Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Accidently deleted /usr contents. Post 302763043 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 11:25:14 AM
Old 01-29-2013
$oldest_file could also have contained a directory entry. Maybe the script was executed while in the root directory and /usr happened to be the oldest entry..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-29-2013 at 12:42 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab deleted accidently

I issued crontab -r accidently instead of crontab -e..n the crontab file got deleted.. is there a way to retrive it?:-( thank you:( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisam
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Directory should not be deleted, But the contents can be

Hi Guys, I have an user's home directory set to /home/A And A contains the following directories B & C Is there some way in solaris by which i can prevent the directories B and C from getting deleted by the user but the contents of the directories B & C can be deleted ? Also i have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: localhost
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleted /usr

I accidentally deleted the usr on/. How can I start the server again? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Accidentally deleted s. link /usr/lib/secure/s8_preload.so.1

I have accidentally deleted the sim link: /usr/lib/secure/s8_preload.so.1 -> /.SUNWnative/usr/lib/brand/solaris8/s8_preload.so.1 and now I can't do almost anything in my Solaris 8 container. I still have an open session to the machine. I can not create the link again because trying to run:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qwertysas
1 Replies

6. AIX

Which files can be deleted in /usr in an aix hacmp node?

Hi Can ony one advise which files can be deleted in /usr in an aix hacmp node ? Im new to aix and Im not sure which files can be deleted ? #df -g /usr Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/hd2 7.00 1.00 86% 67013 22% /usr ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
4 Replies

7. BSD

NetBSD Accidently deleted crontab for root

Someone can told me where from get the default crontab settings of root for NetBSD 6.0 please :) ### SOLVED ### The default crontab rules are in etc.tgz /var/cron/tabs/root # $NetBSD: crontab,v 1.15 2002/11/27 15:09:17 perry Exp $ # # /var/cron/tabs/root - root's crontab for NetBSD #... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: batence
0 Replies

8. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Contents deleted from /var/sadm

Hi, Somebody/somebody removed all contents /vat/sadm on Solaris 10 Sparc box. As of now server is up and running. There is no backup for this server. If we copy contents from another equivalent server, can it work ? We don't know if it will be fixed by booting form DVD also. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies
chroot(2)							System Calls Manual							 chroot(2)

NAME
chroot() - change root directory SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
causes the named directory to become the root directory, the starting point for path searches for path names beginning with path points to a path name naming a directory. The user's working directory is unaffected by the system call. The entry in the root directory is interpreted to mean the root directory itself. Thus, cannot be used to access files outside the subtree rooted at the root directory. Security Restrictions The effective user ID of the process must be a user with the privilege to change the root directory. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails and the root directory remains unchanged if one or more of the following is true: Any component of the path name is not a directory. The named directory does not exist or a component of the path does not exist. The effective user ID is not a user who has the privilege. path points outside the allocated address space of the process. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. The length of the specified path name exceeds bytes, or the length of a component of the path name exceeds bytes while is in effect. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the path name. WARNINGS
Obsolescent Interfaces is to be obsoleted at a future date. SEE ALSO
chroot(1M), chdir(2), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
TO BE OBSOLETED chroot(2)