Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need Some Advice - Best Distro For My System Post 302763231 by Pyramist on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 06:15:18 PM
Old 01-29-2013
Thanks for the advice! I'm currently trying to install Debian 6.0.6 via bootable USB, and when I get to the installer boot menu, both the 'Install' and 'Graphical install' options cause my computer to freeze at the boot menu. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

which distro?

Hi all, I know, it's a highly subjective and speculative question, but can anyone advise a Linux-newbie (haven't even started yet) on what distribution might be right in my case? - I have for all intents and purposes NO Linux experience. - I do have some previous IT experience. -- A... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for right distro...

Hello all! I am searching for a *nix distro for a project I am about to undertake. I have a laptop (p3 500mhz, 128MB ram, 10GB hard drive) that I would like to use as a server for VPN & possibly hosting a small personal web site. Now, here is where it gets a bit tricky. There is no optical... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DISK
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice on using awk in ksh with system date

OK I have a simple awk script: $ awk '/03\/11\/10/' foofile|awk -f finderrors.awk I want to use in the ksh script to so that I can do something like this: #!/bin/ksh TODAY=`date +"%D"` awk /$TODAY/ foofile|awk -f finderrors.awk The problem I am having is (I believe) is with the special... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bike4life
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux System Administrator - Study Advice

Hello all, I really hope that this is the right Forum to post this kind of a question... I have been working in the IT support industry for nearly 3 years now. I started of providing end-user support. So enough to say that I provided my fair share of "have you tried turning it off and on"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalignas
1 Replies

5. SCO

Need advice: Copying large CSV report files off SCO system

I have a SCO Unix server from 1999 running SCO 5.0.5 and some ancient accounting software called Real World A report writer program on the system is used to generate CSV files from accounting that we write with DOSCOPY commands to 3.5" floppies In the next 60 days we will be decommissioning... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnetman
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System + Network Programming, your advice required???

Dear friends, Before putting my questions forward, I would like to put some data infront of you, hope you will help me at the end. This website Cray-Cyber - Welcome provides free access to many supercomputers and mainframe computers. When you login through ssh, they provide you with a screen,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
0 Replies

7. Programming

System + Network Programming, your advice required???

Dear friends, Before putting my questions forward, I would like to put some data infront of you, hope you will help me at the end. This website Cray-Cyber - Welcome provides free access to many supercomputers and mainframe computers. When you login through ssh, they provide you with a screen,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Advice on HP-UX system backups

Hello, forgive me if this seems a bit trivial to you but I am fairly new to HP-ux having worked with AIX for the past 15 years. We have inherited a couple of HP-ux servers without any tape drives and running Hp-ux v11. I am familiar with creating mksysbs on our AIX Nim server for recovery and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: neilh1703
12 Replies

9. Linux

How to Keep your core System and personal Data safe while updating to latest distro?

Hi everyone, Almost everything is in the title! Which partitions do you keep? Which partitions do you reformat, while doing a clean install? Personaly, I never format /var and /home partitions when I update to latest linux distribution. It has been working quite ok up to now, but I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie50
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Becoming a system administrator, need some advice.

I've been learning linux and solaris for the past couple months and have been thinking about seeking a systems admin career. Is it worth it to learn solaris? Do many companies really use it or is it a waste of my time? Would learning just linux be a better idea? I see there's more opportunity as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinramsay
2 Replies
IO::Socket::UNIX(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   IO::Socket::UNIX(3perl)

NAME
IO::Socket::UNIX - Object interface for AF_UNIX domain sockets SYNOPSIS
use IO::Socket::UNIX; DESCRIPTION
"IO::Socket::UNIX" provides an object interface to creating and using sockets in the AF_UNIX domain. It is built upon the IO::Socket interface and inherits all the methods defined by IO::Socket. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( [ARGS] ) Creates an "IO::Socket::UNIX" object, which is a reference to a newly created symbol (see the "Symbol" package). "new" optionally takes arguments, these arguments are in key-value pairs. In addition to the key-value pairs accepted by IO::Socket, "IO::Socket::UNIX" provides. Type Type of socket (eg SOCK_STREAM or SOCK_DGRAM) Local Path to local fifo Peer Path to peer fifo Listen Create a listen socket If the constructor is only passed a single argument, it is assumed to be a "Peer" specification. NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE As of VERSION 1.18 all IO::Socket objects have autoflush turned on by default. This was not the case with earlier releases. NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE METHODS
hostpath() Returns the pathname to the fifo at the local end peerpath() Returns the pathanme to the fifo at the peer end SEE ALSO
Socket, IO::Socket AUTHOR
Graham Barr. Currently maintained by the Perl Porters. Please report all bugs to <perl5-porters@perl.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-8 Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 IO::Socket::UNIX(3perl)