Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting the lines exist between the Mattched Patterns Post 302763163 by raosr020 on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 03:49:06 PM
Old 01-29-2013
RedHat Deleting the lines exist between the Mattched Patterns

Hi,

I have a file with the content:

Code:

for name in \
sree\
rama\
laila\
srihari\
vicky\
john
do
   echo $name
done

I need to remove all the name lines that exist between for (first line) and do line so that i can replace with new names.

Output file should look like:
Code:

for name in \
do
echo $name
done

when i use the below command, it is deleting for line and do lines as well.

Code:
sed -i '/for/,/do/d' file

Please take for line and do line as a reference because we may not sure about the number of lines between for line and do line. Those lines get changed every time.

Thanks in advance!!

-SREE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines between two patterns without deleting the second pattern

I want to delete lines like this sed '/FROM_HERE/,/TO_HERE/d' but I would like to *not* delete the second match, i.e. the TO_HERE line. How can I achieve this? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ilja
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for searching a pattern in 5 files and deleting the patterns given

Hi All, I have written the below script that searches for the pattern in a file and delete them if present. please can some one have a look and suggest the changes in the script. #!bin/sh # The pattern that user want to add to the files echo "Enter the pattern of the redirect" read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines between patterns using sed or awk

hi, Here is excerpt from my xml file <!-- The custom module to do the authentication for LDAP --> </login-module> <login-module code="com.nlayers.seneca.security.LdapLogin" flag="sufficient"> <module-option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines of a file if they exist in another file

I have a reference file that needs to remain static and another file that may or may not have duplicate rows that match the reference file. I need help with a command that will delete any duplicate rows from the second file while leaving reference file intact For example reference file would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjdamon
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines above the patterns

I want to delete 1 line above the paatern and 3 lines below the pattern and the pattern line itself, on the whole 5 lines. If there are three patterns to be deleted what to do and the final text file to be captured in a new file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razen
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines above the patterns

I want to delete 1 line above the paatern and 3 line below the pattern and the pattern line itself, on the whole 5 lines. If there are three patterns what to do and the final text file to be captured in a new file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: razen
3 Replies

8. Debian

Extract Lines Between 2 patterns if exist...

Hello. I am not having luck with sed or awk today. $ echo "$BrackListFinal" DSCF3649-DSCF3651_Brkt DSCF3649.JPG 2014-07-21 13:34:44 On 1 DSCF3649.RAF 2014-07-21 13:34:44 On 1 DSCF3650.JPG 2014-07-21 13:34:45 On 2 DSCF3650.RAF 2014-07-21 13:34:45 On 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSommers
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Deleting a process which exist every day in hold state

Hi All , There always exist one process in hold state every day which will cause savior impact if i didn't kill it. i will do it manually . Manul process is this. sudo -iu root/opt/app/root/cdlinux/ndm/bin/direct -- it will take me connect direct prompt Sel proc ; -- it will displays... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phani369
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)