Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to add backslashes to end of certain lines of text Post 302762527 by icskittles on Monday 28th of January 2013 04:00:21 PM
Old 01-28-2013
Script to add backslashes to end of certain lines of text

I'd like to write up notes in a relatively readable format and then use a shell script to add LaTeX formatting. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how to add the LaTeX newline character (\\) to the end of lines without \begin{} or \end{} statements

example notes file:
\begin{enumerate}
-- first note
\begin{itemize}
-- first sub-note that spans multiple lines
so new line characters would be really nice
otherwise this gets a bit hard to read
-- second sub-note
\end{itemize}
(lather, rise, repeat)
\end{enumerate}

So far I am using sed to change -- to \item and then using a LaTeX wrapper file to add header info and pdf it:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# inputs: $1 - input notes file name (txt file)
#            $2 - output file name (pdf)

sed 's:--:\\item:g' $1 > tmpNotes.tex
# Need code to add \\ to end of text lines!

sed 's:INPUTFILE:tmpNotes.tex:' wrapper.tex > tmpWrapper.tex
pdflatex -nonstopmode tmpWrapper.tex 
mv tmpWrapper.pdf $2.pdf

Can someone tell me how to add \\ to only the text lines (that is, all lines without \begin{} or \end{})?
Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Add a column at the end of all the lines in a file

Hi Guys, :D I am very much new to UNIX. I dont have much basics of coding in UNIX, so please help me out of thi ssituation. I have a file say for ex: ABC.dtd and it contains "|" delimited data as test1|testing|test3|moving past1|runing|test4|going I need to add a column at the end... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruthless
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add text to end of text file

Hi, I assume there is a simple solution, but as usual i can't find it! How can i add a line of text to the end of a text file on a new line? i.e file.txt ________________ this is my text file ________________ file.txt ________________ this is my text file WITH A NEW LINE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leeRoberts2007
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text to the end of lines containing a word

I'm new to shell scripting, and need to add a series of commands to the ends of certain lines of text that contain a keyword. Any easy way to do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironwall
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print string at the end of lines in text file

hello, I go text file like this E:/DDD/Dyndede/wwww E:/DDD/sss.com/ffffg/fff E:/DDD/vvvvvv/dd E:/DDD/sss.com/bbbbbb E:/DDD/sss.com/nnnn/xxI want to print /alpha.jpg at the end of every lines like that E:/DDD/Dyndede/wwww/alpha.jpg E:/DDD/sss.com/ffffg/fff/alpha.jpg... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append text to end of line on all lines

Hi, I've spent some time researching for this but can't seem to find a solution. I have a file like this 1234|Test|20101111|18:00|19:00There will be multiple lines in the file with the same kind of format. For every line I need to make it this 1234|Test|20101111|18:00|19:00||create... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giles.cardew
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing lines at the end of a text file

How do you remove trailing empty lines at the end of a text file? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add strings from one file at the end of specific lines in text file

Hello All, this is my first post so I don't know if I am doing this right. I would like to append entries from a series of strings (contained in a text file) consecutively at the end of specifically labeled lines in another file. As an example: - the file that contains the values to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gus74
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a file for certain strings and add them to the end of certain lines

I have a log file which lists groups and users in the following format GROUP1 user1 user2 user3 GROUP2 user4 user5 user6 GROUP3 user7 user8 I need to change the format to: user1|GROUP1 user2|GROUP1 user3|GROUP1 user4|GROUP2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Angela S
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add text to the end of line

Seems simple but ive been searching for a good hour of so I have a text file and would like to add a string to the end of line 5 ( as an example) to ake tings hard the line number we have to add the text to is stored in a variable cunningly name $Line_to_append any ideas on how this could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunryc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting text on multiple lines, then removing a beginning and end patterns

I have a file similar to the below. I am selecting only the paragraphs with @inlineifset. I am using the following command sed '/@inlineifset/,/^ *$/!d; s/@inlineifset{mrg, @btpar{@//' $flnm >> $ofln This produces @section Correlations between seismograms,,,,}} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danette
5 Replies
LaTeX(3pm)						  LogReport's Lire Documentation						LaTeX(3pm)

NAME
Lire::OutputFormat::LaTeX - LaTeX output format. SYNOPSIS
my $format = Lire::PluginManager->get_plugin( 'output_format', 'latex' ); $format->format_report( $xml_file, $latex_file, $cfg ); DESCRIPTION
Format a XML report into LaTeX with charts. SEE ALSO
Lire::PluginManager(3pm) Lire::OutputFormat(3pm) AUTHOR
Francis J. Lacoste <flacoste@logreport.org> VERSION
$Id: LaTeX.pm,v 1.3 2006/07/23 13:16:31 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This file is part of Lire. Lire is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. Lire 2.1.1 2006-07-23 LaTeX(3pm)