Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vnc password hit from Retina
Special Forums Cybersecurity vnc password hit from Retina Post 302760117 by DGPickett on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 11:47:46 AM
Old 01-23-2013
If you get the password prompt, they should, also. Maybe they mean your xhost is too open?

I think the vnc password flows in the open like telnet. The is a localhost option so you have to tunnel in with ssh to connect, good for secure shops. The Xvnc listens only on 127.0.0.1 not 0.0.0.0:
RealVNC - VNC Server for Windows

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone else see a performance hit from ext3

I reinstalled my Linux box with RedHat 7.2 and used the ext3 journaling file system. This thing is a pig now. There isn't much running on the box, and performance is sad. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write catch hit ratio

Dear friends, Does any one know about alert "write catch hit ratio" on Solaris 9? How to avoid???? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Performance Hit With Many Files

Is it slower to open or create a file in a directory with 1 million files than a directory with 1000 files? How much slower? Where can I find information about this? I'm mainly concerned about JFS on AIX, but also NTFS on Windows Server. Is there a difference? I'm trying to determine a good... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyner
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to hit a url

Hi all, I have a php file that grabs xml, parses it and updates my db accordingly. I want to automate the execution of this process, rather than having to hit the url manually. I have been looking into using cron to execute a script to do this, however i'm not exactly sure what command i would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: restivz77
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hit count on a shell script

I have a unix shell script (ex.sh) written. How to find out how many users (incl. myself) have run this .sh ? I can insert code snipet at top of script if need be. - Ravi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi368
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Next Best Hit..

Hi.. I need to get the following output from the input file like this INPUT GRM1 GRM1 0 GRM1 ABC1 1 GRM1 FEQ1 2 GRM1 SED1 3 ABC2 GRM1 0 ABC2 ABC2 1 ABC2 FEQ1 2 ABC2 BED1 3 SED1 SED1 0 SED1 SED1 1 SED1 SED1 2 SED1 ABC1 3 OUTPUT: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
7 Replies

7. Solaris

How to set password for vnc software installed in windows machine?

i want user to prompt for password when ever he tries to login into solaris box using vnc software. is it possible.. each time the user tries to access a solaris box should be prompted for password. and each user can set his own password for his session? if all the above are possible which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suse 10 SP2 VNC Password

hi guys I've configured some CentOS where you can set a password for VNC and that password is requested before connecting to the normal user login But I found that Suse 10 SP3 has no such thing basically it has this configuration under /etc/xinetd.d/vnc service vnc1 { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
2 Replies

9. SuSE

Java hit

Hello, I'm having trouble looking for info for SUSIE on this CVE-2012-4681. This is basically the newest Java hit. It is mostly a web browser issue but I would like to see if the versions on our servers are vulnerable. I already found the pages/info for Solaris and RHEL. Any help would be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Retina display Macbook Pro and Solaris compatibility

Has anyone attempted to install Solaris 11 on a Macbook Pro with the new Retina display? I'm considering setting up a triple boot scenario with Windows 7, Mac OS X and Solaris 11. My goals are to learn the OS better and to gain daily exposure to it by running it as a desktop OS whenever possible. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
11 Replies
vncpasswd(1)						     Virtual Network Computing						      vncpasswd(1)

NAME
vncpasswd - change a VNC password SYNOPSIS
vncpasswd [passwd-file] DESCRIPTION
vncpasswd allows you to set the password used to access VNC desktops. It stores an obfuscated version of the password in the given file (default $HOME/.vnc/passwd). The vncserver script runs vncpasswd the first time you start a VNC desktop, and invokes Xvnc with the appro- priate -rfbauth option. vncviewer can also be given a password file to use via the -passwd option. The password must be at least six characters long, and only the first eight characters are significant. Note that the stored password is not encrypted securely - anyone who has access to this file can trivially find out the plaintext password, so vncpasswd always sets appro- priate permissions (read and write only by the owner). However, when accessing a VNC desktop a challenge-response mechanism is used over the wire making it hard for anyone to crack the password simply by snooping on the network. FILES
$HOME/.vnc/passwd Default location of the VNC password file. SEE ALSO
vncviewer(1), vncserver(1), Xvnc(1) vncconfig(1), http://www.realvnc.com AUTHOR
Tristan Richardson, RealVNC Ltd. VNC was originally developed by the RealVNC team while at Olivetti Research Ltd / AT&T Laboratories Cambridge. It is now being maintained by RealVNC Ltd. See http://www.realvnc.com for details. RealVNC Ltd 03 Mar 2005 vncpasswd(1)