editor or sed command

Dear all, i am having text file like below surya rama ranga laxman rajesh reddy i want add string (OK) before a text from line 3 to 5 the result will be surya rama OK ranga OK laxman OK rajesh reddy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies
bytes(3pm)                                               Perl Programmers Reference Guide                                               bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 bytes(3pm)