Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If user input matches file contents Post 302759577 by DBnixUser on Tuesday 22nd of January 2013 02:40:42 PM
Old 01-22-2013
Thank you all for your solutions. Problem solved. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate input from user for file name

Hello, This may have been addressed already somewhere, however I am looking for the easiest/shortest way to validate a response from a user for a file name. The file name should not have any of the following characters ~`!@#$%^&*()_-+={|\:;"'<,>.?/ Further the response should not have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Multiple files by reading a input file and changing the contents

Being new to this area .I have been assigned a task which i am unable to do . Can any one please help me . Hi I have requirement where i have input file XYZ_111_999_YYYYMMDD_1.TXT and with header and series of Numbers and Footer. I want to create a mutiple output files with each file having a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargavkr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take user input and then append to another file

Hi, I have below line from the config file $__MR_CONFIG = 'userinput'; I want to get the value from the user for the "userinput" and then append the full line to another file. Can you please let me know how can I proceed on this? I am new to unix and your help is greatly appreciated.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nav123
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to place input from user into a file

as the title, how can i allow a user to key in one's name, birthday and email address and save it into a specific file i have created earlier? thank you so much for any reply. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: branred
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Processing user input in .sh file

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. script should accept the user value and then compare that value with the null. If null then assign the value "*" to the variable else will use the user inputed value. How to do this ? With Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove contents including the tag if pattern matches

Hi all, Can anyone help me on this. I have several WP sites that are affected by sql injections. But the contents are different as follows western union india belgaum western union india bolegaon western union india barhaj western union india budhana western union india belda western... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjuabraham
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User input while reading from a file

I am not able to capture the user input in this script(bash).There is prompt for user input.Could some one help me capture user input while reading afile? while read line do echo "$i" path1=$line path2=`echo $line|sed s/new_dir/old_dir/` echo "Do you want to replace?";... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: parijat guh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to search file based off user input then create new file

In the below bash a file is downloaded when the program is opened and then that file is searched based on user input and the result is written to a new file. For example, the bash is opened and the download.txt is downloaded, the user then enters the id (NA04520). The id is used to search... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
acctmerg(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      acctmerg(1M)

NAME
acctmerg - merge or add total accounting files SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/acct/acctmerg [-a] [-i] [-p] [-t] [-u] [-v] [filename] ... DESCRIPTION
acctmerg reads its standard input and up to nine additional files, all in the tacct format (see acct.h(3HEAD)) or an ASCII version thereof. It merges these inputs by adding records whose keys (normally user ID and name) are identical, and expects the inputs to be sorted on those keys. OPTIONS
-a Produce output in ASCII version of tacct. -i Produce input in ASCII version of tacct. -p Print input with no processing. -t Produce a single record that totals all input. -u Summarize by user ID, rather than by user ID and name. -v Produce output in verbose ASCII format, with more precise notation for floating-point numbers. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the acctmerg command. The following sequence is useful for making "repairs" to any file kept in this format: example% acctmerg -v <filename1>filename2 Edit filename2 as you want: example% acctmerg -i <filename2>filename1 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
acctcom(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcon(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), fwtmp(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), acct.h(3HEAD), utmpx(4), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration SunOS 5.10 22 Feb 1999 acctmerg(1M)