Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Directory permissions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Directory permissions Post 302763109 by DGPickett on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 02:08:22 PM
Old 01-29-2013
File permissions is one reason we invented servers, so you can submit your data to a service and all storage is owned by the server id.

Another way is to create a copy command that is setuid/setgid marked, so when people copy with it the file ownership is constant. Commands with set purposely ignore LD_LIBRARY_PATH when linking, so they need to be statically linked or linked with -R to remember library paths.

A root setuid command could be written and installed to setuid and setgid just the files in that directory to just that id and group.

Finally, a cron or looping daemon could poll for foreign files, rename them, cp -p them to the original name and delete the original.
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory permissions and CHMOD

I am working on a new UNIX box that has been delivered to us, and noticed that the /home directory has 555 permissions on it (dr-xr-xr-x). Any attempt to create write permissions fails on this directory (such as chmod 777), responding only with a message; chmod: WARNING: can't change home ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncarmstrong
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

default directory permissions

Hello, Is there a way to set the default permissions for a specific directory and all it's files and subdirectories? For example: I want the general umask to be -rwxr-x--- But I want the default for the cgi-bin directory and everything below it to be -rwxr-xr-x So that when I put... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thumpasorus
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine owner directory permissions from within the directory

From within a directory, how do I determine whether I have write permission for it. test -w pwd ; echo ? This doesn't work as it returns false, even though I have write permission. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permissions of a directory

Read and write bits make sense for a directory but what about the execute permission bit What does that imply?Is it just a filler? Saurabh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smehra
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Directory Default Permissions

Hi, I have a directory with files and sub-directories. Users write files to it by using copy/create/tar/ftp etc. I want this directory to have default permissions of 775 (for its files and sub-dir as well). I tried the below 2 ways but they are not upto my exact requirement so i need a better... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change permissions in a certain directory?

Hi , I have a situation where plenty of users log in to the same directory and put in files. When they put in the files, I need those files to become group writable (chmod g+w) automatically. I have no control over the users' profiles. Is there a way to do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_indramo
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Permissions

Hi all. Only one of the following makes any kind of sense as a possible permission field for a UNIX file. Which one? --w------- ----rwxrwx -r-------- --rwx----- ----r----- I think it is no. 3. I dont think it would be 2, because why would you want to give groups and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawaiifiver
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shared directory permissions

I use User private groups, and have setup a new group 'team' and member users, and a shared directory owned by that group with permissions as follows: drwxrwsr-x 2 holocene team 4096 2010-05-29 14:45 holoceneshardir My objective is collaboration among group 'team' members. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking directory permissions on UNIX directory

Hi, How do i check if I have read/write/execute rights on a UNIX directory? What I'm doing is checking read access on the files but i also want to check if user has rights on the direcory in whcih these files are present. if then...... And I check if the directory exists by using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Directory Permissions for 2 users on 1 directory

we want to allow user to FTP files into a directory, and then the program (PLSQL) will read and process the file, and then move the file to other directory for archiving. the user id: uftp1, group: ftp the program run in oracle database, thus have the user Id: oraprod, group: dba how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siakhooi
2 Replies
pam_console_apply(8)					   System Administrator's Manual				      pam_console_apply(8)

NAME
pam_console_apply - set or revoke permissions for users at the system console SYNOPSIS
pam_console_apply [-f <fstab file>] [-c <console.perms file>] [-r] [-t <tty>] [-s] [-d] [<device file> ...] DESCRIPTION
pam_console_apply is a helper executable which sets or resets permissions on device nodes. If /var/run/console.lock exists, pam_console_apply will grant permissions to the user listed therein. If the lock file does not exist, permissions are reset according to defaults set in console.perms files, normally configured to set permissions on devices so that root owns them. When initializing its configuration it first parses the /etc/security/console.perms file and then it searches for files ending with the .perms suffix in the /etc/security/console.perms.d directory. These files are parsed in the lexical order in "C" locale. Permission rules are appended to a global list, console and device class definitions override previous definitions of the same class. ARGUMENTS
-c Load other console.perms file than the default one. -f Load other fstab file than the default one (/etc/fstab). -r Signals pam_console_apply to reset permissions. The default is to set permissions so that the user listed in /var/run/console.lock has access to the devices, and to reset permissions if no such file exists. -t Use <tty> to match console class in console.perms file. The default is tty0. -s Write error messages to the system log instead of stderr. -d Log/display messages useful for debugging. The optional <device file> arguments constrain what files should be affected by pam_console_apply. If they aren't specified permissions are changed on all files specified in the console.perms file. FILES
/var/run/console.lock /etc/security/console.perms /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms SEE ALSO
pam_console(8) console.perms(5) BUGS
Let's hope not, but if you find any, please report them via the "Bug Track" link at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/ AUTHORS
Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>, using code shamelessly stolen from parts of pam_console. Support of console.perms.d and other improvements by Tomas Mraz <tmraz@redhat.com>. Red Hat 2005/5/2 pam_console_apply(8)