Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Accidently deleted /usr contents. Post 302762989 by Corona688 on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 10:39:30 AM
Old 01-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacko193
You see,I don't have a backup.
Yikes.
Quote:
What I really want to know is how it happened.How did all those files got deleted in ther first place?
Difficult to say without knowing what find found, but a path name with spaces in it may cause unintended splitting whenever unquoted. /path/with /usr/ would split into '/path/with' and '/usr/' for instance.

Why this script was running as root is another good soul-searching question. Preventing program bugs from getting too out of control is one reason file permissions exist, but root bypasses all that.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab deleted accidently

I issued crontab -r accidently instead of crontab -e..n the crontab file got deleted.. is there a way to retrive it?:-( thank you:( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisam
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Directory should not be deleted, But the contents can be

Hi Guys, I have an user's home directory set to /home/A And A contains the following directories B & C Is there some way in solaris by which i can prevent the directories B and C from getting deleted by the user but the contents of the directories B & C can be deleted ? Also i have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: localhost
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleted /usr

I accidentally deleted the usr on/. How can I start the server again? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Accidentally deleted s. link /usr/lib/secure/s8_preload.so.1

I have accidentally deleted the sim link: /usr/lib/secure/s8_preload.so.1 -> /.SUNWnative/usr/lib/brand/solaris8/s8_preload.so.1 and now I can't do almost anything in my Solaris 8 container. I still have an open session to the machine. I can not create the link again because trying to run:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qwertysas
1 Replies

6. AIX

Which files can be deleted in /usr in an aix hacmp node?

Hi Can ony one advise which files can be deleted in /usr in an aix hacmp node ? Im new to aix and Im not sure which files can be deleted ? #df -g /usr Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/hd2 7.00 1.00 86% 67013 22% /usr ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
4 Replies

7. BSD

NetBSD Accidently deleted crontab for root

Someone can told me where from get the default crontab settings of root for NetBSD 6.0 please :) ### SOLVED ### The default crontab rules are in etc.tgz /var/cron/tabs/root # $NetBSD: crontab,v 1.15 2002/11/27 15:09:17 perry Exp $ # # /var/cron/tabs/root - root's crontab for NetBSD #... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: batence
0 Replies

8. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Contents deleted from /var/sadm

Hi, Somebody/somebody removed all contents /vat/sadm on Solaris 10 Sparc box. As of now server is up and running. There is no backup for this server. If we copy contents from another equivalent server, can it work ? We don't know if it will be fixed by booting form DVD also. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies
backintime(1)							   USER COMMANDS						     backintime(1)

NAME
backintime - a simple backup tool for Linux. This is command line tool. The graphical tools are: backintime-gnome and backintime-kde4. SYNOPSIS
backintime [ --backup | --backup-job | --snapshots-path | --snapshots-list | --snapshots-list-path | --last-snapshot | --last-snapshot-path | --help | --version | --license ] DESCRIPTION
Back In Time is a simple backup tool for Linux. The backup is done by taking snapshots of a specified set of folders. All you have to do is configure: where to save snapshots, what folders to backup. You can also specify a backup schedule: disabled, every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes, every hour, every day, every week, every month. To configure it use one of the graphical interfaces available (backintime-gnome or backintime-kde4). It acts as a 'user mode' backup tool. This means that you can backup/restore only folders you have write access to (actually you can backup read-only folders, but you can't restore them). If you want to run it as root you need to use 'su'. A new snapshot is created only if something changed since the last snapshot (if any). A snapshot contains all the files from the selected folders (except for exclude patterns). In order to reduce disk space it use hard-links (if possible) between snapshots for unchanged files. This way a file of 10Mb, unchanged for 10 snapshots, will use only 10Mb on the disk. When you restore a file 'A', if it already exists on the file system it will be renamed to 'A.backup.currentdate'. For automatic backup it use 'cron' so there is no need for a daemon, but 'cron' must be running. user-callback During backup process the application can call a user callback at different steps. This callback is "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/backintime/user- callback" (by default $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is ~/.config). The first argument is the progile id (1=Main Profile, ...). The second argument is the progile name. The third argument is the reason: 1 Backup process begins. 2 Backup process ends. 3 A new snapshot was taken. The extra arguments are snapshot ID and snapshot path. 4 There was an error. The second argument is the error code. Error codes: 1 The application is not configured. 2 A "take snapshot" process is already running. 3 Can't find snapshots folder (is it on a removable drive ?). 4 A snapshot for "now" already exist. OPTIONS
-b, --backup take a snapshot now (if needed) --backup-job take a snapshot (if needed) depending on schedule rules (used for cron jobs) --snapshots-path display path where is saves the snapshots (if configured) --snapshots-list display the list of snapshot IDs (if any) --snapshots-list-path display the paths to snapshots (if any) --last-snapshot display last snapshot ID (if any) --last-snapshot-path display the path to the last snapshot (if any) -h, --help display a short help -v, --version show version --license show license SEE ALSO
backintime-gnome, backintime-kde4. Back In Time also has a website: http://backintime.le-web.org AUTHOR
This manual page was written by BIT Team (<bit-team@lists.launchpad.net>). version 1.0.10 Mars 2009 backintime(1)