Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Not able to understand use exec command Post 302762189 by tokiwinter on Monday 28th of January 2013 08:09:58 AM
Old 01-28-2013
That is expected.

Code:
$ exec 1>>ex

You are redirecting (and appending) STDOUT to file ex - hence STDOUT is no longer "connected" to your terminal.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't understand sar command

HI Experts, Can anyone pls help me to understand this.. >sar 20:05:00 1 2 1 96 20:10:00 2 2 10 87 20:15:00 1 2 19 78 20:20:00 1 2 14 83 20:25:00 1 2 16 81 20:30:00 1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shaan_dmp
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just a quickie to help me understand this command:

Hi. Im working in AIX. Oracle 9.2. In one of the backup scripts, I see this: sysback -f'/dev/rmt0' '-T chrp' '-k mp' -w '/tmpback' 'oradata_vg oraindx_vg ora misc_vg' The line here, as I know, specifies the device name, the temp file, and the volume groups. My query regards theses two: '-T... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Incremental
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell: 'exec', 'eval', 'source' - looking for help to understand

Hi, experts. Whould anybody clear explay me difference and usage of these 3 commands (particulary in bash) : exec eval source I've tryed to read the manual pages but did not get much. Also could not get something useful from Google search - just so much and so not exactly, that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Need help to understand chatr command

Hi, I am trying to find the max memory utilization of a binary file using chatr command. i gave chatr <file name>. But no where i could see the max memory usage of the file. How do you i check the memory usage of this binary file. Upto my knowledge it should be 1.75GB in HP-UX. But the does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kprasanna_79
1 Replies

5. Programming

help me understand exec() family of calls...

how does exec() do it? on successful call of exec() family of functions, they never return... how to i emulate that. assume the standard example, execl("/bin/ls","ls",NULL); now this would never return. i m trying to emulate exec()'s never to return feature... #include<unistd.h>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_d
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command - help me understand

Hello, can someone please explain me what the following commands do.. i know the output but i would like to understand the break down of what they do step by step. 1) sed -n "/ $(date +\%R -d "-1 min")/,$"p req.txt| wc -l 2) awk '/19:00/,/22:00/' app.log |grep "mytesturl"|grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niks
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to understand the output of last command

root@desktop:~# last reboot | head -1 reboot system boot 2.6.31-17-generi Tue Jan 26 12:05 - 13:52 (01:46) What does the last two fields(12:05 - 13:52 (01:46)) of the output mean? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand the output of w command

I have taken putty session of a server from two separate machines namely HOST1(3 sessions) and HOST2(1 Session) . However w command says there are 5 users Confused over the output any clue will be appreciated. # w 09:29:36 up 34 days, 15:48, 5 users, load average: 0.62, 4.33, 8.16 USER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand the command

Hi Gurus, I am new for Unix scripting. below command in one existing script. I am not able to fully understand. please help in below command, I am not able to understand what's {P=1} do thanks in advance awk 'NF==1{$3=$1;$1=L}P&&NF>=3{print $1,$3;L=$1}/^___/{P=1}' FILE (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
IO::Pager::Page(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					IO::Pager::Page(3)

NAME
IO::Pager::Page - Emulate IO::Page, pipe STDOUT to a pager if STDOUT is a TTY SYNOPSIS
Pipes STDOUT to a pager if STDOUT is a TTY DESCRIPTION
IO::Pager was designed to programmatically decide whether or not to point the STDOUT file handle into a pipe to program specified in the PAGER environment variable or one of a standard list of pagers. USAGE
BEGIN { use IO::Pager::Page; # use I::P::P first, just in case another module sends output to STDOUT } print<<HEREDOC; ... A bunch of text later HEREDOC If you wish to forgo the potential for a Broken Pipe foible resulting from the user exiting the pager prematurely, load IO::Pager::Page like so: use IO::Pager::Page hush=>1; SEE ALSO
IO::Page, IO::Pager, IO::Pager::Unbuffered, IO::Pager::Buffered AUTHOR
Jerrad Pierce <jpierce@cpan.org> Florent Angly <florent.angly@gmail.com> This module inspired by Monte Mitzelfelt's IO::Page 0.02 COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2003-2012 Jerrad Pierce o Thou shalt not claim ownership of unmodified materials. o Thou shalt not claim whole ownership of modified materials. o Thou shalt grant the indemnity of the provider of materials. o Thou shalt use and dispense freely without other restrictions. Or, if you prefer: This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.0 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.18.2 2012-09-04 IO::Pager::Page(3)