Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LINES in shell programming
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting LINES in shell programming Post 302760843 by rdrtx1 on Thursday 24th of January 2013 04:17:04 PM
Old 01-24-2013
Make sure you include spaces around square brackets and "=" in if statement.
This User Gave Thanks to rdrtx1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Programming

I have a fix_table.ksh script that takes a TABLENAME and a date. So, in jk_table_file.txt I have the tables...one per line, and in jk_out_file.txt I have the date in the format I need. The following doesn not 'want' to work in a shell script... for TABLE in `cat jk_table_file.txt`; do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWK1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Programming Help

Hi, I am new to shell programming, and hve been given a request to write a shell script. Is there any good places to go to see examples of how to write shell programming scripts? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mec585858
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Programming?

For what purposes should we use shell /what are the tasks we can achieve using shell which is best book to learn shell programming and will nayone tell me diff between shell programming aand shell scripting? Thank u in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shrikrishna
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell programming

I want notes for learning Shell programming (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neha Agarwal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

{} in shell programming

Could someone please tell me what {} mean when they surround a variable? For instance, $FILE = 'basename $1' //what is passed into this script $BANK = 'dirname $1' $INFILE = ${FILE}.${BANK}.$$ What does $INFILE contain after this assignment? Please let me know Thanks G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgirijanaidu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell programming

Hi, Iam new to shell program, I want to check a file which is having same lines 2 times and i want to display it in a seperate file. File format is : AQWERTYU|1234567890 ASDFGHJK|0987654321 ZXCVBNML|1098576453 AQWERTYU|1234567890 I need to take the 1st and 4th lines in the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivas
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needs help on shell programming

Hi guys, I need some help to create a script or command :rolleyes: I do not have much experience in shell programming :confused: I have a file with the lines below on 10000 lines: 12.06.09/14:20:13 4 sms/s 12.06.09/14:20:16 4 sms/s 12.06.09/14:20:17 3 sms/s 12.06.09/14:20:18 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: julienp
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHELL PROGRAMMING

Using shell scripting, implement ‘scan.sh' that scans the file system recursively starting from current working directory and generates the file ‘index.txt' that contains a line for each file (or directory) with following fields in tab separated format: 1. The full path of the directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kranthikiran
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell programming

1)Shell program which displays a list of all files in the current directory to which you (other than owner and group) have only read and execute permission. 2)Shell program which deletes all the lines containing the word 'UNIX' in the files supplied as arguments to this program. 3)Shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ramanath
1 Replies
NOWEB(1)						      General Commands Manual							  NOWEB(1)

NAME
noweb - a simple literate-programming tool SYNOPSIS
noweb [-t] [-o] [-Lformat] [-markup parser] [file] ... DESCRIPTION
Noweb is a literate-programming tool like FunnelWEB or nuweb, only simpler. A noweb file contains program source code interleaved with documentation. When noweb is invoked, it writes the program source code to the output files mentioned in the noweb file, and it writes a TeX file for typeset documentation. The noweb(1) command is for people who don't like reading man pages or who are switching from nuweb. To get the most out of noweb, use notangle(1) and noweave(1) instead. FORMAT OF NOWEB FILES
A noweb file is a sequence of chunks, which may appear in any order. A chunk may contain code or documentation. Documentation chunks begin with a line that starts with an at sign (@) followed by a space or newline. They have no names. Code chunks begin with <<chunk name>>= on a line by itself. The double left angle bracket (<<) must be in the first column. Chunks are terminated by the beginning of another chunk, or by end of file. If the first line in the file does not mark the beginning of a chunk, it is assumed to be the first line of a documentation chunk. Documentation chunks contain text that is copied verbatim to the TeX file (except for quoted code). noweb works with LaTeX; the first doc- umentation chunk must contain a LaTeX documentclass command, it must contain usepackage{noweb} in the preamble, and finally it must also contain a LaTeX egin{document} command. Code chunks contain program source code and references to other code chunks. Several code chunks may have the same name; noweb concate- nates their definitions to produce a single chunk, just as other literate-programming tools do. noweb looks for chunks that are defined but not used in the source file. If the name of such a chunk contains no spaces, the chunk is an ``output file;'' noweb expands it and writes the result onto the file of the same name. A code-chunk definition is like a macro definition; it contains references to other chunks, which are themselves expanded, and so on. noweb's output is readable; it preserves the indentation of expanded chunks with respect to the chunks in which they appear. If a star (*) is appended to the name of an output file, noweb includes line-number information as specified by the -Lformat option (or for C if no -Lformat option is given). The name itself may not contain shell metacharacters. Code may be quoted within documentation chunks by placing double square brackets ([[...]]) around it. These double square brackets are used to give the code special typographic treatment in the TeX file. If quoted code ends with three or more square brackets, noweb chooses the rightmost pair, so that, for example, [[a[i]]] is parsed correctly. In code, noweb treats unpaired double left or right angle brackets as literal << and >>. To force any such brackets, even paired brackets or brackets in documentation, to be treated as literal, use a preceding at sign (e.g. @<<). OPTIONS
-t Suppress generation of a TeX file. -o Suppress generation of output files. -Lformat Use format to format line-number information for starred output files. (If the option is omitted, a format suitable for C is used.) format is as defined by notangle(1); -markup parser Use parser to parse the input file. Enables use of noweb tools on files in other formats; for example, the numarkup parser under- stands nuweb(1) format. See nowebfilters(7) for more information. For experts only. BUGS
Ignoring unused chunks whose names contain spaces sometimes causes problems, especially in the case when a chunk has multiple definitions and one is misspelled; the misspelled definition will be silently ignored. noroots(1) can be used as a sanity checker to catch this sort of mistake. noweb is intended for users who don't want the power or the complexity of command-line options. More sophisticated users should avoid noweb and use noweave and notangle instead. If the design were better, we could all use the same commands. noweb requires the new version of awk. DEC nawk has a bug in that that causes problems with braces in TeX output. GNU gawk is reported to work. The default LaTeX pagestyles don't set the width of the boxes containing headers and footers. Since noweb code paragraphs are extra wide, this LaTeX bug sometimes results in extra-wide headers and footers. The remedy is to redefine the relevant ps@* commands; ps@noweb in noweb.sty can be used as an example. SEE ALSO
notangle(1), noweave(1), noroots(1), nountangle(1), nowebstyle(7), nowebfilters(7), nuweb2noweb(1) Norman Ramsey, Literate programming simplified, IEEE Software 11(5):97-105, September 1994. VERSION
This man page is from noweb version 2.11b. AUTHOR
Norman Ramsey, Harvard University. Internet address nr@eecs.harvard.edu. Noweb home page at http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/noweb. local 3/28/2001 NOWEB(1)