Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Re-start of RHEL server
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Re-start of RHEL server Post 302759003 by venikathir on Monday 21st of January 2013 07:38:03 AM
Old 01-21-2013
if memory usage reached 100%, can we clear the cache is best option or reboot (in prod environment)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RHEL 4 U5 - Server immediate shutdown

Dear all, My server has shutdown frequently. It is AMD64, OS is RHEL 4 U5. I've seen the system log, before the shutdown occured: Jul 29 04:28:56 localhost kernel: EDAC k8 MC0: general bus error: participating processor(local node response), time-out(no timeout) memory transaction... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
2 Replies

2. Solaris

To Shut down the server. Do the Maintainance and Start Up the server

Hello All I just want to know how to Shut Down the Solaris Machines( Servers ) for Maintainance and then Start Up the Machines ( Servers ) . I think I will have to Log In as root to do that . Also how do i Check if all the services running on that server before shut down are running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercops
6 Replies

3. Red Hat

Graphical console for RHEL 5 server

hi , i installed RHEL 5 server in one machine . i am able to login through putty . But not through Exceed . i mean to say i want a graphical user interface through exceed . some other machine i am able to log in through exceed . is there any configuration is there for that one . did i miss... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rateeshkumar
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

User (Profile) Specific Start Menu for RHEL 6.1 using KDE 4.3.4

I installed RHEL 6.1 with KDE 4.3.4 using LDAP on a PC and have now the problem to specifiy a user/Profile specific start menu. I have used already the kmenuedit tool and tailored for one user a specific menu, successfully. I changed as an example the konsole submenu. The kmenuedit was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gromit
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

RHEL 6.3 Errata Server?

I'm attempting to build a RHEL 6.3 yum errata server inside our company firewall with no luck. Is this something Red Hat attempts to prevent people from doing? I have done all the steps that I've been able to find to create a repository and configure it. My two repo files look like the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redwing471
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

RHEL 4 Server con't Started....

Hi Friends, My Server is con't stated..it shows the below error.. Red hat exterprise Linux As Release 4(nahat) kernel 2.6.9-5.ELsmp on an i686 INIT : id "x" respawing too fast :disabled for 5 minutes... Please help help Thanks, Srinivas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srinivas814
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Regarding connecting to internet from RHEL 5 server

Dear All, I have a RHEL 5 server of 64 bit . I have disabled the firewalls and added the name server also in resolv.conf. I want to connect to internet inorder to link the machine with Linux Network. # I could not connect to any website from this server for ex ping google.com is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

DNS Service not Start in RHEL 6.4 64 bit

Hi All, I am new to linux and i am configuring DNS server but while i restart service it shows below given error. Please help to solve this error. # /etc/init.d/named restart Stopping named: Generating /etc/rndc.key: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chintanghanti
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Server Hang in Linux RHEL 5.5

Dear All , One of our Oracle Database Server , which got hanged a couple of days before , so that we could not login to the Server , but it was pinging. So we tried various options and at last we did a reboot of this server. To find out the root cause of the Server Hang , when i checked the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Is it mandatory or not to stop/start Applcation server ehen Restarting Database Server?

Good afternoon I need your help please. There is a Mantenance Windos which needs to Restart de Database Server 192.x.x.97 to set up some configuration Is it mandatory or not to stop/start Applcation server that runs in 192.x.x.95 ? Is it mandatory or not to stop/start apache and Tomcat?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
3 Replies
REBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 REBOOT(8)

NAME
halt, reboot -- stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
halt [-lnqu] reboot [-lnq] DESCRIPTION
The halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM (and subsequently a SIGKILL) and, respectively, halt or restart the system. The action is logged, including entering a shutdown record into the wtmp(5) file. When the system is halted with the halt command, the system is powered off. The options are as follows: -l The halt or reboot is not recorded in the system log. This option is intended for applications such as shutdown(8), that call reboot or halt and log this themselves. -n The file system cache is not flushed. This option should probably not be used. -q The system is halted or restarted quickly and ungracefully, and only the flushing of the file system cache is performed (if the -n option is not specified). This option should probably not be used. -u The system is halted up until the point of removing system power, but waits before removing power for 5 minutes so that an external UPS (uninterruptible power supply) can forcibly remove power. This simulates a dirty shutdown to permit a later automatic power on. OS X uses this mode automatically with supported UPSs in emergency shutdowns. Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom and cleanly terminating specific programs. SIGTERM TO SIGKILL INTERVAL
The SIGKILL will follow the SIGTERM by an intentionally indeterminate period of time. Programs are expected to take only enough time to flush all dirty data and exit. Developers are encouraged to file a bug with the OS vendor, should they encounter an issue with this func- tionality. SEE ALSO
wtmp(5), shutdown(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A reboot utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD