Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Disable / mute microphone from command line Post 302758127 by jnojr on Friday 18th of January 2013 01:09:37 PM
Old 01-18-2013
Question Disable / mute microphone from command line

Googling suggested "osascript -e 'set volume 0' " but that doesn't work.

I know I'd found this before... some command-line utility that had something to do with audio, mixers, whatever, but I forgot to keep it somewhere I could find it. I did find references to writing an AppleScript app, but that won't work here. I'm specifically looking for a command that comes with the OS that can be run in a bash shell.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disable the `rm -f ` command

I wish to learn how to use the alias command in .cshrc I need to change some Unix commands, like : change "rm -f " into "rm -i " or to write small scripts using alias. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamil
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Mute Question (I Think)

Is there any way to mute an application from the command line? Thanks for any help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Switchfoot
3 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Microphone doesn't work in Ubuntu 10.04

When I try to speak to the microphone, there is no echo in the speaker. I test it again by dialing Skype, there is still no sound in my side while I can hear the other side. What can I do? Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2000s
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable backslash in command line

Dear I have one problem in SCO Unix command line. I want to disable execution of commands with backslash. For example - if the user executes the following command \exec_script Here - i want the system should NOT execute this command. Can any one give me a suitable... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbu62
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to disable options from a command

Hi, I am working on a Linux machine. I need to disable 2 options from the available 6 options of a command. For eg. in the "ls" command we have various options like "l ,r, t, a, .... " From this, I need to disable option "a" So when the users type in "ls -a", they should get an error or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

SSL/TLS renegotiation DoS -how to disable? Is it advisable to disable?

Hi all Expertise, I have following issue to solve, SSL / TLS Renegotiation DoS (low) 222.225.12.13 Ease of Exploitation Moderate Port 443/tcp Family Miscellaneous Following is the problem description:------------------ Description The remote service encrypts traffic using TLS / SSL and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

8. AIX

Disable a command

I need to disable a command. For example - disabling "ls" means that when someone type "ls" - nothing happens . Somebody help ???? :confused::confused::confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies

9. Programming

C++, std:ofstream, and controlling an amplifiers mute function

Recently, I updated the unit I am running applications on with a new CODEC and amplifier; the older parts are EOL. There was a bug with the old setup. For some reason, even when a tone was not being generated, you could hear a noise emanating from the speaker when the LCD brightness was on a higher... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
2 Replies
ossxmix(1)							 OSS User Commands							ossxmix(1)

NAME
ossxmix - Open Sound System GTK based GUI mixer program. SYNOPSIS
ossxmix [-Sbhx] [-d <dev#>] [-w <value>] [-n <value>] DESCRIPTION
ossxmix is a GTK+ based mixer applet that is used to display the mixer settings of physical and virtual audio devices. There can be several physical mixers for a single audio device. Mixers found on audio devices are controllers that set the volume, select the input, perform certain functions on the speakers or set various device characteristics. OPTIONS
-h Display usage instructions. -d<dev#> Display only mixer device dev#. If this option is not given then ossxmix will display all the mixers available on the system. -x Hides the "legacy" mixer controls. -w[value] Make the mixer slightly wider on the screen. This option affects only the selection boxes and peak meter LED bars. In most cases this option is not required. The value can be between 1 (default) and 4. -n[value] Make the mixer slightly narrower than normally. This may be necessary if the mixer is wider than the screen. The value can be 1 (default) or 2. -g[w:h] Start ossxmix window with dimnesions w:h. -b Start in background. -S Do not try to place an icon in the system tray. NOTES
o ossxmix without the -d parameter shows all the currently enabled mixers. o Standard gtk toolkit options like --display are available as well. SEE ALSO
ossdevlinks(1), ossmix(1), savemixer(1) FILES
/usr/bin/ossxmix AUTHOR
4Front Technologies 16 December 2012 ossxmix(1)