Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Disable / mute microphone from command line Post 302758127 by jnojr on Friday 18th of January 2013 01:09:37 PM
Old 01-18-2013
Question Disable / mute microphone from command line

Googling suggested "osascript -e 'set volume 0' " but that doesn't work.

I know I'd found this before... some command-line utility that had something to do with audio, mixers, whatever, but I forgot to keep it somewhere I could find it. I did find references to writing an AppleScript app, but that won't work here. I'm specifically looking for a command that comes with the OS that can be run in a bash shell.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disable the `rm -f ` command

I wish to learn how to use the alias command in .cshrc I need to change some Unix commands, like : change "rm -f " into "rm -i " or to write small scripts using alias. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamil
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Mute Question (I Think)

Is there any way to mute an application from the command line? Thanks for any help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Switchfoot
3 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Microphone doesn't work in Ubuntu 10.04

When I try to speak to the microphone, there is no echo in the speaker. I test it again by dialing Skype, there is still no sound in my side while I can hear the other side. What can I do? Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2000s
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable backslash in command line

Dear I have one problem in SCO Unix command line. I want to disable execution of commands with backslash. For example - if the user executes the following command \exec_script Here - i want the system should NOT execute this command. Can any one give me a suitable... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbu62
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to disable options from a command

Hi, I am working on a Linux machine. I need to disable 2 options from the available 6 options of a command. For eg. in the "ls" command we have various options like "l ,r, t, a, .... " From this, I need to disable option "a" So when the users type in "ls -a", they should get an error or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

SSL/TLS renegotiation DoS -how to disable? Is it advisable to disable?

Hi all Expertise, I have following issue to solve, SSL / TLS Renegotiation DoS (low) 222.225.12.13 Ease of Exploitation Moderate Port 443/tcp Family Miscellaneous Following is the problem description:------------------ Description The remote service encrypts traffic using TLS / SSL and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

8. AIX

Disable a command

I need to disable a command. For example - disabling "ls" means that when someone type "ls" - nothing happens . Somebody help ???? :confused::confused::confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies

9. Programming

C++, std:ofstream, and controlling an amplifiers mute function

Recently, I updated the unit I am running applications on with a new CODEC and amplifier; the older parts are EOL. There was a bug with the old setup. For some reason, even when a tone was not being generated, you could hear a noise emanating from the speaker when the LCD brightness was on a higher... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
2 Replies
cam(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cam(1)

NAME
cam - CPU'S AUDIO MIXER for Linux SYNOPSIS
cam [-v x,y] [--volume x,y] [-b x,y] [--bass x,y] [-t x,y] [--treble x,y] [-s x,y] [--synth x,y] [-p x,y] [--pcm x,y] [-S x,y] [--speaker x,y] [-l x,y] [--line x,y] [-m x,y] [--mic x,y] [-c x,y] [--cd x,y] [-M x,y] [--mixer x,y] [-a x,y] [--altpcm x,y] [-r x,y] [--reclev x,y] [-i x,y] [--igain x,y] [-o x,y] [--ogain x,y] [-l1 x,y] [--line1 x,y] [-l2 x,y] [--line2 x,y] [-l3 x,y] [--line3 x,y] [-3d 1|0] [--3dse 1|0] [-agc 1|0] [--agc 1|0] [-h] [-?] [--help] [-get] [-save] [-getfile filename] [-savefile filename] xcam DESCRIPTION
This is an audio mixer for Linux. You have the choice to use it with an interface or at the command line. OPTIONS
When using the interface you can use the following keys : LEFT ARROW decrease the volume of the current device. RIGHT ARROW increase the volume of the current device. UP ARROW go to previous device. DOWN ARROW go to next device. L locks or unlocks : unlocked : you can control the left and right channel separately. lock : left and right channel are controlled together. R turn on/off recording mode : red lamp : recording turned on green lamp : recording turned off 3 turn on/off 3D Stereo Enhancement (3DSE) device : when turned on green indicator 3D will be lit at the left side of main volume handle. A turn on/off microphone Automatic Gain Control : when turned on green indicator AGC will be lit at the left side of microphone volume handle. S save the settings of ALL devices in a file ($HOME/.camrc) G loads the saved settings and restores them. H shows the help screen. Q/ESC exits the program and returns to shell. NOTE: you can use upper or lower case. When using the command line options the interface is not shown. The following options are available : -v, --volume x,y Set 'volume' to x (left) and y (right) -b, --bass x,y Set 'bass' to x (left) and y (right) -t, --trebble x,y Set 'treble' to x (left) and y (right) -s, --synth x,y Set 'synth' to x (left) and y (right) -p, --pcm x,y Set 'pcm' to x (left) and y (right) -S, --speaker x,y Set 'speaker' to x (left) and y (right) -l, --line x,y Set 'line in' to x (left) and y (right) -m, --mic x,y Set 'microphone' to x (left) and y (right) -c, --cd x,y Set 'CD in' to x (left) and y (right) -I, --imix x,y Set 'mixer' to x (left) and y (right) -a, --altpcm x,y Set 'altpcm' to x (left) and y (right) -r, --reclev x,y Set 'record level' to x (left) and y (right) -i, --igain x,y Set 'input gain' to x (left) and y (right) -o, --ogain x,y Set 'output gain' to x (left) and y (right) -l1, --line1 x,y Set 'line 1' to x (left) and y (right) -l2, --line2 x,y Set 'line 2' to x (left) and y (right) -l3, --line3 x,y Set 'line 3' to x (left) and y (right) -3d, --3dse 1|0 Set 3D Stereo Enhancement to 1 (on) or 0 (off) -agc, --agc 1|0 Set Automatic Gain Control for microphone to 1 (on) or 0 (off) -get restore the saved values from $HOME/.camrc -save save the values to $HOME/.camrc -getfile filename restore the saved values from file 'filename' -savefile filename save the values to file 'filename' -h, -?, --help displays help NOTE: x and y are in range from 1 to 100. Higher or lower numbers are ignored. BUGS
None known as yet. If you find one, please let me know. AUTHOR
Jan 'TWP' VANDENBERGHE <jvdbergh@uia.ua.ac.be> cam(1)