Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unique words in each line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unique words in each line Post 302761903 by vgersh99 on Sunday 27th of January 2013 11:06:33 AM
Old 01-27-2013
if delete array is not supported, the work-around is split("",array)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read all the unique words in a text file

How can i read all the unique words in a file, i used - cat comment_file.txt | /usr/xpg6/bin/tr -sc 'A-Za-z' '/012' and cat comment_file.txt | /usr/xpg6/bin/tr -sdc 'A-Za-z' '/012' but they didnt worked..... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aditya.ece1985
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the words in the same line with space or to the predefined line?

HI, cat test abc echo "def" >> test output is cat test abc def the needed output is cat test abc def and so on (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobycxa
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying x words from end of line to specific location in same line

Hello all i know it is pretty hard one but you will manage it all after noticing and calculating i find a rhythm for the file i want to edit to copy the last 12 characters in line but the problem is to add after first 25 characters in same line in other way too copy the last 12 characters... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: princesasa
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the number of unique words in a file

find the number of unique words in a file using sort com- mand. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhikamune
7 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

unique words in files of folder and its subfolders

Hello, I tried to count all unique words of all files in one folder and its subfolders. Can anybody say me, why this doesnt work: ls| find -d | cat | tr "\ " "\n"| uniq -u | wc -l ??? Cat writes only the names of those files, but not the wors, which should be in them. Thanks for any advice. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dworza
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

display unique words.

I am having a file with duplicate words how can I eliminate them ant,bat bat,cat cat a.txt | grep -bat | awk '{print $1}' expecting o/p as ant,bat,cat How can I display the output as ant,bat,cat in a single line and no duplicates exists. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shikshavarma
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search words in multiple file line by line

Hi All I have to search servers name say like 1000+ "unique names" line by line in child.txt files in another file that is a master file where all server present say "master.txt",if child.txt's server name matches with master files then it print yes else no with server name. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to identify unique words in a dictionary database

Hello, I have a dictionary which I am building for the Open Source Community. The data structure is as under HEADWORD=PARTOFSPEECH=ENGLISH MEANING as shown in the example below अ=m=Prefix signifying negation. अँहँ=ind=Interjection expressing disapprobation. अं=int=An interjection... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count unique words

Dear all, I would like to know how to list and count unique words in thousands number of text files. Please help me out thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imranrasheedamu
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies
SPLIT(3)								 1								  SPLIT(3)

split - Split string into array by regular expression

SYNOPSIS
array split (string $pattern, string $string, [int $limit = -1]) DESCRIPTION
Splits a $string into array by regular expression. Warning This function has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - Case sensitive regular expression. If you want to split on any of the characters which are considered special by regular expressions, you'll need to escape them first. If you think split(3) (or any other regex function, for that matter) is doing some- thing weird, please read the file regex.7, included in the regex/ subdirectory of the PHP distribution. It's in manpage format, so you'll want to do something along the lines of man /usr/local/src/regex/regex.7 in order to read it. o $string - The input string. o $limit - If $limit is set, the returned array will contain a maximum of $limit elements with the last element containing the whole rest of $string. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array of strings, each of which is a substring of $string formed by splitting it on boundaries formed by the case-sensitive regular expression $pattern. If there are n occurrences of $pattern, the returned array will contain n+1 items. For example, if there is no occurrence of $pattern, an array with only one element will be returned. Of course, this is also true if $string is empty. If an error occurs, split(3) returns FALSE. EXAMPLES
Example #1 split(3) example To split off the first four fields from a line from /etc/passwd: <?php list($user, $pass, $uid, $gid, $extra) = split(":", $passwd_line, 5); ?> Example #2 split(3) example To parse a date which may be delimited with slashes, dots, or hyphens: <?php // Delimiters may be slash, dot, or hyphen $date = "04/30/1973"; list($month, $day, $year) = split('[/.-]', $date); echo "Month: $month; Day: $day; Year: $year<br /> "; ?> NOTES
Note As of PHP 5.3.0, the regex extension is deprecated in favor of the PCRE extension. Calling this function will issue an E_DEPRECATED notice. See the list of differences for help on converting to PCRE. Tip split(3) is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0. preg_split(3) is the suggested alternative to this function. If you don't require the power of regular expressions, it is faster to use explode(3), which doesn't incur the overhead of the regular expression engine. Tip For users looking for a way to emulate Perl's @chars = split('', $str) behaviour, please see the examples for preg_split(3) or str_split(3). SEE ALSO
preg_split(3), spliti(3), str_split(3), explode(3), implode(3), chunk_split(3), wordwrap(3). PHP Documentation Group SPLIT(3)