Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Eliminating words from a file through ngrams stored in another file Post 302759799 by gimley on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 12:58:34 AM
Old 01-23-2013
Many thanks, but the list is large and it would involve grepping from a file. I work under windows and egrep does not always give expected results.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

UrgentPlease: compare 1 value with file values eliminating special characters

Hi All, I have file i have values like ---- 112 113 109 112 109 I have another file cat supplierDetails.txt ------------------------- 112|MIMUS|krishnaveni@google.com 113|MIMIRE|krishnaveni@google.com 114|MIMCHN|krishnaveni@google.com 115|CEL|krishnaveni@google.com... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Eliminating CR (new lines) from a file.

Hi all, I made a C++ program in dos (in dev-C++) and uploaded it on Solaris box. On opening that file with 'vim' editor i found that there is some extra new lines after each written code line. I tried to find out is the file is in dos or in unix format, with 'file' command,and i got "<file-name>.h:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KornFire
4 Replies

3. Programming

Eliminating a row from a file....

I have a file like 1 0 2 0 3 1 3 0 4 0 6 1 6 0 . . . . . . i need to eliminate values 3 0 and 6 0 in the same way there are such values in the whole file....but 3 1 and 6 1 shuld be present... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamuju
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of files that contain words stored in another file

Hi All, I have written a script on this but it does not do the requisite job. My requirement is this: 1. I have two kinds of files each with different extensions. One set of files are *.dat (6000 unique DAT files all in one directory) and another set *.dic files (6000 unique DIC files in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words in Input File with Words from a Master File

Hello, I have a complex problem. I have a file in which words have been joined together: Theboy ranslowly I want to be able to correctly split the words using a lookup file in which all the words occur: the boy ran slowly slow put child ly The lookup file which is meant for look up... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
21 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Where are package contents stored for a file, or why aren't they visible w/o right clicking the file

I was wondering about the "Show Package Contents" option in OS X. I have a keynote file that I'm looking at. Exactly where are these contents or its directory stored, because they aren't visible in the Finder window, unless I obviously right click and choose to view them. And I don't think I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract rows from file based on row numbers stored in another file

Hi All, I have a file which is like this: rows.dat 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 8 7 8 9 0 4 3 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 I have another file with numbers like these (numbers.txt): 1 3 4 5 I want to read numbers.txt file line by line. The extract the row from rows.dat based on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting concatenated words in input file with words from the same file

Dear all, I am working with names and I have a large file of names in which some words are written together (upto 4 or 5) and their corresponding single forms are also present in the word-list. An example would make this clear annamarie mariechristine johnsmith johnjoseph smith john smith... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to Insert few lines which are stored in some file before a pattern in another file

Hello, I have few lines to be inserted in file_lines_to_insert. In another file final_file, I have to add lines from above file file_lines_to_insert before a particular pattern. e.g. $ cat file_lines_to_insert => contents are abc def lkj In another file final_file, before a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search if file exists for a file pattern stored in array

Hi experts, I have two arrays one has the file paths to be searched in , and the other has the files to be serached.For eg searchfile.dat will have abc303 xyz123 i have to search for files that could be abc303*.dat or for that matter any extension . abc303*.dat.gz The following code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies
egrep(1)																  egrep(1)

NAME
egrep - search a file for a pattern using full regular expressions SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/egrep [-bchilnsv] [-e pattern_list] [-f file] [strings] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep [-bchilnsvx] [-e pattern_list] [-f file] [strings] [file...] The egrep (expression grep) utility searches files for a pattern of characters and prints all lines that contain that pattern. egrep uses full regular expressions (expressions that have string values that use the full set of alphanumeric and special characters) to match the patterns. It uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. If no files are specified, egrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line found if there is more than one input file. /usr/bin/egrep The /usr/bin/egrep utility accepts full regular expressions as described on the regexp(5) manual page, except for ( and ), ( and ), { and }, < and >, and , and with the addition of: 1. A full regular expression followed by + that matches one or more occurrences of the full regular expression. 2. A full regular expression followed by ? that matches 0 or 1 occurrences of the full regular expression. 3. Full regular expressions separated by | or by a NEWLINE that match strings that are matched by any of the expressions. 4. A full regular expression that can be enclosed in parentheses ()for grouping. Be careful using the characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and in full regular expression, because they are also meaningful to the shell. It is safest to enclose the entire full regular expression in single quotes '... '. The order of precedence of operators is [], then *?+, then concatenation, then | and NEWLINE. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep utility uses the regular expressions described in the EXTENDED REGULAR EXPRESSIONS section of the regex(5) manual page. The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/egrep and /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep: -b Precede each line by the block number on which it was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by context (first block is 0). -c Print only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Search for a pattern_list (full regular expression that begins with a -). -f file Take the list of full regular expressions from file. -h Suppress printing of filenames when searching multiple files. -i Ignore upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Print the names of files with matching lines once, separated by NEWLINEs. Does not repeat the names of files when the pat- tern is found more than once. -n Precede each line by its line number in the file (first line is 1). -s Work silently, that is, display nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Print all lines except those that contain the pattern. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep The following option is supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep only: -x Consider only input lines that use all characters in the line to match an entire fixed string or regular expression to be matching lines. The following operands are supported: file A path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. /usr/bin/egrep pattern Specify a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep pattern Specify one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -epattern_list. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of egrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of egrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found. 1 If no matches are found. 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files (even if matches were found). See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/egrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Not Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ fgrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), regex(5), regexp(5), XPG4(5) Ideally there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -E (see grep(1)). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -E. 23 May 2005 egrep(1)