Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NFS problem AIX6.1
Operating Systems AIX NFS problem AIX6.1 Post 302759461 by bakunin on Tuesday 22nd of January 2013 10:41:18 AM
Old 01-22-2013
First off: it looks like you are trying to handle NIM-shares by hand: don't do that! Most NIM problems come from exporting the NIM root-tree (or a superset of it) via NFS and then trying to allocate a NIM-resource (which will create the entry in "/etc/exports" and run the export automatically). This sometimes fails for no apparent reason. Honestly, i believe this to be a weak spot in an otherwise phantastic OS.

Second: it lies in the nature of NFS to have very, very long timeouts. If - for instance - a DNS server becomes unresponsive and your exports use Domain Names instead of raw IP addresses it might look like NFS got stuck while in fact the DNS server is responsible and DNS is just trying very long to before giving up. Something like this might be the case here.

Unfortunately, really stuck NFS mounts are reasonably got rid of only by a reboot, otherwise you might have to wait for really long times (sometimes even hours) before accomplishing it.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NFS Problem !

Hi, I've mounted one of the file systems on another machine manually on /mnt located on my machine , after finishing my work i want to umount this /mnt , but all the time it says " nfs umount : /mnt : is busy " ,although it's not. so i tried to stop & start Nfs services manually (Incld :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NFS Problem

For having shared file system i've been using nfs ,but regarding this i've some problem ,when i execute "df -ak" i can see the shared file system & i can also go there & list files ,but when i want to create anything in this area (Incld. file ,dir ....) i get permission denied. (i've shared related... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nfs problem help

I am having problem mounting my nfs mount on my sun solaris 8 through automount using the automaster file. this has been working fine until today, when my workstation tries to mount the nfs mount the following error is logged in /var/adm/message NFS lookup failed for server comserv: error 7... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
2 Replies

4. AIX

nfs problem...

Got a prob.. I am trying to export a directory and mount it on to a server using NFS. My exporting goes fine as I am able to see the shares through "exportfs -v" But when I am trying to mount the directory on a the client.. I get an error.. "system call error number - 1" pls help.... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
3 Replies

5. AIX

NFS vmount problem

AIX's NFS client sends requests on high port numbers by default, and Linux rejects this as the security exposure it is. On AIX i'm use: nfso -o nfs_use_reserved_ports=1 But how i can setup it in autorun? /etc/rc.local right way ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Write problem in NFS

Hi Gurus, I am trying to share certain file with NFS. Requirement is to give access to root of another host to some file system which is shared through NFS. Step1. I entered the below line in /etc/dfs/dfstab share -F nfs -o root=sun2 /usr/src ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Problem with NFS

Hi All, I have shared a directory from Linux machine which will be accessible from other linux servers without any problem. But when I try to access ( ie mount) on other Solaris machine, it is giving below error. #mount -F nfs IP of nfs server:/share /localmountpoint nfs mount : mount:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
1 Replies

8. SuSE

Strange NFS Problem

Dear all, in one of our SLES 10 NFS Client there is this statement in its /etc/fstab: NFS-Server:/tools /tools nfs hard,bg,intr,noatime 0 0 In a case where a reboot of the NFS Server and this client is necessary - due to some reasons we have to boot the client first and then it's NFS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xunil321
2 Replies

9. AIX

Problem with NFS

Hello everyone I need to share a file system with two Aix boxes, the version is 5.3 tl9. I create the nfs and I can see the files from both servers, but the problem with one of them is that I can write on the file or If I create a new one I canīt. On the server that I create the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
5 Replies

10. AIX

problem to restart services from /etc/inittab in AIX6.1

hello, i have an AIX6.1.7.2 machine that it was upgraded recently from AIX5.3.9.4. when i kill system services that should restart automatically like /usr/sbin/cron it doesnt start. i checked my /etc/inittab file and i confirmed that this service is in respawn status so when i kill this process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies
MOUNTD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 MOUNTD(8)

NAME
mountd -- service remote NFS mount requests SYNOPSIS
/sbin/mountd [-nr] [exportsfile] DESCRIPTION
Mountd is the server for NFS mount requests from other client machines. Mountd listens for service requests at the port indicated in the NFS server specification; see Network File System Protocol Specification, RFC1094, Appendix A and NFS: Network File System Version 3 Protocol Specification, Appendix I. Options and operands available for mountd: -n The -n option allows non-root mount requests to be served. This should only be specified if there are clients such as PC's, that require it. -r The -r option allows mount RPCs requests for regular files to be served. Although this seems to violate the mount protocol specifi- cation, some diskless workstations do mount requests for their swapfiles and expect them to be regular files. Since a regular file cannot be specified in /etc/exports, the entire file system in which the swapfiles resides will have to be exported with the -alldirs flag. exportsfile The exportsfile argument specifies an alternate location for the exports file. When mountd is started, it loads the export host addresses and options into the kernel using the mount(2) system call. After changing the exports file, a hangup signal should be sent to the mountd daemon to get it to reload the export information. After sending the SIGHUP (kill -s HUP `cat /var/run/mountd.pid`), check the syslog output to see if mountd logged any parsing errors in the exports file. FILES
/etc/exports the list of exported filesystems /var/run/mountd.pid the pid of the currently running mountd SEE ALSO
nfsstat(1), exports(5), nfsd(8), portmap(8), showmount(8) HISTORY
The mountd utility first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD