Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk one liner
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk one liner Post 302759947 by cabrao on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 06:37:32 AM
Old 01-23-2013
awk one liner

The below code is a simple modified sample from a file with millions of lines containing hundreds of extra columns xxx="yyy" ...
Code:
<app addr="1.2.3.4" rem="1000" type="aaa" srv="server1" usr="user1"/>
<app usr="user2" srv="server2" rem="1001" type="aab" addr="1.2.3.5"/>

What's the most efficient awk one liner in order to have the below result? (srv-usr-addr)
Code:
server1-user1-1.2.3.4
server2-user2-1.2.3.5

P.S - Sed or perl are welcome too..

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

3 files in one awk one liner

I have three files and I have to do something like this:- File A 1232|||1111 0001||| 1232|||2222 0001||| 1232|||4444 0001||| 1232|||4444 0001||| File B 1232|1111 0001|||002222|| 1232|2222 0001|||003333|| 1232|3333 0001|||004444|| File C 1232|002222||| 1232|005555||| Files are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishal
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk one liner

input a 100 200 300 b 400 10 output a 100 a 200 a 300 b 400 b 10 Thanx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk one liner

I need a one liner to" find /pattern/ print from x lines before "pattern" to y lines after "pattern" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep-awk one liner help

Hi guys, I'm trying to create a one line command that does the following. I will post my command first so you can get the idea better: ls -larht | awk '{print $4}' | uniq | xargs grep * __________ ls -larht | awk '{print $4}' | uniq This will post the name of the groups of each file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erick_tuk
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need an awk one liner

example input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk one-liner?

Hello, I have two files... File #1 1 3 2 5 File #2 3 5 3 1 3 7 9 1 5 2 5 8 3 3 1 I need to extract all lines from File #2 where the first two columns match each line of File #1. So in the example, the output would be: 1 3 7 2 5 8 Is there a quick one-liner that would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace regex Perl one liner to AWK one liner

Thanks for giving your time and effort to answer questions and helping newbies like me understand awk. I have a huge file, millions of lines, so perl takes quite a bit of time, I'd like to convert these perl one liners to awk. Basically I'd like all lines with ISA sandwiched between... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

figuring out an awk one liner

I have googled around a bit and could not find an answer to how this works: echo $STRING | awk '$0=$NF' FS= I know what each part is doing. The record is being set to equal the last field and the field separator is being set to null so that each character is considered a field. Why can FS= be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: benalt
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk or sed one liner

I have a data base of part numbers: AAA Thing1 BBB Thing2 CCC Thing3 File one is a list of part numbers: XXXX AAA234 XXXX BBB678 XXXX CCC2345 Is there a sed one-line that would compare a data base with and replace the part numbers so that the output looks like this? XXXX AAA234... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
7 Replies
talk(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   talk(1)

Name
       talk, otalk - talk to another user

Syntax
       talk person [ttyname]

otalk person [ttyname]

Description
       The command is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user.

If  you	wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another
       host, then person is of the form :
       host!user
	or
       host.user
	or
       host:user
	or
       user@host
       The form user@host is perhaps preferred.

If you want to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name.

When first called, it sends the message
       Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine...
       talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine.
       talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine

to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing
       talk  your_name@your_machine

It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same.  Once communication is established,  the
       two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing in separate windows.  Typing Ctrl-L will cause the screen to be reprinted,
       while your erase, kill, and word kill characters will work in talk as normal.  To exit, just type your interrupt character; then moves  the
       cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal.

Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command.	At the outset talking is allowed.  Certain commands, in particular
       and disallow messages in order to prevent messy output.

In order to use the program with machines on your network that may be running earlier versions of ULTRIX, you must initiate a session  with
       the  command (/usr/ucb/otalk) instead of the command You must also respond to a request from a machine running an older version of the pro-
       gram with the command. See the Restrictions section.

Examples
       The following example demonstrates how to use the command.  In this case, user1, whose system (system1) is running ULTRIX V2.2 initiates  a
       session with user2, whose system (system2) is running ULTRIX V3.0.  User1 types the following:
       system1> talk user2@system2
       The following message appears on the screen of user2:
       Message from Talk_Daemon@system2 at 12:37 ...
       talk: connection requested by user1@system1.
       talk: respond with:  otalk user1@system1
       To establish the connection user2 follows the instructions from the Talk_Daemon and types the following at the system prompt:
       system2> otalk user1@system1

Restrictions
       The  version  of  released  with ULTRIX V3.0 uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in earlier versions. Starting with
       ULTRIX V3.0, the program communicates with other machines running ULTRIX, V3.0 (and later), and machines running 4.3  BSD  or  versions	of
       UNIX based on 4.3 BSD.

The command is not 8-bit clean. Typing in DEC Multinational Characters (DECMCS) causes the characters to echo as a sequence of a carets (^)
       followed by the character represented with its high bit cleared. This limitation makes unusable if you want to communicate using a language
       which has DECMCS characters in its alphabet.

Files
       to find the recipient's machine

to find the recipient's tty

See Also
       mail(1), mesg(1), who(1), write(1), talkd(8c)

talk(1)