Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Not able to understand use exec command Post 302762169 by scriptor on Monday 28th of January 2013 07:44:23 AM
Old 01-28-2013
Not able to understand use exec command

Hi

i am in learning phase of unix.
i was going through exec in a unix book. below is the command
Code:
exec n>file
exec n>>file

however when i used the exec command like below , where ex is the file name
Code:
exec 2>>ex

and then do
Code:
 ls -lrt

then again when i do the
Code:
ls -lrt

to see the size of the file ex but what i see is it again appending the o/p of the
Code:
 ls -lrt

to the file ex.

from this what i understand is after running the exec command the control is not coming out the exec command.

below is the sequence which happened to me .
Code:
 $ exec 1>>ex
$ ls -lrt
$ ls -lrt
$ ls -lrt

it is not printing the o/p on the screen when i run the ls -lrt command second time.

i am just puzzled.

regards,
scriptor

Last edited by scriptor; 01-28-2013 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: typo mistake

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't understand sar command

HI Experts, Can anyone pls help me to understand this.. >sar 20:05:00 1 2 1 96 20:10:00 2 2 10 87 20:15:00 1 2 19 78 20:20:00 1 2 14 83 20:25:00 1 2 16 81 20:30:00 1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shaan_dmp
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just a quickie to help me understand this command:

Hi. Im working in AIX. Oracle 9.2. In one of the backup scripts, I see this: sysback -f'/dev/rmt0' '-T chrp' '-k mp' -w '/tmpback' 'oradata_vg oraindx_vg ora misc_vg' The line here, as I know, specifies the device name, the temp file, and the volume groups. My query regards theses two: '-T... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Incremental
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell: 'exec', 'eval', 'source' - looking for help to understand

Hi, experts. Whould anybody clear explay me difference and usage of these 3 commands (particulary in bash) : exec eval source I've tryed to read the manual pages but did not get much. Also could not get something useful from Google search - just so much and so not exactly, that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Need help to understand chatr command

Hi, I am trying to find the max memory utilization of a binary file using chatr command. i gave chatr <file name>. But no where i could see the max memory usage of the file. How do you i check the memory usage of this binary file. Upto my knowledge it should be 1.75GB in HP-UX. But the does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kprasanna_79
1 Replies

5. Programming

help me understand exec() family of calls...

how does exec() do it? on successful call of exec() family of functions, they never return... how to i emulate that. assume the standard example, execl("/bin/ls","ls",NULL); now this would never return. i m trying to emulate exec()'s never to return feature... #include<unistd.h>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_d
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command - help me understand

Hello, can someone please explain me what the following commands do.. i know the output but i would like to understand the break down of what they do step by step. 1) sed -n "/ $(date +\%R -d "-1 min")/,$"p req.txt| wc -l 2) awk '/19:00/,/22:00/' app.log |grep "mytesturl"|grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niks
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to understand the output of last command

root@desktop:~# last reboot | head -1 reboot system boot 2.6.31-17-generi Tue Jan 26 12:05 - 13:52 (01:46) What does the last two fields(12:05 - 13:52 (01:46)) of the output mean? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand the output of w command

I have taken putty session of a server from two separate machines namely HOST1(3 sessions) and HOST2(1 Session) . However w command says there are 5 users Confused over the output any clue will be appreciated. # w 09:29:36 up 34 days, 15:48, 5 users, load average: 0.62, 4.33, 8.16 USER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand the command

Hi Gurus, I am new for Unix scripting. below command in one existing script. I am not able to fully understand. please help in below command, I am not able to understand what's {P=1} do thanks in advance awk 'NF==1{$3=$1;$1=L}P&&NF>=3{print $1,$3;L=$1}/^___/{P=1}' FILE (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
EXEC(P) 						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							   EXEC(P)

NAME
exec - execute commands and open, close, or copy file descriptors SYNOPSIS
exec [command [argument ...]] DESCRIPTION
The exec utility shall open, close, and/or copy file descriptors as specified by any redirections as part of the command. If exec is specified without command or arguments, and any file descriptors with numbers greater than 2 are opened with associated redi- rection statements, it is unspecified whether those file descriptors remain open when the shell invokes another utility. Scripts concerned that child shells could misuse open file descriptors can always close them explicitly, as shown in one of the following examples. If exec is specified with command, it shall replace the shell with command without creating a new process. If arguments are specified, they shall be arguments to command. Redirection affects the current shell execution environment. OPTIONS
None. OPERANDS
See the DESCRIPTION. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
Not used. STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
If command is specified, exec shall not return to the shell; rather, the exit status of the process shall be the exit status of the program implementing command, which overlaid the shell. If command is not found, the exit status shall be 127. If command is found, but it is not an executable utility, the exit status shall be 126. If a redirection error occurs (see Consequences of Shell Errors ), the shell shall exit with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec shall return a zero exit status. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Default. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
Open readfile as file descriptor 3 for reading: exec 3< readfile Open writefile as file descriptor 4 for writing: exec 4> writefile Make file descriptor 5 a copy of file descriptor 0: exec 5<&0 Close file descriptor 3: exec 3<&- Cat the file maggie by replacing the current shell with the cat utility: exec cat maggie RATIONALE
Most historical implementations were not conformant in that: foo=bar exec cmd did not pass foo to cmd. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
Special Built-In Utilities COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 EXEC(P)